• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sexual Orientation of ANN Users

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your sexual orientation?
Straight / Heterosexual
65%
 65%  [ 109 ]
Gay / Lesbian
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Bisexual
7%
 7%  [ 13 ]
Asexual
11%
 11%  [ 19 ]
Pansexual
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Queer
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Curious / Unsure
5%
 5%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 167

P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
Masakaki wrote:
I think Queer is simply a homosexual, but for that there's a "Gay / Lesbian" option. Hmm... Confused
I explained that in the thread you responded in, with a post that was right after my explanation Rolling Eyes
manicli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Asexual reproduction FTW! Very Happy
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Just came up with this analogy for the different sexual orientations I used in the poll to help clear up some things. It's overly simplified I know but the differences between them are roughly the same.

Straight: I like peanut butter with my bread.
Gay: I like jelly with my bread.
Bisexual: I like peanut butter or jelly with my bread
Asexual: I don't like anything on my bread
Pansexual: I like anything on my bread
Queer: I like bananas on my muffin, but I'll take jelly if you're out of bananas or bread if you're out of muffins.
Curious / unsure: I prefer peanut butter on my bread, but I've been thinking about giving jelly a try / last time I tried it, it was ok.

Note: people who like peanut butter and jelly on their bread are simply polygamous bisexuals, polygamous pansexuals or possibly queer.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Pansexual reminds me of the character in "The Sot-Weed Factor" by John Barth. He concludes a list of his sexual activity with "and even the burley bark of trees."
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Pansexual reminds me of the character in "The Sot-Weed Factor" by John Barth. He concludes a list of his sexual activity with "and even the burley bark of trees."
I assure you pansexual in no way should be interpreted to mean we like to have sex with inanimate objects, critters and shrubs. I resent that generalization and misunderstanding so I must provide a proper rebuttal even if this was intended to be humorous.

A pansexual person is as unlikely to have an interest in something non-human as anyone of the other sexual orientations, and since we're more concerned with personality and versed in seeing people who they truly are inside, being pansexual actually limits our choices, not expands them. Therefore, we are typically the most committed to long lasting, monogamous relationships than any other sexual orientation out there.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
@ Past

Sorry, that was an attempt at humor.

I should note that while the long form definition makes sense and seems perfectly reasonable, it does not quite match the use of "anything" in the analogy which gives a much different impression. I was working off the analogy since I had not encountered the word before. Even if you limit it to humans, "anything" does not give the impression of someone interested in a long term exclusive relationship.

Perhaps: "I'm not sure what I want on my bread, but once I decide I will stick with it."
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@ Past

Sorry, that was an attempt at humor.

I should note that while the long form definition makes sense and seems perfectly reasonable, it does not quite match the use of "anything" in the analogy which gives a much different impression. I was working off the analogy since I had not encountered the word before. Even if you limit it to humans, "anything" does not give the impression of someone interested in a long term exclusive relationship.

Perhaps: "I'm not sure what I want on my bread, but once I decide I will stick with it."
I suppose it helps to point out that what you like on your bread is an analogy for sex and gender only. So if talking about things to put on your bread, anything can literally be anything, but from the standpoint of what it symbolizes we're still only talking about males and females including the variations and ambiguities that exist thereof.

Perhaps another way of looking at it to support the idea that pansexuality and exclusivity go hand in hand, is the notion that homosexuality and heterosexuality give the impression, to people who label themselves as such, that sex is the primary criteria for which another person would make a suitable partner. It's a visual clue "ie I'm straight, that person is the opposite sex and attractive to me hopefully I get along with them and possibly this will turn into something special." So for most people with the part up to "hopefully" they've satisfied at least half of their criteria for determining whether someone is romantically suitable for them. For pansexuals, everything before "hopefully" is mostly irrelevant. And everything after it pertains to things that are not visual, and must be investigated. So pansexuality doesn't mean everyone on earth is suitable for us, it really means NO ONE on earth is suitable for us until we've gotten a chance to know them better. And that's after the fact that their sexual orientation will eliminate about 1/2 of those no ones.

Due to the limitations and simplicity of the bread analogy I really couldn't think of a way to convey all that other than "I like anything on my bread."
Ianshelfs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
I picked curious as it's the most accurate choice for me. I'm male by the way.

I'm not attracted to guys but I do have some gay tendencies if that makes any sense. Anyways I don't think it's fair to say I'm completely straight and I'm not really bi either. I don't find men attractive and wouldn't sleep with one.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that's "curious"; it's normal. Well, it's normal if you're a mature male. I mean, I'm straight, but I'll tell you in a heartbeat if I think a guy is attractive or not. Now, I don't check out guys, but if you point at someone and then ask me, "Is he attractive?", I'll answer you. There are hot men, and I have no problem admitting that. However, admitting that doesn't make me gay or curious, it makes me observant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah straight doesn't always mean exclusively heterosexual. There's a bit of leeway in one's degree of interest in the same sex and still being considered straight. I think there should be more leeway, aka a lot of flexibility because there are the too many people who seem to abhor the slightest idea of something that may make them seem gay, or be perceived as gay to themselves. I say it's no big deal, we're all more-or- less not totally straight. But by all means if you are confident enough in your sexuality to call yourself "curious" then you may or may not be straight. The point is have fun, explore and learn about sex in the most enjoyable. productive way possible.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm straight...
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
This is an interesting poll, though the majority result is not a surprise. But wow, there are quite a few people who identify as asexual here. I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that a small minority of the population are asexual (less then bi or gay).
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't think about the attractiveness of other men often, but sometimes one can't help but notice. Curiously, I've noticed a surprising degree overlap in the traits that I think are attractive in men and those that I think are attractive in women, although they have a stronger appeal in women than in men.

Tris8 wrote:
This is an interesting poll, though the majority result is not a surprise. But wow, there are quite a few people who identify as asexual here. I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that a small minority of the population are asexual (less then bi or gay).

It is a relatively obscure orientation in the general population, but I suspect very strongly that anime fans are note a representative sample of the general population. Liking anime is an outsider interest and I imagine that various 'outsider' traits tend to cluster in people and asexuality is such a trait. Having a higher proportion of self-identified asexuals than of homosexuals does seem remarkable, but in a way, asexuals are the ultimate outsiders as they are removed from a major category of human behavior that most people assume is universal and that homosexual still practice, just in a different manner than heterosexuals. I imagine that the further one gets from the mainstream, the more asexuals you'll find. It's likely a weak correlation, but it feels intuitively plausible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
@SurrenderArtist I think you have the trappings of a good argument to put forth for a greater number of anime fans turning to asexuality than the population at large. I think the growth of asexuality is part of Japan's problem as well, with the dwindling population and the vastly decreased birth rate over the years. Is anime connected? Probably there is a correlation but not causality. I think it's just part of the mindset that a lot of Western fans share with Japanese otaku.

I think I voted heterosexual back when this started based on past experience, but to be honest I think over recent years I might be tempted to vote asexual. It's like I don't even want to bother with it anymore. Then again, this may be a sign of depression, so who knows. Did I mention I'm pretty jaded about so many different things?

I just finished watching Bunny Drop last night, and as usual my eyes teared up at a few places. One of the times was because I was struck by the fact that I'm getting closer to an age where I may never be able to experience parenthood. This affected me more strongly that I ever suspected that it might. It's not really a driving force in my life but it's something I think about from time to time. Many women I've met in the past have said they think I'd make a good father, but I'm still waiting for one that thinks I'd make a good husband, or at least one where the feeling is mutual.

Got a little off track there. Therapy session over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
It is a relatively obscure orientation in the general population, but I suspect very strongly that anime fans are not a representative sample of the general population. Liking anime is an outsider interest and I imagine that various 'outsider' traits tend to cluster in people and asexuality is such a trait. Having a higher proportion of self-identified asexuals than of homosexuals does seem remarkable, but in a way, asexuals are the ultimate outsiders as they are removed from a major category of human behavior that most people assume is universal and that homosexual still practice, just in a different manner than heterosexuals. I imagine that the further one gets from the mainstream, the more asexuals you'll find. It's likely a weak correlation, but it feels intuitively plausible.
That makes sense. As you said, it is still surprising that, in this poll at least, more people have identified as asexual than homosexual, but the high percentage does make sense.

@larinon You've just gotta find someone who is as much as a maths pervert as you are =P
But ya, finding that one person is hard...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4