• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
@ Blood-

But... But... I'm not that kind of girl, I don't want you. You stay up there in the great white frozen north.

Hmm, I think I've been on this forum too long. Shocked
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Laughing

I was wondering how long it would take us to drag you over to the dark side.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I've always been there, I just don't always let it out. When I was in college a friend advised me that "You have a very unfortunate sense of humor". I took it as a compliment. Laughing Laughing

While I was reading the earlier part of this thread, I saw all the negative replies and I couldn't argue with them, but I felt something was wrong. You need Inu Yasha.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm contemplating Buying Hellsing Ultimate OVAs collecitons 1-8, but I don't have money, I'm probably going to get money for my birthday, but I really want Persona 4: Arena, currently trying to earn money online to pay for Hellsing Ultimate.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, because I am a shameless, self-aggrandizing thought-pilferer who just spent more time than he cares to admit transferring his handwritten 'desirables' list that he began in spring of 2011 to a spreadsheet, here comes my own comprehensive list of what I'm interested in.

I've assigned each title a score from 0 to 3. This score is meant to represent the presumed quality of the release. A set of modifiers are then applied to the score. The positive ones are: High desirability, becoming scarce (but not yet out of reach), publisher imperiled (meaning the the publisher is either out of business or in danger of going out of business) and high quality release. The negative modifiers are: already seen, prohibitive (too expensive or hard to complete) and unsuitable release (i.e. of poor quality or lacking some desirable feature) These categories are not, for now, rigorously defined.

I'm still working the bugs out of the 'methodology' and my research for scarcity and prohibitive cost has not be exhaustive, but I'm content with the direction of my efforts.

I will probably try to create a spreadsheet for manga, but that will be trickier because some of the series are quite long, which will make working the facts and modifiers out unwieldy.

For this, I have sorted the titles by score. The higher the score is, the more desirable it is. Well, that's nominally true; I won't necessarily adhere rigidly, or even very closely, to this. Within scores, they are sorted alphabetically. Titles that were listed, but have already been bought are presented in gray after the titles not yet bought.

If you spot anything that might merit comment or think that there's something that seems like it should be there or think that something doesn't belong, please comment.

Priority Score 5
Rose of Versailles
Twelve Kingdoms
Wolf's Rain
Princess Tutu
Kino's Journey
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie
The Time Stranger

Priority Score 4
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd GIG
Haibane Renmei
Kids on the Slope
Kite (Blu-ray disc)
Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~
Michiko e Hatchin
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Serial Experiments Lain (Blu-ray disc)
Spice & Wolf
Spice & Wolf 2
A.D. Police Files
Birdy the Mighty: Decode
Gligamesh
Key the Metal Idol
Le Chevalier D'Eon
Madlax
Memories
Paprika
Tokyo Godfathers

Priority Score 3
Baccano!
Battle Athletes Victory
Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail
Bodacious Space Pirates
Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Claymore
Cowboy Bebop
Dominion Tank Police
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Emma: A Victorian Romance, 2nd Act
Galaxy Angel
Galaxy Angel A
Galaxy Angel S
Koi Kaze
Kurogane Communications
Magic Knight Rayearth
Magic Knight Rayearth II
Martian Successor Nadesico
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (Blu-ray disc)
Paranoia Agent
Please Save My Earth
Sweet Blue Flowers
Tweeny Witches
El Cazador de la Bruja
Flag
Galaxy Express 999
Millenium Actress
Project A-ko
Simoun

Priority Score 2
5 Centimenters Per Second
3 x 3 Eyes
Azumanga Daioh
Battle Athletes
Black Lagoon
Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage
Blue Seed
Detroit Metal City
Ergo Proxy
FLCL
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Giant Robo
Gunslinger Girl
Hellsing Ultimate
Master Keaton
Only Yesterday
Patlabor: The Mobile Police
Princess Nine
Perfect Blue
Shadow Star Narutaru
Shiki
Stellvia
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
The Irresonpsible Captain Tylor (OAV)
The Irresonpsible Captain Tylor (TV)
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Trigun
You're Under Arrest (OAV + TV)
Welcome to the NHK
Yugo the Negotiatior
Zipang
8 Man After
Adieu, Galaxy Express 999
Bubblegum Crisis
Bubblegum Crisis 2040
CANAAN
Fantastic Children
Figure 17
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society
Heat Guy J
Mezzo Forte
My-HiME
My-Otome
Parasite Dolls
Scrapped Princess
Silent Möbius
Silent Möbius the Movie
Silent Möbius the Movie 2
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Sky Crawlers
Video Girl Ai

Priority Score 1
All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku
All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku TV
Animation Runner Kuromi 2
Armored Trooper VOTOMS
Berserk
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballah
Gall Force: Stardust War
Galaxy Angel Z
Ghost in the Shell
Gunbuster
House of Five Leaves
Outlaw Star
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
Project A-ko: Plot of the Daitokuji Financial Group
Project A-ko FINAL
Project A-ko Cinderella Rhapsody
Rhea Gall Force
Roujin Z
Texhnolyze
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
This Boy Can Fight Aliens
Blue Drop
Planetes
Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~

Priority Score 0
All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku DASH
Animation Runner Kuromi
Galaxy Angel X
Gall Force: Destruction
Gall Force: Earth Chapter
Gall Force: New Era
Gunslinger Girl Il Teatreano
Lupin III (First series)
Mezzo DSA
A.D. Police
Banner of the Stars
Banner of the Stars II
Bubblegum Crash
Crest of the Stars
Gall Force: Eternal Story
Twin Signal

I think that I might have bitten off slightly more than I can chew.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:45 pm; edited 10 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
SA, we must have pretty similar taste in anime because I already own most of what is on your wish list.

*fist bump*
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
SA, we must have pretty similar taste in anime because I already own most of what is on your wish list.

*fist bump*

You own everything though, Blood- so that's inevitable Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:19 am Reply with quote
Geez, way to ruin my and SA's bromance moment, wench! Wink
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:47 am Reply with quote
@ SA
I'm surprised Master Keaton gets a middling score.I would have thought its availability would have either pushed it higher into urgent or lower into forgettaboutit.
And Gunbuster needs to be higher, of course.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
Question: Why is Roberta's Blood Trail a higher priority than the first two seasons of Black Lagoon?

And it's Tylor, not Taylor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not gonna lie, I don't know exactly how to recommend you stuff. You've always struck me as someone that would dislike character driven "moe" shows, and yet you've given Azumanga Daioh an 8/10. We do have a 66% compatible score on MAL, which is medium-high, so I'll just wing it. I almost regret skimming your essay length posts in the What Are You Watching thread. Almost. Wink

I'll just go by shows you haven't seen since only you know how fast you want to buy something after seeing it. I mean, I loved Ouran when I saw it two years ago, but I still haven't bought it yet, so I know it varies title by title.

• Beck up to P5
  • Haibane Remei up to P5
  • Haruhi Suzumiya up to P4. If you like it and the sequel, then the movie is a P5.
  • Cowboy Bebop up to P5. It's tricky because Bandai is dead, meaning it'll go OOP soon, but you would think it'd be relicensed immediately unless Bandai Visual are total jerks about it, which is likely.
  • Tylor down to P1
  • Gunbuster up to P3
  • Baccano up to P4. Get the BD. Get it.
  • Girl Who Leapt Through Time up to P4. I didn't like it as much as others, but I still enjoyed it and I feel you'd like it more than me.
  • Black Lagoon up to P5
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Shelf Life and related thread have decided me on getting Psychic Squad in my next batch.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

*fist bump*

All right, but I'm pretty sure that makes us muslim terrorists. I can probably take the heat, but you're Canadian, so it's a double knock against you.

ailblentyn wrote:
@ SA
I'm surprised Master Keaton gets a middling score.I would have thought its availability would have either pushed it higher into urgent or lower into forgettaboutit.
And Gunbuster needs to be higher, of course.

Master Keaton would be at 1, but for it being a Geneon Product, which means it gets an 'urgency' point. (Of course, if wait too long, it slips into being unobtanium, which would probably put it at 0)

For some reason, I just don't have a burning desire to see Gunbuster, even though I am interested in it. It's also pretty hard to get right now, so that sort of takes it off the table.

The King of Harts wrote:
Question: Why is Roberta's Blood Trail a higher priority than the first two seasons of Black Lagoon?

Well, all three were at the same level, but I gave Roberta's Blood Trail a 'highly anticipated' bonus because for some reason, I find Roberta particularly interesting, although I halfway think that that modifier should be restricted to titles with a merit score of 3. I'm still figuring out how this should all work.

It's a little academic anyway since we don't know much about the American release of Roberta's Blood Trail other than that it will be by FUNImation and I fully intend to preorder the rerelease of the series. I just have to get over my small mislike of the Anime Classics packaging, which looks nice, but isn't very impressive once you hold it. Of course, the old Geneon release will never be obtainably priced, so I'd better just get on with it.

The King of Harts wrote:
I'm not gonna lie, I don't know exactly how to recommend you stuff. You've always struck me as someone that would dislike character driven "moe" shows, and yet you've given Azumanga Daioh an 8/10. We do have a 66% compatible score on MAL, which is medium-high, so I'll just wing it. I almost regret skimming your essay length posts in the What Are You Watching thread. Almost. Wink

Well, Azumanga Daioh seems to be the character-oriented cute girl show that people who hate those kind of shows can like. I guess the difference is that it feels to me as though the girls of Azumanga Daioh are complete characters who are defined in relation to themselves, not the viewer.

I appreciate the attention and effort paid. You're too good to me.

The King of Harts wrote:
[*]Beck up to P5

Might not be unreasonable, I think I lowballed it a little, and besides that, I it's getting scarce and I already started collecting it, which should push it nearer to the front of the line.

The King of Harts wrote:
[*]Haibane Renmei up to P5

You know, it's ranking was an error, because I forgot to put a 'high desirability' modifier on it. That only puts it up one, but 5 only exists because Wolf's Rain looked like it was getting scarce and ADV is out of business, which makes the original release of Princess Tutu, which I was earlier persuaded to prefer, the one that I'm shooting for. (I already have the first volume)

The King of Harts wrote:
[*]Cowboy Bebop up to P5. It's tricky because Bandai is dead, meaning it'll go OOP soon, but you would think it'd be relicensed immediately unless Bandai Visual are total jerks about it, which is likely.

Oddly, even though Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorite things of all time and a keystone of my life (seriously, it defined my interests in anime and jazz as well as played a part in developing friendships that I value to this day), for some reason, I've never felt compelled to own it. On top of that, it got downgraded for being something I'd seen before (oh, so many times). Perhaps I'm hoping against hope that somebody will license that sweet new Japanese Blu-ray release for the United States. Hell, if it had the dub, I might be considering importing it.

The King of Harts wrote:
[*]Baccano up to P4. Get the BD. Get it.

I think that I had noticed that it was an Aniplex release and instinctively dinged it as prohibitively priced.

The King of Harts wrote:
[*]Girl Who Leapt Through Time up to P4. I didn't like it as much as others, but I still enjoyed it and I feel you'd like it more than me.

I do want to deepen my 'anime films on Blu-ray' bench, especially since I'm running out of OVAs for those times when I want to watch something, but don't want to commit to starting a series.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
@Surrender Artist
I don't really know your tastes, but I thought I might throw in my 2 cents about some of the titles. I agree with most of your priorities.

Beck: I would probably knock this one up a notch to P4 as the singles seem to be getting harder to get at reasonable prices (the last time I looked) and its already been moved to the SAVE edition. I own the singles with the amp art box.

Millennium Actress: May go OOP and its also starting to get pricey. I would move this to P4 and if you are already a Satoshi Kon fan to P5.

Moribito: Whatever is going on with Media Blasters would make me nervous enough to bump this to P5. Warning my BD version has weird echoes in the second volume. I have to try it in another BD-player to check if it was an issue with the player or my disks.

Paranoia Agent: OOP and pricey, but you can get it for the cheap, cheap price of 3K from this merchant Link. Unless you get real lucky and find a used one at a bargain price, I would say wait to see if it gets license rescued or import it (Australia has it and there is a Japanese BD).

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence: I own the steel case DVD version. You can still find the regular DVD version (no not the crappy one with hearing impaired subtitles) occasionally at reasonable prices (both new and used), but the longer you wait the harder it will be. If its DVD version I might move it up to P4 especially if you are a fan of the original movie. If you are not a fan and don't have to have it, then I'd leave it at P2. The BD version, yea I've seen it going for $150-200 on ebay. I think you can import it for about $50 if you really need it in BD.

Perfect Blue: Brand new versions seem to be hovering around $40 (that's the more reasonable price), used seem in the $25-30 range at “like new” and again when reasonable. If you are not adverse to buying used then P4 or P5 depending how bad you want this classic.

Zipang: I've given up on this one. I was always fascinated with the idea and what I've heard about the show. However, some of the volumes are pricey and if I remember correctly the dub was atrocious and the show didn't really finish the story. There's too many negatives there, I might drop that to P1.

Anyways, those are my opinions take them with a grain of salt.
supercreep

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I liked the idea of all of us coming together to work on this list Laughing

Paranoia Agent was my wholly grail, and took me a very long time to assemble. I got very lucky with an ebay auction from a used bookstore that didn't know the value of what they had. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that all of Satoshi Kon's works are going out of print.

Cowboy Bebop was also a huge influence me, but unlike you I bought it as soon as I could. After this long if it's still not a priority than you might as well wait for that blu ray release, which will hopefully come sooner than Lain did.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I find this entire situation amusingly cooperative. We're all like vultures from accounting.

@ Surrender Artist
I skimmed through your MyAnime list (on this website) and the descriptions you provided, so I might not have the clearest idea of what you have already watched and your complete thoughts on the things you did watch. (For that, I would need a PDF document that compiles all of your posts from the "What Anime Are You Watching" thread. Also, you mistyped "meet" as "meat" on your Dragonauts entry, unless that was a tongue-in-cheek joke. In that case, haha.) I will, however, make the slightest of adjustments to your list:

Emma: A Victorian Romance is like the Twin Spica of anime in America (in that barely anyone wants it), except there's not much indication of it being scarce either. Downgrading the series to P2 probably won't cause you any regrets, but I hesitate suggesting lowing any title in priority.

Volume 1 of Koi Kaze is the only thing left of the show on RightStuf, while the listings for everything but the Volume 1 (without box) seem to be dwindling on Amazon (especially Volume 2, which is being sold, at best, $9.50 used and $24.99 new at the time of this posting). P3 (the level it's already in) or P4 seem like good levels to hold it in.

You rated Saikano very highly but haven't made an entry for Millennium Actress, which makes me assume that you haven't seen it. You might want to upgrade it to P4, as it also deals with how a faceless war affects a young girl and her unwavering love that carries her through life. (Mild similarities, but similarities nonetheless!) It's also steadily rising in price.

Lastly, Perfect Blue... You rated that Very Good but placed it in P2. It is now, just barely, reasonably-priced when used (as One-Eye said), for the time being. If you still want to own it, it would be best to raise it to either a P3 (if you don't have much of an urge to rewatch it) or P4 (Satoshi Kon movie collection!) before it becomes unobtanium. (Also, have you seen the Limited Edition Blu-ray Box? The packaging is incredibly creative and well done. Now if only the actual blu-ray was well-done and released here...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 79 of 132