• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 19-Year-Old Charged for Threatening AKB48 Member

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote
Of course it was a fake threat.

*the point*

*your head*

Under Mr. sickVisionz's logic I would have been arrested simply for saying that I planned to murder someone. Doesn't matter that I didn't mean it, if the law was how he wants it then I would be in jail right now. He wants everyone who even says that they'll murder someone arrested, no matter the circumstances or if the person even meant it. That's why I pulled that rhetorical stunt, to show how absurd his position is.

Pity some people needed an explanation; I thought it was clear enough as it was.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
I don't know any of the details around the actual threat but I kinda wish that, well, the Internet had policed itself. Rather than parties outside the fandom in question calling foul, I think it'd be most effective if an overwhelming number of the fandom itself (probably normal, rational people) would basically openly say something to the effect of, "Hey, that's not cool." Say what you will but public shaming is still sometimes effective in this day & age, for the better I think (when applied to truly shameful behavior).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Of course it was a fake threat.

*the point*

*your head*

Under Mr. sickVisionz's logic I would have been arrested simply for saying that I planned to murder someone. Doesn't matter that I didn't mean it, if the law was how he wants it then I would be in jail right now. He wants everyone who even says that they'll murder someone arrested, no matter the circumstances or if the person even meant it. That's why I pulled that rhetorical stunt, to show how absurd his position is.

Pity some people needed an explanation; I thought it was clear enough as it was.

If there was a stance that threats wouldn't be taken with a grain of salt, you most likely wouldn't have made that threat unless you were insane or wanted to face whatever the punishment was.

The end result would be, under my way, you're forced to do insane amounts of community service, which benefits society, and you'd be a good example to everyone else that you shouldn't be a jackass who threatens to murder people for fun, although most sane people have long been aware of this. It's win-win both ways.
Banden

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:39 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
If there was a stance that threats wouldn't be taken with a grain of salt, you most likely wouldn't have made that threat unless you were insane or wanted to face whatever the punishment was.

The end result would be, under my way, you're forced to do insane amounts of community service, which benefits society, and you'd be a good example to everyone else that you shouldn't be a jackass who threatens to murder people for fun, although most sane people have long been aware of this. It's win-win both ways.

Your "way" presumes guilt rather than innocence, and is also, explicitly, as you describe it yourself, a deliberate effort to chill free speech on a larger scale, which is despotic and repugnant.

If there's a case for stalking or harassment against the suspect in this story, that's fine. That's how it should be, and Japan's legal system will take care of it. But free societies don't squash people with "insane" punishments for minor offenses like writing a single text message in a moment of anger. (Especially if you have mental problems, which isn't all that uncommon among these kinds of celebrity stalkers?)

Even your 3,000 hours of community service idea? Did you even consider the math on it? That's four months, around the clock, not factoring in sleep or any other human necessity. For a text message. Which may or may not have been a serious threat. Which just reaffirms what was already apparent in the conversation we've been having, that you don't really spend too much time thinking about the actual results of your "way". You [labeling, judging and insulting other posters is not acceptable. Comment removed].
Genet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
...Is this debate really happening?

Seriously?

Jesus.

Anyway, good on them. From the article, it sounds like she was contacted multiple times by this guy and then he made threats against her. Maybe there's another article out detailing it more specifically, but it doesn't sound like he just posted, "LOL GONNA KILL THIS AKB48 MEMBER ROFL".
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I would love it if the internet was a nicer, safer, more respectful and more polite place. But criminalising baseless threats is not the answer.

Yes, the occasional nutcase will rant online and then go out and actually attack pedestrians with a knife. But given how many 'threats' are made each day on the internet, these cases are statistically insignificant. We only remember them - and make a huge fuss out of them - because they are so vanishingly rare.

On a final note, I'm actually surprised that those who were running the idol's website didn't just ban the dude as soon as he started getting aggro. Isn't that how the internet normally polices itself?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I would love it if the internet was a nicer, safer, more respectful and more polite place. But criminalising baseless threats is not the answer.

Why do you assume the threats are baseless?

I have a couple questions for you, and anyone objecting to this arrest.

1) Do you believe death threats should never be illegal? I mean any sort of death threat you can imagine, given in person, paper, on the internet, whatever. Do you believe there is any sort of situation where threatening to kill someone should get you in trouble?

2) Assuming you accept the idea that in at least some cases, death threats should be illegal, do you believe that the nature of the Internet somehow makes it impossible for a legitimate death threat to be posted online under any circumstances? That there's no way something posted on the internet could ever be considered a credible threat worthy of investigation?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
To answer your questions:

1): I believe that there are numerous situations in real-life (A.K.A. "meatverse") that threatening to kill someone should be illegal. Too many to list, but any situation where you are saying it to the other person's face.

2): Some death threats on the internet should be investigated. But automatic arrest? I struggle to think of a situation where it would be necessary.

Well, I suppose I can think of a few. A convicted murderer who is now out of jail and is threatening the family of one of this victims. Or an abusive ex-boyfriend threatening to kill a woman for leaving him. Or even if the two personally know one another in real life such as attending the same school or workplace. In those sorts of cases (especially the first two examples) I would be okay with the police arresting first and asking questions later.

But automatic arrests of random punks threatening people (even high-profile people) they haven't personally met? No. Not in my view.

And I don't know the frequency of idols being physically attacked in Japan by crazed fans but I'm thinking it is so rare so as to be almost unheard of. Maybe someone knows how many times it has happened?
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I have a couple questions for you, and anyone objecting to this arrest.

I'm not going to answer your questions because they're much too broad to give a single answer to. While I don't object to the arrest, my issue is related to the lack of information which makes it appear this man was arrested simply for making an internet comment.

As I've said earlier, this type of reporting is crap. When information is omitted, people can't form a proper opinion on the matter at hand.

But if you'd like an answer to both your questions, I'll give you a blanket statement and you can apply it as you deem:
Benjamin Franklin wrote:
Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4