• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Production I.G Cancels Project Due to Nonpayment

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
Let's see, properties by Xebec/I.G. Fall 2012;

Series;
Robotics;Notes
TLR Darkness

Movies
Yamato 2199
Mass Effect; Paragon Lost

Upotte!! OAD
(source; moetron.com)

If they already completed a part of it, it would indicate a series, but I really can't see either property as weak (I hope not, I'm interested in both...). But if it is one of them, TLD might be at jeopardy as I doubt 5pb/Nitro+ to be financially at risk with R;N...

Or are we perhaps talking about a later property here, Winter 2012/13? Any guesses?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
I'd imagine its an unannounced project or something that wasn't supposed to come out anytime soon. They've spent far too much money on advertising and development for Fall stuff to cancel it now.

Plus they already put out a TLR trailer a couple days ago and the OVA a week ago, so they seem set on releasing that. I'd actually consider Robotics;Notes in more trouble in the case of those two due to lack of trailers.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
What a pity we have to speculate rather than simply being told. The secrecy that habitually surrounds anime can be a real pain in the ass, sometimes.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
That's a lot of money to be losing, if they can't recoup their costs... ;_;
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
I know it isn't much, but I hope Kuroko can bring you guys back some of your money. Anime cry
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
What a pity we have to speculate rather than simply being told. The secrecy that habitually surrounds anime can be a real pain in the ass, sometimes.
The secrecy makes me wonder if they've already announced the project; there'd be little harm in clarifying if they hadn't(in fact, I'd say it'd be better to reassure everybody it wasn't anything they were expecting). The rather high amount spent also suggests that it could've been a full cour that was delivered; combine that with the date of delivery(May-July) and I start wanting to know what they worked on this year....
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
As long as there is hope to collect payment out of court they won't say who the company is. Admitting who it is publicly looks bad and could affect relations within the industry and the ability to get future projects.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
jsieczkar wrote:
As long as there is hope to collect payment out of court they won't say who the company is. Admitting who it is publicly looks bad and could affect relations within the industry and the ability to get future projects.

Which begs the question ... why bother making the issue public at all? I can understand keeping the whole thing secret, but I don't see the point of divulging everything except the name of the project.
bacondreamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Probably because IG Port may be a publicly traded company in Japan and since they lowered their income forecast, share holders are gonna ask questions and rather than trying to put out fire later, they come out and say it to avoid having to answer questions and also at the same time to see if them can shame said mystery client to cough up the money owed.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
jsieczkar wrote:
But they could've said it was an unannounced project without naming names.
jree78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't see any of those projects being the one that's being scrapped. We'll probably get a person from Funimation saying that Mass Effect is fine. So it must be a future show.

Last edited by jree78 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Just attended a 3-day convention locally...

There were several panels at the con that went over the sad state of the anime industry in the US, a dealer who bemoaned the loss of some of the companies licensing anime, and a company rep of a notable industry presence who noted that the yen-dollar currency ratios were KILLING productions in Japan.

Not at all a rosy picture.

We're down to maybe 3 companies actively licensing anime in the US (Funimation, Media Blasters, and Section 23/Sentai Filmworks). There's also Viz but they mainly distribute anime based on the manga they license and even then have been known to halt series in the middle of production if sales didn't justify continuation... their claim to fame is NOT explaining the cancellations for months.

(I don't know if I'd count Eastern/Discotek just yet... They're going after lower-margin anime at the moment. Yes, I love retro anime but I am under no delusions that this stuff sells well. I think their bread-and-butter is really the horror, martial arts, and sci fi films they license. I intend to buy a LOT more from them when I actually have spare cash!)

Anyhow, none of the companies at the start of the US licensing industry (1991/1992) exist any more or actively license anime. Streamline was among the first to die off... CPM went bankrupt a few years back. AnimEigo has refocused on samurai cinema and no longer actively pursues new licenses as its older licenses expire. As far as I know, the only thing they have in inventory are years-old copies of shows. They haven't printed anything new besides the samurai shows. ADV Films went belly up 3-5 years ago; Sentai/Section 23 is a separate corporate entity and really not the same old ADV regardless of what people think. And I could go on but most older fans know the other companies that went away due to the facts of the economy or poor planning/bad licensing.

Anime will continue to filter through the US but the online activity and cons are a distraction from the retailer realities. Sad fact, said one retailer/distributor, is that most current fans don't prize owning series and if they even RENT the films it's a miracle... Most if they see the shows are most likely watching online fansubs or (legitimate) video streams.

The idea that most shows are selling anything like 25,000 copies a month has got to be a joke. The distribution venues just don't exist for most shows beyond online distributors and even those guys have scaled back quite a bit... Can't help but think the costs are just going to continue get higher for the remaining fans who actually still buy home videos (DVD, Blu ray). With licensing having gone up 25% for new series over the past 5 years, it's inevitable. We'll probably see more shows released like Fate/Zero was in the US. Those Funimation LE BD/DVD sets and the NIS sets are going to be the standard for "inexpensive" new anime.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
What if the cancelled Production IG project was some commissioned work that was never meant for broadcast, like the religious videos that various groups in Japan have funded over the years? Does Production IG even take projects like that?
opn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Its probably mass effect. With aniplex backing robo notes its certainly not it and psycho pass which is supposedly being done by wit studios (one of production IGs studios) isn't being canned either.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
What if the cancelled Production IG project was some commissioned work that was never meant for broadcast, like the religious videos that various groups in Japan have funded over the years? Does Production IG even take projects like that?

Even if they did, there was no way they'd be shelling out near 2 million dollars to make a project like that. Its likely either an actual move or tv series that was canned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5