• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Berserk going OOP or in a stage of reprinting?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Certain berserk Volumes have fallen into the Amazon Reseller Hell just recently. Other volumes seem to be low in numbers too.

Is this classic going oop or is it just in a stage of restocking/reprinting ?
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I think Dark Horse reprints a volume every few months or so. Volume 15 was rare for some time, now it's available again.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
I think Dark Horse reprints a volume every few months or so. Volume 15 was rare for some time, now it's available again.

I did think it to be unlikely since its a big seller. I got the first 10 volumes earlier this year and was mortified to go to amazon earlier this month and find those prices on 16 & 18

So i hope your right : )
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
yeah i noticed the price creeping up and the stock creeping down so i got 16-19 recently. gotta work my way throught the 20's now. Its my favorite series though so i dont mind paying for em but if i can get em cheaper i will.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
It's probably going to get reprinted soon since it's one of their best selling series, the same happened to Blade of the Immortal last year and in a few months I was able to get the volumes that were out of print.

The same can't be said for Eden though, there still is not a word about a reprint or a new volume coming out...
-Ushio-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Not sure about Berserk as it's split with DMP, but I've noticed that other Dark Horse reprints have been redesigned with nasty black bars across the bottom of the spine for the logo.

I saw a copy of Chobits 2, and considering the cover's otherwise quite lightly coloured, the black bar really looked at odds with the rest of the design. Gantz has also gone a similar route. After 20+ volumes, the sudden change kind of stands out... guess I'd rather them just take one layout and stick with it for the whole series.

Berserk 18 and 31 looked like the harder-to-find volumes. I've got several gaps to fill in my collection, so even if there's a change to the spine a reprint would be welcome. Smile
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
I have the first 3 Cardcaptor Sakura omnibuses with a tiny logo on. I saw a reprint of the first with a horrible black bar across it and now I know volume 4 will have that and it won't match the rest and that will make me sad. I've noticed it on a few reprints of DH stuff. There's a copy of Bride of the Water God 1 in my local comic store that must be a recent reprint because it has the horrible black bar and the rest of the volumes on the shelf don't.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
The funny thing about DH and the black banner on the spine is that they only seemed to do it for a small period (I assume). Gantz 22 had the same thing happen but then volume 23 came out without it, in exactly the same format as 21

Hopefully this means that any new reprints going forward will not have this banner.
Ensof

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
ReaKon wrote:
The funny thing about DH and the black banner on the spine is that they only seemed to do it for a small period (I assume). Gantz 22 had the same thing happen but then volume 23 came out without it, in exactly the same format as 21

Hopefully this means that any new reprints going forward will not have this banner.

Gantz v. 24 arrived for me in the post yesterday. It doesn't have the black banner, so it might be safe to assume that v. 22 was an aberration for this series at least.

The black bar has been appearing on Dark Horse's recent American and European graphic novels as well - my copies of Blacksad: A Silent Hell, Channel Zero, Dollhouse and Buffy Season 9 v. 1 all have it.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berserk-Volume-18-v/dp/1593077432/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347307394&sr=8-1

from £310 new

the £10 i paid a couple months back is looking like a real bargain now
ninja noir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
I have this problem too. The next volume I need is 14, which is really annoying because I was only reading the manga to get to that volume since that's the point that it continues past what the anime covered. Crying or Very sad
By_the_Jelly_Beans?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quote
ninja noir wrote:
I have this problem too. The next volume I need is 14, which is really annoying because I was only reading the manga to get to that volume since that's the point that it continues past what the anime covered. Crying or Very sad

That is the same reason I started buying the Manga as well. (Stupid cliffhangers.) I'm in the US so don't know about the buying situation elsewhere. (Looking at the other posts I seem to be in the minority.) I had a problem with volume 18 but luckily I found it at random comic book store (which they either didn't know what they had or didn't care cause they where selling it at regular price when Amazon had it at around $30 new.) A couple other ones I found at random comic book stores. So basically that is my only advice C/O random stores that sell Manga and Dark Horse comics.

Looking at the DarkHorse website it doesn't look like they are currently reprinting the old volumes. But hopefully they do, specially with the movies coming out now.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I wish DH would do whatever they need to to get Berzerk up on this digital store. I really dug the recent movie and I want to give it another shot (I tried it years ago, but didn't like it)
NeburPT

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quote
I'm really hoping for an oversized omnibus edition of Berserk, I think the current editions don't really let Miura's artwork shine and are also overpriced. The series is just too long and expensive for me to collect it any other way, I actually bought 9,10 and 11 on a sale, as I was originally thinking of buying the first 13 volumes to have the Golden Age arc complete, but now I'll just sit waiting for the omnibus if it ever happens (hey, Lone Wolf and Cub is getting one, so I can hope at least...). If any of you guys is in need of one of these volumes PM me. Wink
-Ushio-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
I bit the bullet and ordered a bunch this last month to fill the random gaps I had in my set. I now have a straight run from 1-33 so have less to worry about in terms of the OOP books... Dark Horse sure didn't make that easy though. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2