• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Butler Magica

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
I just want Yozakura Quartet to continue being released here already. Del Rey was originally in charge of it right? Does this mean Kodansha's going to continue it at some point despite it's been three years since volume 5 came out? Maybe I should just get the anime instead. -_-
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the PMMM Manga, so maybe it doesn't handle the story as well as the Anime did. But many of the criticisms that Carlo made were not problems in the Anime.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote
I thumbed thru the I DON'T LIKE YOU AT ALL, BIG BROTHER!! omnibus at B&N this past weekend.

It seemed like an interesting story, but I didn't pick it up. However, having read your wildly divergent Plus and Minus reviews I think I will.

Mark Gosdin
thenix

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
I've watched the I DON'T LIKE YOU AT ALL, BIG BROTHER!! anime and it was pretty funny. It crossed lines that usually don't get crossed with harem anime. This isn't visually though, but crude sex jokes. I wouldn't keep picking up anime/manga with the same type of humor but to see it for the first time is funny.

I've read like 10 volumes of Yorakuza Quartet. It started off great, I really loved it, but it has a lot of problems, and the main one that made me quit was how the character development drops off suddenly and devolves to 1 or 2 "funny" character traits per person. From what I remember the aliens can get drunk off something that isn't alcohol, (I forget what it is) and the main characters quirk is that she thinks eggs are real people, but she has a bottomless stomach so she keeps eating the eggs, and she's a sad drunk so she cries. Many stories just devolve into everyone being fake drunk and doing their little quirks.

I didn't mind it as much but there is a lot of stories that advance the overall plot that left me feeling like I skipped several volumes. There are unexplained characters and plot points. I didn't mind because I thought it was being slow about it, and I'd learn more (even though I didn't by the time I stopped reading it)
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
The Madoka Magica manga seems to represent Kyubey a little differently. He actually seems like an evil mastermind, giving him emotion-filled expressions when delivering dramatic lines. In the anime, he's more emotionless. Actually, logical may be a better term as he sees no need to express emotion. Delivering the same lines in the anime, he says them as if they are matter of fact and does so without expression.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
^ I'm not sure which of the 2 depictions of Kyubey I prefer. I like them both for different reasons and I'm not sure which of them he seems more evil in. The more I think about it, the more I end up scratching my head about it...
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the Madoka Magica manga (yet), but just on watching the anime alone, I really dig the "emotionless" Kyuubey. There's just something much more sinister about hearing such cold revelations coming from that blank, cutesy face. Like a doll sitting on your shelf staring at you, and the more you look back at that ultra-cute little face, the more you realize just how terrifyingly creepy it actually is.

Kyuubey, at least from what I understand, is meant to be from a species that is very different from humans. They don't hold the same values and don't possess the same emotions, which is why he doesn't understand why the girls get so upset when he tells them the truth. His face doesn't change because his attitude doesn't change. Kyuubey is not evil by his own standards; he believes that what he is doing is right, good for the universe and efficient to boot.

But, again, this is from someone who hasn't read the manga (YET! I plan to!) so you can choose to disregard my opinions. Very Happy
Hellfish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
That my sadistic boyfriends looks exactly like the type of manga I loathe... I will stay away from it most definitely... on the other hand while the Madoka manga looks tempting I think I won't buy it...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1