• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - A Little Soul

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
is dimensions coming out in american or japanese iOS devices?
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
The Article wrote:
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (which was basically Shin Megami Tensei III)

There's no "basically" about it. The American release dropped the "III" from the title because I and II were never released here. The full title should have been Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, like the Japanese release.

thenix wrote:
is dimensions coming out in american or japanese iOS devices?

The Article wrote:
Platform: iOS Platforms (worldwide)

I'm assuming this means both. And since there was no mention of language barrier, I'm assuming the American release is in English.
Rei_12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
So Project Diva F has just been released. Very Happy
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
I have to say that despite looking forward to SMT IV I'm still really disappointed it's not on a proper console. Last gen we had TONS of Atlus games on console with Digital Devil Saga, 2 Devil Summoners and Persona's and not to mention Nocturne.

This gen we have gotten Cathrine and Persona 4 Arena. It's sad cause the worlds Atlus builds are just so unique and interesting I think they could be so much better realized on a console. I have to wonder if we will ever see new Devil Summoner games or something like a Digital Devil Saga with the speed at which the are going. I mean the few things we are getting are great but still it's sad we don't get to see as much as we did last gen unless we look solely to the hand held market.
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
I have Aquapazza on preorder, probably wont get it till middle of next month though!
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
I have to say that despite looking forward to SMT IV I'm still really disappointed it's not on a proper console. Last gen we had TONS of Atlus games on console with Digital Devil Saga, 2 Devil Summoners and Persona's and not to mention Nocturne.

Cheaper to produce for handhelds and that's what's popular in Japan.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
The World Ends with You sure does bring back memories. It took advantage of both screens of the DS. The battle system was unlike any RPG I have ever played. The game had a steep learning curve that takes time to get used to it. Once I had, battles were one of the best parts of the game.

Oh, did I mention the amazing soundtrack? It had a underground-ish feel to it. I really enjoyed a couple of the battle and "overworld"/Shibuya exploration themes.

I am disappointed that Square-Enix decided to not make more games out of this. The "true" ending did leave it on a ambiguous note. Of course, to obtain the "true" ending, you'd have to beat the secret boss which is only available after beating the game. Following the steps of other Square-Enix RPGs, the secret boss is leagues tougher than the last boss.

Another disappointment is that it the battle system is scaled on the iPad and iPhone. In the DS version, there were a few Pins where you had to blow into the microphone to use it. How would that work on an iPad or iPhone?

If you can find a copy of this amazing game, buy it. I was not disappointed after spending a few weeks to locate a copy.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Reibooi wrote:

Fun fact: PSP sold about as much as all 3 systems combined in Japan... and DS sold more than twice what PSP did.

Its a handheld country.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
The World Ends with You sure does bring back memories. It took advantage of both screens of the DS. The battle system was unlike any RPG I have ever played. The game had a steep learning curve that takes time to get used to it. Once I had, battles were one of the best parts of the game.

Oh, did I mention the amazing soundtrack? It had a underground-ish feel to it. I really enjoyed a couple of the battle and "overworld"/Shibuya exploration themes.

I am disappointed that Square-Enix decided to not make more games out of this. The "true" ending did leave it on a ambiguous note. Of course, to obtain the "true" ending, you'd have to beat the secret boss which is only available after beating the game. Following the steps of other Square-Enix RPGs, the secret boss is leagues tougher than the last boss.

Another disappointment is that it the battle system is scaled on the iPad and iPhone. In the DS version, there were a few Pins where you had to blow into the microphone to use it. How would that work on an iPad or iPhone?

If you can find a copy of this amazing game, buy it. I was not disappointed after spending a few weeks to locate a copy.

For what it's worth, the game's director recently tweeted saying to "stay tuned for future developements" regarding TWEWY
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm really hoping Xseed does Dead Patient! It looks like a fine return to what I liked about Corpse Party. Though Book of Shadows would be a nice treat also!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
superdry wrote:
Reibooi wrote:

Fun fact: PSP sold about as much as all 3 systems combined in Japan... and DS sold more than twice what PSP did.

Its a handheld country.

I'm a handheld gamer so... I don't see problem with this >_>

On corpse party 2 since it is a PC game we don't have to worry to much about the language barrier since modding/fan translations are for more common on this platform.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
superdry wrote:
Reibooi wrote:

Its a handheld country.

I'm aware that Japan has become a largely hand held centric gaming community. However I prefer my games to not be hand held that is just my preference. I get more enjoyment out of playing games on a TV instead of looking at a tiny screen.

I'm not saying that how Atlus has shifted to hand helds is bad for them or bad for business or what not. I was just stating my preference as a gamer that I wish the games I enjoyed last gen from the company were still being made on console this gen.

A good example for me is P3P. Persona 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. However I really didn't care for the PSP version. I don't find it fun to be hunched over this tiny little screen playing a game like that the experience at least for me doesn't mesh. I like quick bursts of gaming on hand held not long sessions and so many big franchises are going to hand held that it saddens me.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Thats fine if you feel that way, but its just the gaming climate in Japan. It costs far too much for smaller companies to make HD console games, so they go to the handhelds. That coupled with the fact that the consoles are full of niche American games makes Japanese gamers themselves buy handhelds instead. Like just look at the Witcher 2s sales this week in the sales topic here... it only sold 5k, while it was a million seller over here. Western games are pretty much hated over there so there isn't much motivation to buy consoles.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
You're over-exxagerating. Western games are just really niche over there. There's more than few Japanese players on Forza Motorsport 4, as far as I know.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Other snippets of footage suggest that the game's a third-person RPG, and that the two worlds are somehow connected by the player's avatar.

Korra huh? And yet look what word you ended your sentence with. XP

Corpse Party 2: Oh joy, another fun romp with kids getting seemingly mutilated if you make the wrong decision. And a hospital? The mother of all creepy movie settings. Anime hyper

The World Ends With You: You should see the rage-storm that's going on over at GameFAQs over this port. Though I can sort of understand their ire, I think they're blowing it out of proportion (like fans usually do).

Soul Hackers: I'll say it again, the more Shin Megami games we get, the better. I'm sure there will be those foolish graphics freaks who won't play it because of the way it looks, but they're not really the audience for the game in the first place.

Final Fantasy Dimensions: Rotating allies? So we're going back to FFII and IV's formula again? Ah well, that's no problem. It still sounds like an interesting story than most of the recent stuff we've been getting that bears the FF name.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2