Forum - View topic
Youtube/Copyright unfair


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sommer89



Joined: 02 Dec 2010
Posts: 84

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't post vids on youtube but of late several of my faves are gone now and its begining to get on my nerves. Its always copytight by tv tokyo,sony,or bandai. Why are they being such jerks with copyright their stamping out creativity when they do this crap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
zrdb



Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 525
Location: Who-me? Am I supposed to be somewhere?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Because they need to protect their precious copyrights.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Veloro



Joined: 01 May 2011
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
yeah Youtube has been cracking down alot threw the year with copyrights and such
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eri94



Joined: 14 Feb 2011
Posts: 186

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
No shit. I posted a like 30 second clip from K-On and it got yanked before I could've finished typing up this post. Shit is ridiculous.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Muggie



Joined: 12 May 2011
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I've seen this a lot with K-ON! especially. Its annoying when you want to see a clip of something real quick and its copyright blocked.
But hey, what are you gonna do?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Lizzie_B



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 153

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Check out this vid on YT Copywright BS
http://www.youtube.com/​watch?​v=​InzDjH1-​9Ns
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paploo



Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 1875

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
As part of Google, YouTube seems to be shifting some of their copyright policies.... http://www.politico.com/​news/​stories/​0211/​49673.​html having skipped out of testifying to congress about copyright, Google's now in an awkward situation. Hope they clean up their act, as with stuff like the Google Books situation, they're kind of notorious in regards to creator's right/copyright situations nowadays.

sommer89 wrote:
I don't post vids on youtube but of late several of my faves are gone now and its begining to get on my nerves. Its always copytight by tv tokyo,sony,or bandai. Why are they being such jerks with copyright their stamping out creativity when they do this crap.


Is it your property? Did you make it? Do you have any right to it? Nope. So it means you can only use it if you have their permission. They're not being jerks, they're just protecting their property, in this case a very popular ongoing franchise.

Given the title's coming out here right now, they probably also want to ensure any youtube searches go to their product so it can be properly promoted http://www.youtube.com/​watch?​v=​j2a_HkdowaY&​feature=​player_embedded#​at=​18 and let people know that hey, K-On's being dubbed and released on bilingual dvd that you can preorder! I'm assuming you want K-ON to be successful so they can keep making more, right?

http://www.youtube.com/​user/​BandaiEntertainment

Anyhoo, there's still lots of other ways to enjoy anime fandom, check some of em out- cosplay, fanfic/fanart (companies don't have an issue with these the majority of the time), original webcomics/art galleries, forum discussions, reviews, articles, conventions, tons of ways to enjoy fandom.

I think Yen Press also has digital rights ot K-ON given they've included it in their Yen Plus online magazine. You can get the manga in stores right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notrogersmith



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 113

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Is it your property? Did you make it? Do you have any right to it? Nope. So it means you can only use it if you have their permission.


That's actually not completely true. There are legal uses of copyrighted material that do not require permission from the copyright owner. That's called fair use, and it's essential for keeping copyright law from infringing on rights of free expression. Now putting a whole song on YouTube is highly unlikely to be fair use, which means that most audio tracks of AMVs probably infringe on copyright. Posting whole episodes of copyrighted material is generally infringement as well. But a 30-second clip from a 30-minute anime episode? That should be no more illegal than quoting from an article without the author's permission.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Paploo



Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 1875

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
Paploo wrote:
Is it your property? Did you make it? Do you have any right to it? Nope. So it means you can only use it if you have their permission.


That's actually not completely true. There are legal uses of copyrighted material that do not require permission from the copyright owner. That's called fair use, and it's essential for keeping copyright law from infringing on rights of free expression. Now putting a whole song on YouTube is highly unlikely to be fair use, which means that most audio tracks of AMVs probably infringe on copyright. Posting whole episodes of copyrighted material is generally infringement as well. But a 30-second clip from a 30-minute anime episode? That should be no more illegal than quoting from an article without the author's permission.


I'm well aware of fair use- though if the videos were taken down they may not of fallen under that. Only YouTube and the parties involved know for certain- if they were taken down, they must of violated YouTube's rules. As such, I assume they's the case.

I don't doubt that most of the AMV's removed from YT are due to music issues, given Funimation stated that they don't mind fair use usages like that that use shorter clips/segments.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yuna49



Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 1405

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I'm well aware of fair use- though if the videos were taken down they may not of fallen under that. Only YouTube and the parties involved know for certain- if they were taken down, they must of violated YouTube's rules. As such, I assume they's the case.


That's not how this process works. The copyright holder files a "take-down" request under the terms of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. The ISP, YouTube in this case, removes the content but is supposed to notify the person who posted the material and give her a chance to make a case for why the material is not infringing. I'd guess that when a fifteen-year-old makes an AMV and posts it on YouTube, then receives an email from them saying Sony has requested the item be removed, the kid is unlikely to contest the matter even if a valid fair-use defense might be mounted.

YouTube is not permitted to make these decisions itself, nor would it want to. Once the provider engages in editorial decisions, the "safe-harbor" provisions of the DMCA may no longer apply to that ISP.

For more details, read:
http://chillingeffects.org/​dmca512/​faq.​cgi#​QID130
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wuxiaspear



Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 2
Location: Magnolia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:41 am Reply with quote
do you know how i can download youtube videos? Question
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
yuna49



Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 1405

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You agree not to access Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Service itself, the Embeddable Player, or other explicitly authorized means YouTube may designate.

YouTube Terms of Service
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
germx



Joined: 04 Jul 2011
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Because people need to make money off of the content they make.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wintermoot



Joined: 29 Aug 2012
Posts: 16
Location: Zutphen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:04 am Reply with quote
ever since Google bought them out YT has turned into a bunch of copyright nazi's. None of the removed vids are against the rules since none of the uploaders made money of it or claimed it as their own.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Gilded.Ace



Joined: 25 Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
Gah, I hate that so much x[
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group