• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bandai Entertainment discontinued anime releases update

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Actually, RACS no longer list the Bluray. Apparently it is sold out.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Actually, RACS no longer list the Bluray. Apparently it is sold out.

Probably removed from site inventory so it can be sold higher on Amazon Razz
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
I can understand where there would be concern with prices for Scryed and Clamp School Detectives. But Girl Who Leapt Through Time is still available on DVD at a reasonable price. So why raise a fuss?
Trying my best not to be snarky, but it's the same reason for always choosing a blu-ray over a DVD...because it's better.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Trying my best not to be snarky, but it's the same reason for always choosing a blu-ray over a DVD...because it's better.

Could care less about bigger picture resolution. If it's available on a media format, I'll take what I can get.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
varmintx wrote:
Could care less about bigger picture resolution. If it's available on a media format, I'll take what I can get.
Don't forget the lossless audio. Smile
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
via RACS
Quote:
Bandai Will Stop Shipping Anime to Retailers In November

Ken Iyodomi, who is the president of Bandai Entertainment, sent us over a letter this morning to give us a heads up on what we've known has been coming and just never had a date for.

He writes:
Quote:
"I am writing to inform you that Bandai Entertainment Inc in discontinuing its home video publishing and distribution business effective March 1, 2013.

As we methodically wind down the business, the last day that Bandai will be accepting any purchase orders is November 15, 2012, with our last shipments occurring on November 30th, 2012.

On Behalf of Bandai Entertainment Inc, I want to express our gratitude for the opportunity we've had to do business with your company, and I think you in advance for your understanding and assistance during this period."

Well, we all knew this was coming up. While Bandai's remaining catalog of Anime release will 'officially' go out of print in November, I just want to remind everyone that quite a few of their SKU's have already stocked out and others will probably sell out prior to the Nov cutoff, so if you need to pull the trigger on any of their stuff, don't wait too much longer.

This also means that current backorders for existing products are less likely to be filled, but we will do whatever we can to bring in as much Bandai stock as we can afford to between now and November.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
I now have an end date! BUY ALL THE ANIME!

Luckily, I don't have too many other series to purchase from them. But I had better go through their catalogue again just to check.

Weekend purchases coming up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
Well goddamn! I hadn't realized how screwed Bandai's catalog was. I get the feeling that I'll need to hope for some license rescues.

willag wrote:
I now have an end date! BUY ALL THE ANIME!

Weekend purchases coming up.

*Looks at the two dozen Bandai Titles on his list*

Care to make that a double order?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Guess this officially kills off another major anime distributor in the American market. Crying or Very sad
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

I guess this automatically forces you to bump up priority for those titles, yes?

I sometimes dislike it when I'm right.

Also, you recommended that I buy Figure 17. Clearly, you haven't been looking at my lists close enough, else you would have realized that I already own it. Wink

Linking to posts is too effing troublesome on ANN. I don't know how to do it easily unlike on other forums where I just need to click on the post number and then copy what's in the address bar.

---

I have time so I'm going to watch all of Birdy this weekend (hopefully, most likely). If so, I'll share my thoughts.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Damn. Guess that that means that I should try to complete my Gundam collection.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping TRSI would bundle the K-ON BDs for Black Friday or Christmas, but I guess it'd be better to play it safe and get them sooner. Oi.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
In a way, I think that I got complacent because Bandai was my number one company in the way back when; I guess that I got used to the idea that they would always be there.

willag wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

I guess this automatically forces you to bump up priority for those titles, yes?

I sometimes dislike it when I'm right.

You and me both, sister. You and me both.

I had already put them all on 'endangered' status when The Girl Who Leapt Through Time's Blu-ray vanished. I can't do anything more other than invent some kind of 'OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT!' modifier or something.

Suffice it to say, there's some heat on those items. I'm going to have to rearrange some plans.

willag wrote:
Also, you recommended that I buy Figure 17. Clearly, you haven't been looking at my lists close enough, else you would have realized that I already own it. Wink

Really? I read your lists out loud while facing toward Tōkyō five times daily and I don't remember it there. Oh forgive me, for I have committed heresy! [(Well, actually, I just neglected to double-check your Purchase lists... minorly ironic)

Whatever that case, that's excellent. I think that's a good chance that you'll like it. (I'd excised my recommendation in some edit or another, but mostly because I got cold feet for reasons known only to Vazerathizol, who sleeps in the bar of soap in my shower, rising only when I'm conditioning my hair to plant seeds of malign doubt in my very soul)

willag wrote:
Linking to posts is too effing troublesome on ANN. I don't know how to do it easily unlike on other forums where I just need to click on the post number and then copy what's in the address bar.

It's actually just as easy as that here, but the format doesn't make it very obvious. on the left end of the top line of the body of every post, like, say, my first ever on this account, there is a small white box that resembled a dog-eared piece of paper, it's appears just before, "Posted:." If you click on that, it will take you to the specific address for the post, just as the numbers would on other fora.

willag wrote:
I have time so I'm going to watch all of Birdy this weekend (hopefully, most likely). If so, I'll share my thoughts.

Badass. I'd like to have a chance to hear them. Some small advice: Watch the final episode on the second season collection before the rest of the season; it's actually a one-episode OVA, The Cipher, that links the two seasons. It's a touch anticlimactic and disorderly if you watch it all in the order on the discs.

Be warned, if you don't like it, I might have to treat you like I'm a Scientologist and your a very dear, close, intimate relative who once implied that Scientology might maybe be a little weird.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, looks like I'm gonna have to make a Bandai order real soon. My most wanted are:
Escaflowne The Movie Bluray
Haruhi movie BD/DVD
Star Driver BD Part 2
K-On! Bd's
Unfortunately due to financial reasons I'm probably going to miss out on all the old Gundam stuff I wanted to buy. License rescues plzkthnx?
Zeguna

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
I only need boxsets of Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, GITS 2nd GIG and Gurren Lagann to finish off what I deem important from Bandai. I missed out on the Gunbuster oavs already, but thankfully I grabbed the Girl Who Leapt Through Time on blu-ray a while ago. I might pick up 08th MS Team and 0083 as well...

Don't forget about Sword of the Stranger you guys! I always forget that's a Bandai title, but I can see it getting rare really fast on Blu-ray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 15