• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Canada Post increases handling charges, now $9.95)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlaking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Bad news for anyone having shipment clearing customs with taxes, the Canada Post handling fee will now be $9.95 (slightly over a year since the fee was increased to $8.50 from $5.00).

Link

Quote:
Canada Post has been collecting duties and taxes on behalf of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) for many years, and is compensated for this service through a handling fee charged to customers. As of August 18, 2012, this handling fee will rise from $8.50 to $9.95 for all mail that has been assessed with import duties and/or taxes by CBSA.

Canada Post is mandated to be financially self-sufficient and therefore must ensure that we reflect the true costs in providing products and services. Despite this change, Canada Post still offers the most competitive all-in price for international parcel shipments.

Items that clear Customs before August 18 will be subject to the current rate; items clearing Customs as of August 18 will be subject to the $9.95 handling fee.

Thanks to Dennis_Mullin on Fandom Post for the info.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
A-holes. Nearly doubling the fee in a single year is pretty friggin' outrageous.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
This is the way the state works. By all means give them more services and they'll continue making it worse, then there is a breaking point and cuts are made (or taxes raised) and everyone complains. It's a nice cycle Canada actually follows reasonably well (although this cycle still drains the productive sector and causes economic stagnation and capital depletion).

This is unlike the US which is too big and disconnected to take that route, so it can't increase prices like this and will likely bankrupt itself in one form or another.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
honestly, 5$ seems way under priced in the current 'US' economy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
honestly, 5$ seems way under priced in the current 'US' economy

First, this is something that affects Canadians, so I'm not sure why you are even citing the US economy. Second, it strikes me as a ridiculous cash grab. Sure, the fact that Canada Post is collecting sales tax for the CBSA means more work for their employees, but charging almost $10 for each transaction? I call bullshit. I think Canada Post is wildly over-valuing this "service" to offset their other, money-losing operations. People importing packages are a hostage market ... it's not like we have any other options.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
You mean Canada isn't part of the US? Huh, the more you know I guess. I thought we annexed you fellows some years back.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
You mean Canada isn't part of the US? Huh, the more you know I guess. I thought we annexed you fellows some years back.

Yeah, you tried that back in 1812 but we kicked your asses; including burning down the White House. Good times!
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:20 am Reply with quote
We needed to renovate the White House so we allowed a bunch of Canadians to come in and tear down the old one. History got a bit muddled in the time since and suddenly people think it was done during some war. You can't trust history books! Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Totes. It's like when the Germans invaded Pearl Harbor in 1929 - you wouldn't believe how often that gets screwed up.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

you can cry all you like, but where do you order your anime from? Iowa? ebay also happens to be in america. you think the corn you eat was grown in quebec? your shipping economy is completely dependent on us, you should support NAFTA.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Why are you quoting me, you idiot? I was speaking to Blood- light heartedly, and further I'm an American as well. Stop acting like a fool and quit trying to pick a fight for no reason.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Laughing

Yay, NAFTA!!!

Laughing Laughing
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
This is why I've stopped sending stuff across the border. I just send everything to a place across the line and then go pick it up.

Sailor S wrote:

You're thinking of Iraq. Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Ah, to live close to a border crossing...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
Doesn't something like 90% of Canadian population live an hour away from the border or something like that?

Anyway, what is the reasoning behind this raise? Is it trying to deter Canadians from using US-based internet shopping sites in favor of Canadian ones?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4