• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Future Publishing Retires Nintendo Gamer Magazine

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
I stopped reading back in NGamer after pretty much everyone left. But still, this makes me sad since there was a point where it was my favourite magazine and an important part of my life. I might buy the final issue as a tribute to the memories...
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Nintendo of America confirmed on August 22 that the Nintendo Power magazine will cease publication with the upcoming December issue, ending its 24-year run as Nintendo's official periodical.

God no.

It always warmed my heart walking past a new stand and seeing Nintendo Power, and thinking, "still going strong after 20 years". Dear god, this magazine was out when I was a four year old playing the new "Super Mario Bros. 3" when it came out on NES.

I just don't want it to go.

Ave atque vale, Nintendo Power.
Yugi12

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Who cares about gaming magazines anymore when you can get gaming information online that's more up to date for free?
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Yugi12 wrote:
Who cares about gaming magazines anymore when you can get gaming information online that's more up to date for free?

Nobody ever read this magazine for the information. They read it for the the fantastic writing and the way that the staff were almost like the cast of an ensemble piece.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
uhhh
people read magazines for the pictures
we all know what everyone else is thinking when someone says they read an adult magazine for the 'articles'
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
And thus another part of my childhood is put out to sea on a viking funeral boat.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
uhhh
people read magazines for the pictures
we all know what everyone else is thinking when someone says they read an adult magazine for the 'articles'

Heh, I would be reading for the articles then, and be so out-of-the-loop with the general thinking (and this comes from better upbringing).

Conan-san wrote:
And thus another part of my childhood is put out to sea on a viking funeral boat.

Nobody weeps for the childhood products of my youth I want back anyway.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Bob from Accounting wrote:
Yugi12 wrote:

Nobody ever read this magazine for the information. They read it for the the fantastic writing and the way that the staff were almost like the cast of an ensemble piece.

Couldn't agree more. For some reason, online and print journalism are written completely differently. There's nothing stopping websites from having articles just as good as magazines do, but I feel like online articles rarely achieve the same level of writing as print does.

Also, there's just something special about finding that magazine in your mailbox and actually holding the physical book in your hands. I just don't get that same level of excitement from reading a website.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1