• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spotting Bootlegs

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
A bootleg never looks exactly like the official release plus the distributor is credited on the case in the picture (which bootlegs fail to include on their sets).
Not true, actually.
I had an astounding experience with a DVD set that was a very careful replica of the newer (blue and gold) Disney release for Totoro. (I described it earlier in this thread, I think.) It was very hard to spot, even when compared side by side with the genuine article.

That could have been made by someone not from China/Malaysia. But if you look at any bootlegged DVD the distributor who licensed the title will never ever put the company's logo on the set or on the DVD when you watch it. The company will still be listed in the ending credits, but not listed on the physical product. Usually the bootleg company is credited instead. I wonderful example can be found here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I've figured out that my copy of Professor Pain is indeed a bootleg because it lacks a SID code. Now comes the hard part of trying to convince the ebay seller that the new copy of Professor Pain they sold me is not an official copy and get my money back.

For those of you who want to know what a SID code is.

The SID (Source Identification) Code is imprinted in the inner area of CD and High Density formats of Optical Discs. The SID Code consists of the letters “IFPI”, followed by either four or five additional characters, which may be alphabetical or numerical.
TI99Kitty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I found this forum while trying to research the "Animage" Sailor Moon DVD's, and thought I'd share a couple of things (after reading the entire thread, natch).

Several years ago, when I first started buying anime online, I purchased a 3-disc InuYasha collection on Amazon (probably from the Marketplace), which was labelled as an import. Imagine my surprise when, despite having a different logo and different artwork than the Viz single releases, I realized that the three discs were discs 19-21 of the official Viz release -- with new labels! Although the case artwork was obviously a repro, the whole thing looked very professional, right down to the disc labels being screen print (rather than stick-on labels).

The giveaway, however, was that the discs were obviously copies of the official releases, right down to the menus and extras. The company that released the set was fX, which (thanks to my trying to find out about the Sailor Moon set) I now know is a well-known bootlegger. Needless to say, I'm now a LOT more careful when buying anime DVD's online.

Something else I turned up today was a DVD of the live-action Sailor Moon series. Although the product description says it's a Region 1 release, the seller's description says: "brand new and sealed. Region 0 import, all episodes have Japanese audio with English subs, there is a timer in the upper corner of all videos. Excellent hard to find series not licensed in the US. Cover art is different then that of the Amazon picture provided. Does not include act zero or Special act only episodes 1-49" (emphasis mine)

Sounds like someone simply burned the fansubs to DVD and is selling them on Amazon. This is exactly the reason I don't buy from the Marketplace, unless the seller posts an actual description (rather than the usual propaganda about themselves) -- and why I don't buy from eBay sellers who use stock photos, or who don't provide any useful information in the product description. I got burned once, and that was enough for me.

I'm glad I found this forum; there are some really good tips here about things to watch for, to avoid wasting money on bootlegs. Another good resource is this Bootleg Guide on Facebook.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
Basically, anytime you see Region 0, it's a bootleg. There is exactly one exception to that, and I don't know what it is, but I'm sure someone else will know. Either way, just assume if it says Region 0, it's a bootleg.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Basically, anytime you see Region 0, it's a bootleg. There is exactly one exception to that, and I don't know what it is, but I'm sure someone else will know. Either way, just assume if it says Region 0, it's a bootleg.

You've never bought a legit release from Central Park Media, have you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Okay, a simple "wrong" would've done just fine...

Anyways, learn something new every day. Never noticed that they're all region before.
ssj_Jessy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
Anime cry My friend and I acciently bought a bootleg of the whoooole Sailor Moon series and ovas. The DVDs came and we noticed that the backs of them were purple and that on the boxes the titles read "Sail Or Moon". So just because a website doesn't sell cheap box sets it doesn't mean that they aren't bootleggers. (I will try to find the URL)
moonie92

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
How do you spot a figure bootleg? I've wanted to get into collecting figures for a while but the whole process has seemed rather daunting. I've seen some cool Madoka ones, but how do I tell they aren't bootlegs?

Thanks for any advice you may have to offer. Smile
poonk

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
moonie92 wrote:
How do you spot a figure bootleg?
We just had a mini-discussion about this in the "What did you just buy?" thread conveniently enough, so I will refer you there. It also may be worth your while to check out the "Official Anime-Related Figures" thread under the Anime heading.

Otherwise, the easiest & surest way to avoid bootlegs is to only buy from legitimate sellers: RightStuf, RACS (just some examples of US-based sellers; I'm sure there are others but I always import mine so I don't know very many) and Japanese sites like AmiAmi, Hobby Link Japan, Hobby Search, Big in Japan (a proxy service), OtaCute, Aikoudo, Anime Export (all are in English language).

If you have any other questions about figures, feel free to pop into the Figures thread I linked above and the small group of regulars will be more than happy to answer you to the best of their knowledge.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
manicli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Hey I think my copy of darker than black season 1 (anime classics) might be a boot but I'm not quite sure.

It didn't come in the funimation standard 4 disc case with the 2 racks inside holding the discs. Inside it has 2 discs overlapping each other on the front and back.

The funimation logo is on the discs but it isn't colored which I find unusual. Also the SID code on the DVDs read Darker than Black instead of the usual funimation FN-XXXXXXX.

Oh and it didn't come with a funimation postcard.

Can anyone tell me if this is a bootleg copy?
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
manicli wrote:
Hey I think my copy of darker than black season 1 (anime classics) might be a boot but I'm not quite sure.

It didn't come in the funimation standard 4 disc case with the 2 racks inside holding the discs. Inside it has 2 discs overlapping each other on the front and back.

The funimation logo is on the discs but it isn't colored which I find unusual. Also the SID code on the DVDs read Darker than Black instead of the usual funimation FN-XXXXXXX.

Oh and it didn't come with a funimation postcard.

Can anyone tell me if this is a bootleg copy?

Where did you buy the collection from?
What is the upc code?
Can you post pictures?
Regannator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
I have a question for all you bootleg shoppers (intentional and/or unintentional!) - where do you get your bootlegs? Online, or in actual physical stores, like a used DVD shop or something?
Regannator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Man, thank you. Thank you all for answering my question. Ya'll are just super. Really opened up my mind and s**t.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
@Regannator
I do not personally buy bootleg items. As least not as far as I know. Most of the people who posted here bought bootlegs by accident. If you read the thread, most have said where they got them.

I suspect that most of the forum participants also do not buy bootlegs on purpose. As a consequense they don't have the information to reply either. A dozen responses of "no idea" whould not have answered your question. Your tone is not helpful.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
@Regannator
Don't be a pain in the neck. This thread moves slowly and is stickied up the top of the page away from the action. I know I often forget to check it.
I have bought a number of bootlegs unintentionally on Amazon marketplace, and spotted them in time to return them or get a refund. There are some real villains there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 33