• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now HERE'S a poll that might interest tempest & Dan42!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How often do you click on ads on ANN?
Once every session! (multiple sessions throughout day)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Once Every Day
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
3-4 Times Per Week
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Once Every Week
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Once or Twice a Month
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Maybe Half a Dozen Times Per Year (if that)
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
I don't. I mean it; I really don't.
53%
 53%  [ 23 ]
I don't keep track.
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 43

nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
Then again, maybe they already have this metric..... Rolling Eyes Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

This poll will run for seven days.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
There are ads on ANN?? I hadn't noticed. Laughing
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
Some ads are only accessible from certain IP addresses, however.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I've never clicked on a single ad here at ANN. Never have, never will.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Ok, serious answer.

Where ever you go on the internet, ads are everwhere. Except for the really obnoxious ones, I simply don't see them. The obnoxious ads I avoid because of what they are, the others might as well not be there. The same thing happens with print ads and TV ads. Unless they are awful or really funny they just don't register. I don't think I have ever clicked on an internet ad of any kind except by accident.

With regard to this site, as a subscriber, I'm able to shut off the ads. I've kept the "skin" ads, currently Funimations classic line as they give some information on what is available. It has never occured to me to click them and, in fact, until I tried just now it did not occur to me that they had links. Who knew?? I have a bookmark for the Funimation site. If I wanted to go there that is what I would use simply by habit. Actually, if I wanted information on one of the advertised programs I would most likely go to the encyclopedia here and not to the Funimation site. If I wanted to know price or availability I would go to RACS or TRSI both of which are bookmarked.

Ads are simply a non issue.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I've clicked a banner ad or two just to see what the hell they were selling since they sometimes show up sliced off above the first quarter or so.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
If I'm going to buy something at TRSI or another retailer that supports ANN with advertising, I usually try to find a link I can click through from here to go that site, either an ad or a link from the encyclopedia. I don't know how much that helps (if at all) but if I can do a little bit to support ANN with very little extra effort, I'll do it.

Besides that, I'll click on an ad if it's for something that interests me. Otherwise, I more or less ignore them.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
The add-ons I have on my browser have the pleasant side effect of blocking almost all adds, so I don't see any except for the background adds (like the SAVE one right now) which I occasionally accidentally click on.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I consider any link on the site that will bring you to a site other than ANN an ad (except for links that are a part of an encyclopedia entry). I'll tend to click on something if it's new, looks interesting and even though I'm a subscriber I still see ads when I open the site because I don't like automatic logins (think I purposely have browser set to prevent them). So I answered "once or twice a month" could be more often than that.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Inb4 the mod complaints about ad blockers...
kaydub

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of ads on any site, and generally either don't click them or just block them altogether.

However, I'm also paying for a subscription... so I don't really feel so guilty for not clicking them Smile
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I chose the option, "Once or Twice a Month," which is technically true, but perhaps contrary to the spirit of the question. If I click on an advertisement, it's usually because my spastic sausage fingers on flapjack hands have misfired or erred, leading me to mistakenly click somewhere I hadn't meant to. This doesn't happen very often and I can't recall the last time, ever there ever was one, that I purposefully clicked on an advertisement. There have been a few times when one has helped to draw my attention to something, like Books of Bantorra, for example, but I usually have no need for or interest in them.

And I too being a subscriber, I feel pretty comfortable disregarding the site's most overt revenue mechanism.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
I will occasionally follow an ad link for anything that sounds interesting. I don't keep track of how often.

And this isn't relative to this poll but...

SA: I have to say that ever since you've changed your avatar I've been mentally reading your posts in the voice of Orson Welles. Or, failing that, in the voice of Maurice LaMarche voicing The Brain of "Pinky and The Brain" fame. And I have to admit, it sounds freaking awesome.

Is that supposed to be a cartoon rendering of Orson Welles, by the way? It obviously makes me think of him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
And this isn't relative to this poll but...

SA: I have to say that ever since you've changed your avatar I've been mentally reading your posts in the voice of Orson Welles. Or, failing that, in the voice of Maurice LaMarche voicing The Brain of "Pinky and The Brain" fame. And I have to admit, it sounds freaking awesome.

This is exactly the effect that I intended. Very excellent.

It seems to be having more effect than when my avatar actually was Orson Welles from F for Fake.

larinon wrote:
Is that supposed to be a cartoon rendering of Orson Welles, by the way? It obviously makes me think of him.

Indeed, it is. It's from an episode of The Critic, "Frankie and Ellie Get Lost". The Critic is where I first learned of Orson Welles. I've been known to spontaneously quote the parodies of him from the series. (Bonus: The recording of Orson Welles giving a recording crew a hard time that inspired Maurice LaMarche's impression and here's a near verbatim reenactment of that from a Pinkie and the Brain short)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
I chose "never" because "once in a blue moon" wasn't available.

Seriously, I think I have clicked on an ad here maybe once or twice in the 3+ years I've been looking at the site regularly. I look at them sometimes but have no need to click on them.

Also, for security reasons I am in the habit of always going directly to any web site I wish to use. Not that this is a concern at ANN, it's just a habit I stick to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2