• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hasbro Has No Release Plans for Duel Masters Manga, Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:51 am Reply with quote
Trying to piece together this story.

1. Hasbro relaunched the card game Duel Masters.

2. The relaunch of Duel Masters has the same name and therefore still shares a name with the anime the original card game was based off of.

3. There is going to be a new Duel Masters show called Kaijudo which is connected to the relaunched card game.

4. Hasbro is not licensing more of the Japanese duel masters because Kaijudo represents the new card game.

I think where I am getting confused is the name of the card game. Is the relaunched card game officially called "Kaijudo" or "Duel Masters"? If the relaunched card game is called Kaijudo then there seems to be little to assume it was going to be connected to the original anime. Changing the main name to Kaijudo and the subtitle to RIse of the Duel Masters kinda hints at that. Sort of keeping a brand name but launching a new one. Hasbro probably wants nothing to do with the anime.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:56 am Reply with quote
It sounds to me like they threw a bunch of money at their own Flash show and don't want anything decently animated to compete with it. Throw in the likelihood of anything looking like that being any good and they're almost certainly just protecting an investment.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:43 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

2. The relaunch of Duel Masters has the same name and therefore still shares a name with the anime the original card game was based off of.

3. There is going to be a new Duel Masters show called Kaijudo which is connected to the relaunched card game.

4. Hasbro is not licensing more of the Japanese duel masters because Kaijudo represents the new card game.

I think where I am getting confused is the name of the card game. Is the relaunched card game officially called "Kaijudo" or "Duel Masters"? If the relaunched card game is called Kaijudo then there seems to be little to assume it was going to be connected to the original anime. Changing the main name to Kaijudo and the subtitle to RIse of the Duel Masters kinda hints at that. Sort of keeping a brand name but launching a new one. Hasbro probably wants nothing to do with the anime.

The show came out like 3 months ago, and both it and card game is called Kaijudo. The show has nothing to do with the original anime and it doesn't even feature cards in it at all actually (which is.. kind of odd). The card game, however, basically recycles artwork from old Duel Masters cards, pastes it onto a new card format, they give it new names/abilities/whatever, and release it. It's kind of like bootlegging in a way, only these are official.

As for why go this route? Who knows. Some people claim it's because Mimi has large boobs and they didn't want to edit them in every episode. The last time it aired on TV, you had the dubbers complaining about it on forums all the time on how much they had to edit her chest. I don't really buy that, though. If they really wanted to, they'd do it. Just look at how much editing 4Kids does with Yu-Gi-Oh, it was even more.

Others say it's because there was like 9 series worth of episodes to dub and release to catch up with in Japan, so they wanted to just start with a clean slate. Seems reasonable, but the main problem I see with this (aside from Duel Masters fans getting screwed over) is that since this is an American-only version, there's no way at all they can do world tournaments/championships, since the American version isn't compatible with the international version, and I highly doubt Japan is going to care about this version of the game considering Duel Masters is the #2 TCG out there, especially in Japan.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
It sounds to me like they threw a bunch of money at their own Flash show and don't want anything decently animated to compete with it. Throw in the likelihood of anything looking like that being any good and they're almost certainly just protecting an investment.

Ahh Kaijudo isn't flash, it and its actually a decent series overall, nothing special mind you, but then neither are the Japanese anime for set franchise, really Duel Masters is kind of lower level stuff anyway, the fact Hasbro went out of their way to make a show for it is actually kind of a compliment.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:34 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

The current Japanese Duel Masters anime is hideous in comparison to Kaijudo, which isn't animated in Flash.

I'm fine with Hasbro's decision since their show is better.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
The Kaijudo TCG is NOT the Duel Masters TCG. The monsters in Kaijudo are almost entirely new, and TCG plays radically different to DM.

I don't give two s*its about the show (it's just a 30 minute commercial for the TCG, after all), I just wanted them to bring the DM TCG back here. It's a really good game that I honestly believe would sell gangbusters here if WOTC weren't pants-on-head retarded with their marketing strategies.... Confused

One would wonder if they went to all this trouble to give the franchise a faceleft to the point where it's nearly unrecognizable, why didn't they just make an entirely different IP instead of getting fanboys hopes up over nothing?

EDIT: Take that back, I wrong, the TCG DOES play a little like the DM TCG. Only difference is the monsters are new Embarassed

Last edited by rockman nes on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
*Watches trailers* So you mean those hideous designs pictured in the article aren't from some crappy anime-esque American production? ...

Anyway, seeing them in motion makes it clear there's just some odd cell-shading going on(though it's good they're experimenting with the style) while Kaijudo looks much better.
TitanXL wrote:
The show has nothing to do with the original anime and it doesn't even feature cards in it at all actually (which is.. kind of odd).
Unusual, but not unprecedented. Chaotic basically did the same thing(though cards were technically still involved).
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and while I don't believe any of the actual manga was released in North America, TokyoPop released ani-manga books of it. Rolling Eyes
Sorrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Gasero wrote:

The show came out like 3 months ago, and both it and card game is called Kaijudo. The show has nothing to do with the original anime and it doesn't even feature cards in it at all actually (which is.. kind of odd). The card game, however, basically recycles artwork from old Duel Masters cards, pastes it onto a new card format, they give it new names/abilities/whatever, and release it. It's kind of like bootlegging in a way, only these are official.

As for why go this route? Who knows. Some people claim it's because Mimi has large boobs and they didn't want to edit them in every episode. The last time it aired on TV, you had the dubbers complaining about it on forums all the time on how much they had to edit her chest. I don't really buy that, though. If they really wanted to, they'd do it. Just look at how much editing 4Kids does with Yu-Gi-Oh, it was even more.

Others say it's because there was like 9 series worth of episodes to dub and release to catch up with in Japan, so they wanted to just start with a clean slate. Seems reasonable, but the main problem I see with this (aside from Duel Masters fans getting screwed over) is that since this is an American-only version, there's no way at all they can do world tournaments/championships, since the American version isn't compatible with the international version, and I highly doubt Japan is going to care about this version of the game considering Duel Masters is the #2 TCG out there, especially in Japan.

It is ironically both things like this article AND this sort of censoring that makes fansubs still useful for some things. I mean TBH i still want to see the unedited shows for yu gi oh, Blue Dragon AND Duel Masters. But odds of that are super low sadly.

Also before anyone tells me to buy anime I DO i own over 45K worth of anime so i do spend money and i would gladly spend it on uncensored versions of even these shows.

Also Kaijudo isn't that bad honestly. I gave it a shot and i actually am enjoying it. American kids shows have actually come a long way. So far in some ways in fact that it makes all this 4kids censoring even more pointless.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
EDIT: Take that back, I wrong, the TCG DOES play a little like the DM TCG. Only difference is the monsters are new Embarassed

Yeah, it has the same mechanics as Duel Masters (well, the basic ones, they obviously don't have God Link, Evolution, 3-Way Civilizations or any of the mechanics that were introduced later in Duel Masters) just entirely new cards all around. Not sure if it'll last long enough to get to these mechanics, since the last time a company tried to make their own TCG-For-Kids it blew up in their face after a year (Chaotic).

Edit: Take that back, apparently they dumbed down the mana requirement rule of needing specific colors. Odd.
ZeroFlame16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I still dont even know how the show even promotes the TCG. I see nothing about the card game in the show.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Sorrior wrote:

It is ironically both things like this article AND this sort of censoring that makes fansubs still useful for some things. I mean TBH i still want to see the unedited shows for yu gi oh, Blue Dragon AND Duel Masters. But odds of that are super low sadly.

When Duel Masters was airing in America, there were no fansubs of it. Heck, nobody heard about the show, where it was airing in Japan, even knew it existed before it just showed up on CN. (Yeah, hyperbole to emphasize.)
lostrune

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
The real reason Laughing

Sorrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sorrior wrote:

When Duel Masters was airing in America, there were no fansubs of it. Heck, nobody heard about the show, where it was airing in Japan, even knew it existed before it just showed up on CN. (Yeah, hyperbole to emphasize.)

I know i've looked. My point was that cutting shows out of legitamite methods as well as modifying content for even DVD/VHS/Blu Ray release just won't fly. That's what i meant and TBH it bugs me to no end.
YamiMichael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
You've been laughed at enough for the "Flash" comment, so moving on...

...that mimi picture is fake. There's no episode where anything like that happens, nor would that be the reason for a different series.

Hasbro owning Wizards are just running 2 different sets of shows, both based on Duel Masters, but now called Kaijudo.

Hasbro has always ran Wizards. Wizards have always ran both the English and Japanese cardgame. The japanese game/show is distributed by Takaratomy too.

Releasing the same game would be terrible gameplay-wise, screwing over new players.

---

Oh, and there is actually Japanese players interested in Kaijudo, mainly because after so long at a game, a fresh slate on a similar game is always interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2