• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Voice actors that suffer from type-casting?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Are there any voice actors you believe get pigeon-holed way too much?

Stephanie Sheh- She's one of my favorite VAs, but it pains me that she keeps getting type-casted as the quiet moe girl. Before Hinata, she was known for Mamimi from FLCL, who was far from what she's usually known for.

Aya Hirano- In the past, I've criticized her. But upon hindsight, maybe it's just the characters she plays. Haruhi, Lucy, Konata, and Misa are loud and annoying, but on the other hand, she was Lumiere from Kiddy Grade and Dende from Dragon Ball Kai. Sure, the latter was pretty much casted simply to obtain an audience, kinda like casting Justin Bieber as Naruto, but at the same time, it's still a step up.

Vic Mignogna- Ever since Ed Elric, 90% of his characters were basically hot-blooded blond teenagers with the Ed Elric voice. He was Brolly and Ikaku, which were a change in pace, but people accuse this guy of lacking range because of this type casting.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
For type casting, the one I think straight away is Rie Kugimiya, we know her as the tsundere queen, with young/small girls being her specialty. But is quite surprising where you can see that she has a larger range beyond what she generally does.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
For type casting, the one I think straight away is Rie Kugimiya, we know her as the tsundere queen, with young/small girls being her specialty. But is quite surprising where you can see that she has a larger range beyond what she generally does.
I actually like her "normal" voice much better. Mamiko Noto falls in that category, too, though she's definitely gotten a bit more variety of late.

Ayumi Fujimura plays exactly the same character in every show, as far as I can tell.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing about Sheh is that it's really only Bang Zoom and Studiopolis that's typecasted her as the quiet moe girl. Funimation has let her play roles like Barkhorn in Strike Witches and Micchan in Eden of the East. Synch-Point, like you mentioned, let her do Mamimi in FLCL. And New Gen has given her roles like Kirie in Girls Bravo. It's BZ and Studiopolis that constantly gives her the roles like Mikuru, Eureka, Orihime, and Hinata. Although, BZ did let her do Akira Kogami in Lucky Star, and she's only quiet moe girl for a few seconds before she becomes grouchy idol bitch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Hard to say in this industry whether a VA is typecast or merely overused. There seem to be too few capable VAs for the number of roles that are out there.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Trina Nishimura is almost always voicing a hyperactive idiot or a psychotic bloodthirsty nutjob. It's a nice treat hearing her voice Kurisu Makise in Steins'Gate.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Trina Nishimura is almost always voicing a hyperactive idiot or a psychotic bloodthirsty nutjob. It's a nice treat hearing her voice Kurisu Makise in Steins'Gate.

She also played outside of that type as Nadie in El Cazador de la Bruja, who's a sort of sarcastic, relatively low-key character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
getchman wrote:

She also played outside of that type as Nadie in El Cazador de la Bruja, who's a sort of sarcastic, relatively low-key character.

i enjoyed that as well
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
getchman wrote:

Lanfan (FMAB) and Rachel (Baccano) also spring to mind as characters that don't fit either type.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Aya Hirano- In the past, I've criticized her. But upon hindsight, maybe it's just the characters she plays.

I think one of Hirano's better, though obscure performances is Chizuku, the "Daughter of Twenty Faces" in the anime of the same name (Nijuu Mensou no Musume). Occasionally an actor or actress will voice a specific line or two that sticks in my mind. One of these belongs to Hirano and takes place near the end of episode three in this show. In this role she did not need that frantic style she displays as Haruhi or Konata, and her work is the better for it in my mind.

The King of Harts wrote:
Although, BZ did let her do Akira Kogami in Lucky Star, and she's only quiet moe girl for a few seconds before she becomes grouchy idol bitch.

Well, that is Akira's personality, though I've used "ill-tempered" to describe her a bit more charitably in the past. Akira is my favorite Lucky Star character, but I've only heard Konno Hiromi's brilliant performance where she switches effortlessly between Akira's grouchy "off-screen" persona and her upbeat "onscreen" rendition. Bye-bee!

Last edited by yuna49 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
Type-casting isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you have a VA who's really good at playing a particular kind of role, why wouldn't you hire them? I can understand where it might stifle creative growth, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Yes, I her voice as Kagura from Gintama activated strong feelings of nastalgia when I watched Gintama. She can do male voices though, as her parlance in both FMA series has shown.

She was quite vivacious and lively as Kujikawa Rise in Persona 4.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
Maybe relatively new seiyuu Yuuki Kaji (not sure how to spell) is always being casted as a main character who's usually diminutive, cowardish and pathetic. It's obvious he's got quite a range and seems to be good at what he does.

I also need to say Rie Kugamiya always being casted for tsundere role when I do like her other voice better.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm just sick of hearing Todd Haberkorn voice EVERY SINGLE MALE LEAD CHARACTER in every other dub that FUNimation puts out these days.

He was fantastic as Nagasumi in My Bride is a Mermaid, sure. But after a while, it really starts to get old quick. Confused

I also think Brina Palencia and Cherami Leigh are starting to get overused, as well. I don't mind it all that much when Brina gets type-cast as a grouchy tsun-tsun, but in Cherami's case I'd definitely like to see more range.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I'd just like to point out that Todd hasn't gotten a lead role since Rosario + Vampire, and that was released in December of 2011 (and was delayed several times). There have since been 11 new dubs from Funimation that haven't featured him as a lead. His next two lead roles are in Aria and C, and then that's it for this year unless something comes out in December with him (I'm doubtful) . There are total of 18 new Funimation dubs so far that we know of for this year, and Todd will have gotten leads in only two of them. I am, of course, excluding Fairy Tail and Hetalia since those are recurring roles from releases that started last year - those don't really count as new roles.

That statement held much more weight a few years ago, but now you're just parroting old statements because you don't feel like updating your complaints list. Does Chris Patton and Luci Christian as every male and female lead bother you, too?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2