• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Manga (for scanlation readers)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
What I don't get is Obito's right eye is pretty obviously crushed when the rocks fell on him in the gaiden chapter. Heck, how would he even survive that? But even assuming it works somehow, just saying it's Obito still doesn't work without something more behind it. He was a small-time ninja, there's no way he'd have access to all the knowledge he has now.

The frustrating thing about this series is there's so many ridiculous jutsu that the answer literally could be anything.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Funny though, this last chapter left me thinking Tobi ISN'T Obito. I was almost sure he was Obito for the last 2-3 chapters, but this last one doesn't exactly confirm it.

I see it this way: Tobi has Obito's eye (That's why he's connected to Kakashi's yutsu) but he has to be someone older. Because, as NeburPT said, he would have been a child by the time the Village was attacked, yet in the flashbacks his height was about the same as ever.

And let's not forget the original Madara knows him, and that dude is old as fudge.

So, unless Obito is actually a pretty old guy with more power than what we know of (That's actually possible), Tobi could be anybody..

Seriously, I hate the "Tobi is Obito" idea, until the author can come up with a good excuse I call it bananas. So, two of my favorite theories are:

- Tobi is Madara's brother or some real old Uchiha relative: That would explain why Madara knows him, and why he's so damn powerful.

- Tobi is a zetsu. SAY WHAAAA?? It's not that far fetched, since we dont know anything about them and they look quite dangerous. All we need is an origin story (they could be a Madara creation, and they seek more power searching for special eyes and stuff, and that will tie it all) and to relate it to Yamato's story. Seriously, what the hell happened to that guy?? He was never seen again. I bet he's part of something big, but he's not the story we deserve right now...It's the one we need, lol.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Yup, Kishimoto has left it at the perfect jump-off point from where he can go in one of two directions: Tobi is Obito Uchiha or Tobi is not Obito Uchiha. (No, I'm not meaning to be a Captain Obvious here.)
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
Ever since it was mentioned in Bakuman, I wondered when someone would try to write a textless chapter.

Well, we have the truth, so now the question is...how?
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote
To the naysayers and overanalyzers, just one thing: WE WERE RIGHT!

I still can't stop laughing, albeit borderline psychotically, about this... Laughing

That man who formed Akatsuki, that man responsible for the Leaf's destruction, that man who declared war on the world, and that man... Who claimed to be Madara Uchiha...
kpk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

I still can't stop laughing, albeit borderline psychotically, about this... Laughing

That man who formed Akatsuki, that man responsible for the Leaf's destruction, that man who declared war on the world, and that man... Who claimed to be Madara Uchiha...

That man who was responsible for the Nine-Tails Attack on Konoha, the reason for this ENTIRE series!!

NeburPT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I'm guessing that the man responsible for the nine tails rampage must be something like Obito's mentor and the one who saved him after getting crushed in the cave and giving his eye to Kakashi. Obito was still too young at that time to have fully developed his powers and to have that figure. Could the real Madara have been his savior, for example? Confused]
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
NeburPT wrote:
spoiler[I'm guessing that the man responsible for the nine tails rampage must be something like Obito's mentor and the one who saved him after getting crushed in the cave and giving his eye to Kakashi. Obito was still too young at that time to have fully developed his powers and to have that figure. Could the real Madara have been his savior, for example? Confused]

Based on what we know of the Naruto world, there isn't any way possible, with what we know of the Naruto world, that he could've saved himself.
kpk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
NeburPT wrote:

I thought so too, but then I realized it must be spoiler[Obito] because he used the same teleportation technique back then.
kpk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

I also can't stop laughing. That that little kid is behind everything, knows everything. And now has both a Sharingan AND a Rinnegan!

How crazy is that?! Laughing
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
Chapter 600 confirms that Tobi is Obito Uchiha.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
The moral of Chapter 600 is that you shouldn't love anyone ever because it will make you a homicidal maniac bent on warping reality.

Looking at you Hinata.
kpk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
LOL!

So all the bad things that happened in the series were all because Kakashi couldn't save one little girl?!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I still don't believe Rin is dead. But ooooo, Madara~ And Sasuke might be on the way as well. There's a lot of Sharingan running around. Aren't Sharingan supposed to totally put the 9-tails under?]

And is it just me, or did they open it up forspoiler[ Orochimaru] to return as the main evil baddie after this Uchiha thing is over?
NeburPT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Disappointing chapter: half of it wasted in flashbacks directly taken from kakashi gaiden, the other half has obito holding a grudge about a character that only appeared in that side story and of whom readers have absolutely no concern about (how did she die exactly?), Madara appears from nowhere after ending one of the most important battles of the war offscreen. Unrequited love as a 12 year old will apparently f*** you up for life. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 75 of 79