• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Most Visually Striking Anime Productions

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Some good choices here, Mononoke would probably be my personal favorite though.

One of the great series that is not licensed (well except the Bake Neko arc with a disappointing cover).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
I am surprised that Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit did not get an honorable mention.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
I dont want be that guy but we have here Dead Leaves and no FLCL.There is something really wrong with this list.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
I am surprised that Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit did not get an honorable mention.

Because it's not unique visually. It doesn't experiment with the medium. Taking out all of my laundry list of critiques with the show itself, detail is not the same as visual inventiveness. Yes, they spend a lot of money on the backgrounds, but it's the same type of backgrounds you see elsewhere, just more expensive.

One of the joys of the medium is to see artistic uniqueness, which is why generic shows tend to grind my gears. Especially in regards to animation, which offers that freedom.

Also I really need to see Paprika, given how much I enjoyed Perfect Blue.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
The witch scenes in Madoka Magica are why you need to watch the series on blu-ray. I would definitely say that one is my favourite. I think Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine deserves a mention too.

I do agree with Paprika being number one. It wasn't so much the style of the animation that was striking (then again, I have yet to watch it in HD), but it was the images themselves that were really amazing.
theshadowboss

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
Where is Gankutsuou? That show looks like nothing else I have ever seen, and it should have at least got an honorable mention. It probably gave the author of this article a headache.
flannobrien

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
I'll be that guy: Tekkonkinkreet should be on this list. That is all.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
Ugh, Bakemonogatari, I feel like the unique visuals was all it had going for it. But it wasn't enough for me to watch the whole thing either. Not by a long shot. And how many times can you see "Blank Frame" before you just flat out go "yeah, you're being lazy"?

But Gankutsuou is something I'm surprised didn't get a mention. I personally don't like the visual style due to it making my eyes want to bleed, but striking and unique? That it is. But Mononoke got mention, which was kinda like the visual idea of Gankutsuou toned down to the point of being awesome, but not making my eyes want to bleed. And yeah, Kuuchuu Buranko had awesome visuals, makes me wanna import an R4 copy of it.

Flag was told entirely first person view from a camera (with occasional computer screens, cameras inside of mecha, and photographs), so that quite impressed me as rather unique and visually striking. We rarely saw our main character as she was behind the lens, but stuff like camera passes or running with a camera were really cool. The animation itself was normal (though good), but the first person thing wins for me.

As for the bodyguards....too bad Venture Brothers isn't an anime, as Brock Samson would be my clear pick. I just can't take anything less.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
@beatdigga

The phrase used was "visually striking", there is nothing there that says the shows listed have to be visually unique. A very well done show can be striking even if it is normal and Moribito is. So was Mushishi in my opinion.

If you like visually unique shows that is fine, but it is not everyone's cup of tea.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Ugh, Bakemonogatari, I feel like the unique visuals was all it had going for it. But it wasn't enough for me to watch the whole thing either. Not by a long shot. And how many times can you see "Blank Frame" before you just flat out go "yeah, you're being lazy"?

I know they were frequent in the broadcast versions due to scheduling issues, but didn't they get rid of them in their DVD releases?
kaydub

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'm a little surprised to see Bakemonogatari rated above Madoka. I personally prefer Bakemonogatari's artwork myself, but I also think that Madoka's is a bit more striking and unique. Not just in the witch's labyrinths, but throughout the show as well. Nice to see them both on the list though.

I think that Eureka Seven and The Tatami Galaxy are some other titles that could be considered. They both have some very distinct and well-done artwork that stand out among other titles IMO.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
I'll also support the notion that Gankutsuou is the most egregious omission from this list; in fact, I'm shocked that it's not here, as nothing I've ever seen in anime looks as striking or visually distinctive as it does - and that includes most of the titles which did make the cut. Some of its style points have been copied in other later releases, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
theshadowboss wrote:
Where is Gankutsuou? That show looks like nothing else I have ever seen, and it should have at least got an honorable mention. It probably gave the author of this article a headache.
The very first title I thought of when I saw the topic. Poor "The List" writers, always immediately having people come into the topic thread whining about pointing out titles that should have been included. Smile
ralphmerridew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Bodyguards... I can't think of that many...

There's Bolt Crank (Eat Man), Amakusa Juuza (Umineko), maybe Duke Togo (Golgo 13)?
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I personally loved the Kara No Kyoukai movies look. They were very dark and yet very striking at the same time. For example there was many scenes where the blood was so bright and red in a otherwise very dark scene and it just had this haunting beauty to it that very few other things get close to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7