• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Official Synopsis for Spike Lee's Oldboy Revealed

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daggerbob

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
Seems intriguing as long as Spike Lee doesn't trash the original concepts of the story like they did Dragonball, Aikra, and others when they made live-action American versions of anime or manga stories.
Granamonkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote
This makes about as much sense as the American remake of Låt den Rätte Komma in (Let the Right One in). None. Why does Hollywood feel the need to take foreign films and redo them? Oh yeah, they want easy cash.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
daggerbob wrote:
Seems intriguing as long as Spike Lee doesn't trash the original concepts of the story...

As this is based on the Korean movie rather than the original manga I'd say the story has already been trashed. The Korean movie only had two things in common with the manga, guy gets locked up for a long time, guy wants to find who did it.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Granamonkey wrote:
This makes about as much sense as the American remake of Låt den Rätte Komma in (Let the Right One in). None. Why does Hollywood feel the need to take foreign films and redo them? Oh yeah, they want easy cash.

We British are always scratching our heads when America tries to remake our shows for no reason whatsoever (For more recent examples, The Inbetweeners and Sherlock). I wonder if it's because people in the entertainment industry are in denial that there are other countries in the world or something? xD
totoum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
Granamonkey wrote:

You see,Hollywood wants easy cash,that makes perfect sense!
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
well, i came on here to say it's pointless and will be a trainwreck, but then read the cast they've assembled. it's pretty impressive. i've seen them all in great movies and have very good performances. the chick the lead character falls in love with is elizabeth olsen and she's a sister of the olsen twins. yes, they are talentless ghouls, but she on the other hand can act really well and is very hot. big boobs and pretty face. check out the movie "martha marcy may marlene" and you'll get why i like her so much. it was her debut i think and she rocked it out and got naked a bunch. a more recent movie she did is silent house. i liked it and even if you don't love the movie, because it's a low budget horror, you gotta admit her acting was very good. i'm a big fan. so the talent on this movie is very good, but the problem is just how badly will spike lee fudge it up?
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Granamonkey wrote:

We British are always scratching our heads when America tries to remake our shows for no reason whatsoever (For more recent examples, The Inbetweeners and Sherlock). I wonder if it's because people in the entertainment industry are in denial that there are other countries in the world or something? xD

because a lot of americans see something foreign and that's enough to not even give it a chance. hollywood is lazy too and it's much easier and less work to remake something already done then to make something yourself from scratch. i love the office uk, but gotta say the office usa from season 2-6 is hilarious and at it's best funnier than the uk version. after season 6 it's garbage though. the uk one had a nice build to it though. season 1 was funny and then 2 got even funnier and it had a nice conclusion with the special that took place sometime after the series ended. it wrapped it up nicely. you don't ever see sitcoms in the usa build like that towards an end.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
maxxjulie, I am glad you know absolutely how things exactly will turn out.

I know the evidence is substantial that American remakes are horrendous, but we watch anime, we watch adaptations all the time! Is it just because Japanese people are adapting a Japanese work, they are magically more adept at it? If Oldboy can be put together by a Korean director and the product is a success, why lose all hope for an American adaptation.

I think I go to bat for this adaptation in particular because usually an adaptation is put into the hands of a director whose body of work is not particularly stellar. Spike Lee? That kid might of directed an alright movie or two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kushiel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm not passing judgement on this movie yet, but everyone seems to forget The Departed when thinking of adaptations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Josh Brolin is awesome, so it by default has my approval. Anyone seen No County For Old Men? he's such a bad ass in that movie its ridiculous.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
totoum wrote:
Granamonkey wrote:

You see, Hollywood wants easy cash, that makes perfect sense!

Yep, as if otaku anime don't do the same thing! Everybody wants easy cash. Laughing

maxxjulie wrote:
the chick the lead character falls in love with is elizabeth olsen and she's a sister of the olsen twins. yes, they are talentless ghouls, but she on the other hand can act really well and is very hot. big boobs and pretty face.

Exactly like how we pre-judge anime previews! Laughing

YotaruVegeta wrote:

I know the evidence is substantial that American remakes are horrendous, but we watch anime, we watch adaptations all the time! Is it just because Japanese people are adapting a Japanese work, they are magically more adept at it? If Oldboy can be put together by a Korean director and the product is a success, why lose all hope for an American adaptation.

And the Korean adaptation is different from the original manga. So that shows just because an adaptation is different does not mean it can't be successful at it.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I skipped that whole "the Olsen Twins are talentles ghouls" Ouch. They're not really in your face, not like real no-talents such as Kim Kardashian. They made their money when they were young and then went to college. What "ghouls."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
maxxjulie, I am glad you know absolutely how things exactly will turn out.

I think I go to bat for this adaptation in particular because usually an adaptation is put into the hands of a director whose body of work is not particularly stellar. Spike Lee? That kid might of directed an alright movie or two.

well, it's pretty easy. see if you can follow this difficult to understand logic: spike lee sucks. the korean old boy was directed by one of korea's best directors ever, park chan-wook, if not THE best director ever in their history of movies. his imdb of directed movies is an amazing list of original inventive movies. spike lee on the other hand has done mostly garbage. he wastes more energy on claiming everything is racist than directing his piece of crap movies. so now that you understand, what are the chances of this very movie being any good? it's not just any movie either, but one that's very out there and edgy being remade by a director that most film experts feel hasn't done anything good in at least a decade. the story and the cast is there for a good movie, but they are just the ingredients. spike lee is the chef and guess what? he can't even boil an egg.

Last edited by maxxjulie on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
well, it's pretty easy. see if you can follow this difficult to understand logic: spike lee sucks. the korean old boy was directed by one of korea's best directors ever if not THE best director ever in their history of movies. spike lee on the other hand has done mostly garbage. so now that you understand, what are the chance of this very movie being good? it's not just any movie either, but one that's very out there and edgey being remade by a director that most film experts feel hasn't done anything good in at least a decade. that story and the cast is there for a good movie, but they are just the incredients. spike lee is the chef and guess what? he can't even boil an egg.

Thanks this made me laugh.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Can we start blocking "oh no another American remake of something foreign" comments already; we were spammed with those to death the first few threads on this topic. Everyone understands that its only the Americans who make remakes, and they are always bad.

Sarcasm aside, like it has already been pointed out Oldboy the film was a Korean adaption of a Japanese work. On top of that, it was not a very good movie anyway, Ill give it the twist ending but the rest of the movie did not particularly catch my interest.

And since someone brought up Departed, well how about the Chinese remake of What Women Want, really? Thats the movie you chose to remake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4