• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Packaging Questions

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GDFan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Actually, now that I have one in hand, I can see the appeal these releases have. If I could afford it, I would buy the Katanagatari sets just to stare at the boxes for awhile. The second set for Arakawa Under the Bridge looks incredible too.
GDFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
I just received the Hack//Quantum combo set. It's a standard blu-ray case, in a standard dvd-sized slipcase. I really prefer blu-ray packaging, but why are they trying to please everyone? Can FUNi just pick a format and go with it? It's not like I'm going to throw away the slipcase. And if you're picky, like I am, the bottom corners are all crushed because there's nothing there to support them, just empty cardboard. Maybe it's the little things that make life worth living, but it's definately little things that piss me off the most.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity... The first volume of MB's Magic User's Club has a transparent case and a transparent printed cover, so that you can see through to the disc.

Are there other anime examples of this sort of packaging?
supercreep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Just out of curiosity... The first volume of MB's Magic User's Club has a transparent case and a transparent printed cover, so that you can see through to the disc.

Are there other anime examples of this sort of packaging?

I can only think of one: the Special edition volumes of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig. The cases are tin and have a clear plastic center so you can see the discs inside.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, interesting. Sounds very cool!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Geneon's limited edition of "Submarine 707R" is similar to the "Magic User's Club". Though what you see through the case and cover is the back of the packed in poster.

The problem with the tin cases from Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig is that they held two discs stacked and it was very hard to get the discs out. They looked good though.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
Just in case anyone was interested, I asked at NISA's panel at Sakura-Con about their packaging decisions. Basically, the short version of the answer is "we don't sell at brick & mortar stores where we have to fit onto their shelves, so we packaged it the way we think works best for us".
manicli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
For all the people who bought Spice and Wolf II LE set. I found a way to fit DVDs and BDs of both seasons into the LE artbox. I just took the DVDs and BD of season 1 out of their original cases and put them in a 4 disc standard DVD case and put that into the LE box.

Mind you I took the case from Blassreiter (I strongly dislike that anime). but hey I bought the viridian release so my spines match and as for the BD artwork, i just slipped that underneath the DVD one. doesn't look too bad if you ask me Smile
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering about the cases for the singles of "when they cry". The first four have clear cases, but my last two have black. I bought most of them used so I was wondering if the cases were changed out.
lem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I was wondering about the cases for the singles of "when they cry". The first four have clear cases, but my last two have black. I bought most of them used so I was wondering if the cases were changed out.

it's possible your vol. 4 case was simply changed out because the original was worn or damaged. I have no idea, but...

It was 2006? 2007? when I had bought the singles and art box for "When They Cry" brand new as they were being released. The first three volumes I have are in clear cases and the others in black.
It was awhile before I got the remainder/final volume because Geneon US was shutting down or about to shut down at the time.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
One thing I found when everything was still issued in singles was that there was no consistancy in cases. Because singles were issued over an extended period, it was not unlikely that the company would change case providers in the interim.

A clear case was mostly used when there was art or other printing on the inside of the cover, but even that was subject to change.

If it matters to you, you can get replacement covers at places like Staples or Best Buy or online. They are not expensive.
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:

That was one of the series that nearly stopped halfway through because of Geneon's collapse. Funimation agreed to distribute the rest of that series, and several others affected. And, that's when the cases changed. I was buying the singles as they were released, so I noticed the change, too.

Like Alan45 said, just swap out the black cases for clear. That's what I did.
Altacia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Hmm...

Anyone know if the Super Legends version of Escaflowne is a stack pack?

There's at least three different versions of the TV Series. Anime dazed
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
The Super Legends version is not a single spindle stack pack. It has all eight discs in a single case. Two on each side of the case and two on each side of a single flap. It does overlap the discs which some people dislike.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Manga storage question.

Maybe it's because I've spent so much of my life as a regular ol' comic book collector (although not regularly for a couple years) I am realizing that I don't really feel the need to display all of my manga on shelves.

What do people use (if they use anything at all) to box up and store your manga? Can a regular comic book boxes be used to your satisfaction in some manner?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 28