• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Cobra Commander

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm sort of surprised Cobra was reviewed before The Professional, given that you're a fan of Golgo 13.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that is a huge collection of stuff..the K-On! accessories, Soul Eater/Shana/FMA/Shugo Chara, and various manga. Nice Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Well it sounds like the Space Adventure Cobra movie might be right up my alley. Heck, Discotek did release the Fist of the North Star TV series, so maybe if this movie does well they might try and get the Cobra series, which would be badass!
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, the Cobra movie got a release?

That's awesome.

I love how it plays out like a dreamlike fantasy rather than a normal science fiction. This rendition of Crystal Boy is more like a wizard or evil god than a cyborg, much unlike the portrayal in the TV series.
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I for one am psyched that Brother Dear Brother is free streaming now. Very Happy Before, I could only find fansubs on Youtube, and their videos keep stopping in the middle.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
this weeks shelf life collector...

It's perfecto~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, RPGothic, what an awesome collection! I see many of my own favorites, but you have a lot more. I especially jelly at those PreCure posters (it's my favorite magical girl franchise). Where did you get them?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

It's perfecto~

I know, it's like a convention booth. The ultimate convention booth.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Maria Watches Over Us and Aria are probably my most rewatched anime. I can get lost in either, and if any of the discs of either hit the player, I know what I will be doing for the next six hours.
Space Adventure Cobra shipped on Friday and should be arriving soon, looking forward to it.
I tried to watch Himawari on the anime network on two different occasions. I did not hate it, but it just was not my kind of thing.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Minus points for Care Bears! Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Shame there's no BD release here for Cobra, it looks good.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
I'm sort of surprised Cobra was reviewed before The Professional, given that you're a fan of Golgo 13.

Oh wow! I didn't know it got re-released. I own the older DVD, so I'm kind of hesitant to re-buy it. I hope they release Queen Bee, because I haven't seen that one yet.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As such, I have to disagree with Bamboo's assertion that Maria-sama is “slice of life,” and I'd like to conjecture that it is, in fact, high fantasy.

I've never thought about it that way, but I have to agree. Maria-sama is high fantasy. I also have the problem that it is not true yuri, that is to say it remains platonic love to the very end. The romantic love is there, bubbling under the surface, but it never really escapes, and to the show is sadly lacking due to it. I agree, the first two seasons are the weakest, and have not found the series shelf worthy either. It's definably a pantheon show, but there just isn't much value in it for me.

And it's not just all-girls school shows that flirt with the forbidden love. All-boys schools tend to swing that way too. Hell, there's even that same kind of 'elegant escapism' in the all-male Princess Princess!

...Moving on...
It's go to see Brother, Dear Brother get some love. I finished that show only a few months ago, and it was really powerful. I'd highly recommend it to everyone, and it's good to it found a streaming home. Plus, the art work is amazing.

Quote:
Meanwile, the Right Stuf sent me Martian Successor Nadesico, which I have never watched, but I've heard is some of the best of the 90's, so I'm looking forward to it.

Nadesico is a quality show, but I found it to be a tad too angsty to be one of the best (Captain Tylor is far superior to it as well, it both comedy and space battles). spoiler[But Nadesico has one of the best kisses in anime, by far, in the final episode. In fact that whole final episode is a piece of art.] Plus, Ruri is moetastic.
everapril

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

It's perfecto~

Thirded. I think that's where I'll go when I die.
The Lost Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Best shelf I've ever seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4