• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ego-search (searching one's own posts) not working

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I was looking for a post I made couple days ago so I made an ego-search, only to find out the "newest" post was on Aug 17, 2011. Shocked Neither "Find all posts by dormcat" in my profile nor the forum search function is working. HOWEVER, when I logged out and search my own posts as a guest user, everything worked fine. Rolling Eyes Searching anyone else's post using either way was perfectly fine, regardless of logged in or not.

Anyone wants to perform a similar search and let me know the result? Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
According to animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/search.php?search_author=dormcat (from your forum profile page) your last post was last September and it returned 8099 matches. Your "total posts" is 8823 (which includes deleted posts etc.)

I've been clicking on random people to find others with a high post counts.

Key has 8141 posts and search returns 7500 results up until today.

GATSU has 10879 posts and search returns 8352.. with the most recent being January 2010.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
The total post number is not exactly related (and choosing a moderator and a moderated user wasn't the best example, as either has lots of posts not visible to everyone). I can find your post in this very thread either by accessing your profile page or using the forum search engine, yet the same methods simply don't work on myself whenever logged in.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Searching for myself, it returned almost all of my posts, with the most recent actually being my most recent.

Maybe it is something to do with large post numbers.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
It's not a problem with searching for one's own posts, since I can't see all of your's either but I have no problem viewing my own.

I used Gatsu as an example since he is the only user I've found so far whose posts aren't all showing up (I'm fairly certain he's posted since in the last couple of years) and, like you, he has over 8000 actually existing posts.

I bring up post counts because your's is particularly high and is likely related to the problem.

Assuming the cutoff point is 8000 then you are only 99 posts over while Gatsu is 823 over, which would explain why your most recent posts are.. more recent.

If those 99 posts are in forums that you can't view while logged out, that would also explain why you can see more posts when logged out. I can confirm this by using incognito mode... yes, it shows posts up until today but only returns 7097 results; 1000 less than when I am logged in and this can access staff-only and community forums.

Unless the search limit can be increased it looks like you'll have to filter searches by forum section.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Since you already know it is in the past few days, select the time frame as "7 days" and display results as "posts" and you're sure to find it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I bring up post counts because your's is particularly high and is likely related to the problem.

Ah, I see. Embarassed

I guess 8191 (2 ^ 13 - 1) is probably a threshold.

Rhyono wrote:
Since you already know it is in the past few days, select the time frame as "7 days" and display results as "posts" and you're sure to find it.

Thanks, I'll probably have to use that limitation for now.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
It would make more sense it it truncated the oldest results, not the newest. I daresay it isn't something easy to modify.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Use Blood-. Never been moderated or banned and has one of the highest post counts.

Smile
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Searching for your posts gives me 7368 results, including your most recent posts.

Searching for mine gives me 6060 results. If that's what you're looking for?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
blood- returns 7530 results yet cuts out at June 7th.
However, I'm still seeing Key's most recent posts while getting 7517 results.

There's some factor other than purely the number of results then, and I haven't a clue what it is.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I investigated this issue a bit and it turns out that phpbb limits the search results to 65000 bytes. So a resultset with posts #2197918 and #2199709 would be interpreted as "2197918, 2199709" -> 16 bytes. I've modified that to remove the space, so a search can hold a little more results. I also fixed the ego/author search so that older posts will be truncated first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote
Thanks a lot, Dan. Very Happy
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1