• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bandai Entertainment discontinued anime releases update

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Just ordered the Escaflowne movie on bluray-about the only other Bandai title I want is Clamp School Detectives.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I just checked TRSI's Bandai listing. It appears I have all of the DVD and Bluray titles I want.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Gah, I need Vision of Escaflowne, Eureka 7, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Star Driver and both Banner of the Stars for sure and, if I won the lottery or something, I'd like to blind buy Flag (which I know is already hard to find) and Scrapped Princess (technically BotS would also be a blind buy since I've only seen a few episodes of Crest but it seems right up my alley). All of this really makes me wish I had gotten into anime/buying it earlier, there's just so much to catch up with.
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
via RACS
Quote:
Several people have written in a little confused about Bandai's announcement last week that they will stop shipping to retailers in November. Most people want to know "what's going to happen to all their titles"? We'll here's the deal - effective Nov of this year everything in Bandai's DVD and BD catalog will officially go out of print (as will their entire selection of manga in October). Bandai has said they intend to shop some of these licenses out, but that process is likely to be slow and their back-catalog is just way to big to be absorbed into the market by the rest of the industry as it stands, so while it's likely that a few of the premium licenses will eventually end up getting re-released by someone else (hey Sentai, please pick up K-On season 1, OK?), I imagine most of their catalog will simply go dark. Now that doesn't mean that all their releases will just vaporize in November - retailers like us are currently scrapping together as much money as we can find to do big final buy-ins on Bandai's remaining stock, and at least for us, we're hoping to stock some of their titles pretty deep assuming we can get them. Over the next 6-12 months I would expect prices to rise for OOP Bandai titles that end up getting bought up quickly and become a little harder to find. This will, of course, result in the same bitching and moaning characterizing any price increases as greed and averice from the usual suspects who couldn't be bothered to pull the trigger on these titles for the many years they were available at the regular prices. Oh joy, I can't wait to read those people comments! Smile But I also expect prices to decrease for a time on the titles that retailers choose poorly on and end up bringing in too much stock.

And before you ask, I have no idea what will become of Gundam - that series is an awfully big bite for another studio to try to take on. I fear the chances now that we'll ever see ZZ, Victory, or Turn a Gundam released in R1 are now pretty slim. ~sigh~

Anyway, we're going to go through the site during for the next couple of weeks and mark all Bandai releases as 'discontinued - limited to stock on hand' and also we'll be publishing a list shortly of all in stock Bandai titles so that you can see if there is anything you need before the lights go out in November.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
You guys might want to start doing some searches for recently OOP stuff on Amazon.

From That Anime DVD/Video Game Sale Thread

That Anime DVD/Video Game Sale Thread

The Naked Beast wrote:
I knew that if I waited long enough on Amazon, a great price would come along eventually for stuff on my watch list.

Amazon

K-On! Blu-ray 1
$17 (51% off), Link.
Sold by PVPFilmworks and Fulfilled* by Amazon.

K-On! Blu-ray 2
$17 (51% off), Link.

K-On! Blu-ray 3
$14 (53% off), Link.

K-On! Blu-ray 4
$15 (50% off), Link.

Hayate the Combat Butler, Part 1, DVD
~$7, Link.
Be sure to pick the one fulfilled* by Amazon.

Hayate the Combat Butler, Part 2, DVD
~$7.50, Link.

Hayate the Combat Butler, Part 3, DVD
$6 - $7, Link.

Hayate the Combat Butler, Part 4, DVD
$5, Link.

Hayate the Combat Butler, Part 5, DVD
$7, Link.

Hayate the Combat Butler, Part 6, DVD
$7 - $8, Link.

Hayate the Combat Butler, Part 7, DVD
$6, Link.

* If the total of all items sold by or fulfilled by Amazon is equal to or greater than $25, you can get free shipping via Amazon's FSSS.

But that's not all, I started doing searches for other shows from WTK's list on the front page of this thread and the only conclusion that can be made is that Bandai has dumped a giant load of unsold overstock singles on some warehouse dealers. Lucky Star and Haruhi LE's going for under $10, KuroKami DVD's and BD's $5-10.

Not everything that I searched for, but quite a lot going for pretty low overstock prices.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Sort of wish someone would pick up KuroKami (Black God) just so it can have a box set release. I guess I could get the 6 BDs and put the singles into 2 BD cases that hold 3 discs.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Hayate The Combat Butler-done! If you want Kurokami just get the single blurays and put them into a multidisc case-simple, huh?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
You heard it guys. Buy up those Bandai discs before Robert starts charging "OOP prices" lol. He ain't getting a dime from me.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
About Hayate The Combat Butler. Did bandai drop it befor it was done? Because there's a part 8 for like $500, and I don't feel like getting another series that will never be complete.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
No, Hayate was completed; there are 8 box sets that cover the entire 52-eppie first season. However, Bandai sprinkled gold dust on all number 8 sets. At least, I'm assuming that's what they did, considering the price people are asking for them.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
No, Hayate was completed; there are 8 box sets that cover the entire 52-eppie first season. However, Bandai sprinkled gold dust on all number 8 sets. At least, I'm assuming that's what they did, considering the price people are asking for them.

Calling them box sets is kinda incorrect. They're 8 single DVDs. Also, there are diamonds imbedded in them, not gold dust.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
TRSI has de-listed Blue Submarine No.6 (AL). So get them while you can from anywhere.
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Some BEI releases to keep an eye on...

Amazon.com status: only available via 3rd party venders
  • Eureka Seven: Complete Collection 2 (Anime Legends)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Season 2 Collection (Anime Legends)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta: Complete Collection 2 (Anime Legends)

Amazon.com status: Usually ships in 1 to 2 months.
  • Banner of the Stars: Complete Collection (Anime Legends)

Amazon.com status: Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.
  • Star Driver, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
  • Star Driver, Part 2 (Blu-ray)

TRSI status: We'll Get It for You!
  • Banner of the Stars II DVD Complete Collection (Hyb) (Anime Legends)

TRSI status: More Arriving Soon!
  • Escaflowne: The Movie Blu-ray (Hyb)
  • Eureka Seven DVD Complete Collection 2 (Hyb) - Anime Legends
  • Ghost Slayers Ayashi DVD Complete Collection (Hyb) (Anime Legends)
  • Girl Who Leapt Through Time, The DVD (Hyb) Limited Edition
  • Gundam, Mobile Suit 00 DVD Complete Season 2 (Hyb) - Anime Legends
  • Gundam, Mobile Suit F91 DVD (Hyb) (Anime Movie Classics)
  • Gundam, Mobile Suit Movie Trilogy DVD (S) - Anime Legends
  • Gundam, Mobile Suit Zeta Movie DVD Complete Collection (S)
  • K-ON! DVD 3 (Hyb)
  • Rocket Girls Complete Collection DVD (S)
  • Sola DVD Complete Collection (S) (Anime Legends)
  • Tales of the Abyss DVD Part 1 (S) Limited Edition
  • Toward the Terra DVD Complete Collection (S) - Anime Legends
  • True Tears DVD Complete Series (S) - Anime Legends
  • Wolf's Rain DVD Perfect Collection (Hyb) - Anime Legends
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote
I really want to know how much RightStuf gets in stock when they get a restock of items. I mean, Wolf's Rain got restocked a little while ago and now it's out of stock, with more coming on the way. Guess people are making sure to get their Bandai stuff.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
TRSI is not going share how much units they receive to the public. I mean why would they.

The list is just a heads-up. Some releases (on that list) from TRSI may go directly to de-listing without popping a counter (since they may not be in-stock). Amazon.com list is just a comparison.

Obviously TRSI will do their best to acquire additional BEI inventories (some from other retailers). There is no way to know for sure what will absolutely get restocked.

As for Wolf's Rain, it was re-stocked for a number of months. If you don't want to wait, you can always check with other online retailers and make the purchase elsewhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 15