• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UK Band Yes, Singer Tommy Perform Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Themes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
Roundabout? Seriously? Shocked

That is one of the most unexpectedly random and awesome things ever.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
What would be a appropriate picture insert right now is one of those head exploding ones taken from the Scanners movie. Roundabout? That really is crazy and cool at the same time. I'm getting flashbacks to driving around my hometown listening to that, on cassette, which was recorded from an LP record. How many of you young whippersnappers can say that? ha ha! I'm not a fan of Jojo's, but I'll have to watch an episode just to see the ED. Very Happy
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
Amazing. I've still got the LP. I've gotta see how they'll animate it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CountZeroOR
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
So, I read through this article several times before it clicked with me that Yes was doing just the closing - and they weren't recording anything new for it. When I first read the the article, I thought Yes was doing both, which would have been kind of nuts (in a good way).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Regannator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
As awesome as this news is, there's still the little matter that all US offices and companies in charge of bringing anime over are too poor to afford even so much as an Oasis song, let alone a Yes song. Laughing

When the series comes stateside, expect the ending to be changed.
sepherest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's unexpected and very awesome. Laughing
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
You only have to look at my avatar to know how much I like this idea. I was interested in JoJo before, but having Roundabout as an ending theme? How cool is that?

Of course, I can hear all of the metal fans suddenly demanding that Dio would be more appropriate ("The Last in Line" maybe?).
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
this has now peaked my interest in seeing this show, at least the first episode anyway. So weird but Awesome!
CountZeroOR
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:
As awesome as this news is, there's still the little matter that all US offices and companies in charge of bringing anime over are too poor to afford even so much as an Oasis song, let alone a Yes song. Laughing

Well, I do kind of wonder if Oasis raised the cost to use the song for the US companies (sort of like how some actors don't mind doing ads in Japan, but do care if these ads come out the US). However, we don't have access to those contracts, so we'll probably never know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kamidai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge JoJo fan (actually that is... perhaps something of an understatement; it's my favorite anime/manga related franchise OF ALL TIME, see my avatar), and this isn't nearly as unexpected for any reason other than "THEY WERE ABLE TO GET IT?!" as people seem to be thinking.

JoJo is absolutely MADE of Western rock music. I think a lot of the hardcore fans would have been disappointed if they didn't manage to get at least one classic Western rock song for the OP or ED!

And Yes isn't as far out of left field as it might seem, either; one of the villains in the arc that's first up for animation is named Bruford, and there's a character in the eighth arc who canonically adores Yes (and Queen, too, because she has good taste).

Needless to say though, I nearly screamed in happiness when I saw this. I'm hoping for a good OP, but the ED is already a home run as far as I'm concerned! The more news I hear about this anime, the more excited I am....
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:

Yet FUNi DID bring over that Oasis song but as the DVD & BD's first episode opening. Rolling Eyes

As for Jojo, the Ending song will be the least of this anime's problems so if it ever gets licensed here, expect more changes than that similar to how Part 3 was handled here.
Regannator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Yet FUNi DID bring over that Oasis song but as the DVD & BD's first episode opening. Rolling Eyes

Because, once again, they were too poor to afford it for more than a single episode...
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I was honestly expecting Danny to not even be written into the show for obvious reasons. But lo and behold, he's going to be in it...even if his fate is a real stomach turner.

But my God! They managed to get the rights to Roundabout from Yes for the show's 1st ending theme? If that isn't freaking awesome, I don't know what is!

I hope the 2nd ending theme is an R.E.O. Speedwagon song. Wink
Mikeski

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, since anime EDs tend to be 90 seconds long, they'll be using about 1/6th of Roundabout. Wink

(For season 2, they'll use 1/54th of Tales from Topographic Oceans.)
Regannator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Well, since anime EDs tend to be 90 seconds long, they'll be using about 1/6th of Roundabout. Wink

(For season 2, they'll use 1/54th of Tales from Topographic Oceans.)

The instrumental intro itself is longer lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2