• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Connect Five

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
The "Maintain the relationship in the real world" issue was a much bigger deal in .hack//SIGN. It was nice to see it addressed here, but christ, they could exchange cellphone numbers! Also Asuna freaking about maybe being older than Kirito was just odd.

Uhhh...oh yeah, Nobuna. Wouldn't it be awesome if Saru really was dead? Now that would be a twist!

He's clearly not though, so whatever.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
About the Stream listing itself, I gotta say I'm glad to see you have Tari Tari at the top. I wouldn't put it above Sword Art Online or Dog Days' myself, but among the top shows you have, its easily my favorite. It keeps on getting better and better.

Quote:
I'm not sure if I like this new side story. The whole “mommy”/”daddy” thing feels a little forced to me, because it just adds another layer to Kirito and Asuna playing house that seems more sinister than cute. Hopefully it doesn't last long, though, and we can go back to the main storyline, whether it's on the front lines or not.

I don't know exact details, but I have heard this isn't a side story like some of the earlier stuff. Its apparently the beginning of a significant arc.

Also, on 2ch Episode 10 of Sword Art Online has already kind of achieved "Legendary Status", and its preorders had a massive spike after it, similar to Madoka ep. 3. I'm not really sure myself why people are so excited about that episode in Japan, but whatever.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I don't know exact details, but I have heard this isn't a side story like some of the earlier stuff. Its apparently the beginning of a significant arc.

It is a side story as it's from the 2nd novel, which is composed entirely of side stories. But characters from these side stories do play a part in later novels.

RyanSaotome wrote:
Also, on 2ch Episode 10 of Sword Art Online has already kind of achieved "Legendary Status", and its preorders had a massive spike after it, similar to Madoka ep. 3. I'm not really sure myself why people are so excited about that episode in Japan, but whatever.

It's the implied sex. Probably.

Anyways, glory to the Tari Tari master race! Laughing Feels good to see it at the top. May not be original, or edgy, or whatever, but it just does so many things right.

It also helps that it keeps delivering what I mentioned I wanted in the last Stream thread, ku ku ku. Very Happy

As for Kokoro Connect, I think that arc finale should have been that way. As soon as they showed that cliff I was all "Some one's gonna fall off that thing before the arc is over" and sure enough when Heartseed said Taichi fell I assumed what Himeko did. However the show had pulled a fast one on us and he had just fallen out of a tree. This is great precicely because it wasn't just a carbon copy of the last arc's finale. If they kept going for dramatic developments like last time it would get old real fast.

This current arc does have lots of potential too. It's not just about them turning into kids, it's also about them facing their pasts since their memories come flooding back.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

It is a side story as it's from the 2nd novel, which is composed entirely of side stories. But characters from these side stories do play a part in later novels.

Oh, thats good. I guess it goes to show you can't trust everything /a/ says then, heh. I wasn't really looking forward to a few episodes of seeing their married life after all.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

More side stories? SAO's unique orgins make it quite the disjointed little series. I like the idea, but I don't think SAO is using it to its full potential.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I agree 100% with Bamboo on Natsuyuki Rendezvous. Too much time was spent and wasted on the fairy land. The ending had to be rushed because not a damned thing had been solved halfway through episode 11. At its beginning, I was convinced that Natsuyuki Rendezvous was going to be my favorite series of this season.

I, however, disagree with you Bamboo on Kokoro Connect. The finale for the first arc was a very intense ride, but it was too emotionally taxing in my opinion. That is why I was cool with the more relaxed finale to the second arc. I did not see the need for something shocking to occur at episode 10, at least not halfway through the series.

As far as the third arc, I like it. I think it has the potential to be a great catalyst to know more about the characters' lives. Kokoro Connect continues to be my favorite series of Summer 2012, followed by Tari Tari and Sword Art Online.
Skullface

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

More side stories? SAO's unique orgins make it quite the disjointed little series. I like the idea, but I don't think SAO is using it to its full potential.

This side story is the last one for a long time to my knowledge
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Apparently there is going to be another arc in Kokoro Connect that's made up of DVD-only episodes so maybe that will provide the extra "oomf" for the show to end on (although since they're DVD only episodes I guess it's a moot point here).
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
May this fortnight's Sword Art Online discussion thread begin.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Ratings have begun to slip a bit for Uchuu Kyoudai. After continually garnering household ratings in the 3-4% range at the outset, the past few weeks have seen ratings in the mid-to-low twos. While Bamboo enjoys watching Mutta mow lawns, I'm not so sure the audience in Japan is quite so enthusiastic. Somebody, presumably Hibito, needs to go into space pretty soon I think. The show is half over, and we have yet to see any space travel at all.

I know that the manga got a pretty big boost when the series began, but something more needs to happen other than dining out and mowing lawns. Is the manga as slow paced as this? If someone is reading the manga, can you tell us if there is any actual space travel any time soon?
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

I've only read the beginning of the third novel (the second full novel) and the events here are fairly necessary for what happens there.

Besides that, I agree that there are too many side stories. It's really throwing off the pacing.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
All the side stories are likely just setting it up for being a long series. With the projected sales its getting, its pretty much guaranteed a sequel (if not multiple sequels), so I think they just want to get this boring stuff out of the way first, instead of being forced to do flashback episodes later on.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
How many units (per volume) is Sword Art Online projected to sell? Are we talking over forty thousand?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
How many units (per volume) is Sword Art Online projected to sell? Are we talking over forty thousand?

After the boost from Episode 10, it went from 35k projected to 90k projected. No way it hits that 90k number, but it could do 50k if it continues to stay at a high level.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Remember that SAO has consistantly ranked #1 on the light novel rankings so it was always ungodly popular to begin with.

Still, you can tell the first novel was written with a single book in mind. It told its story and that was it. But then it became popular so the 2nd novel is used to expand upon the first and introduces a larger cast to carry on into future stories.

The anime simply decided to animate these stories chronologically.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12