Forum - View topic
King of Thorn (movie).


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sheleigha



Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 1461

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I was curious about this newly released title, since I just blind bought it today. I decided to keep it sealed, just in case I change my mind and return it, although I'm usually pretty good about blind buying anime.

Basically I was wondering: how is it, honestly, and DISREGARDING the manga. I didn't even know it was based off a manga until today when I looked up reviews for it, curiously. EVERY reviewer gave it a mediocre score, only because "it wasn't as good as the manga" basically. This is going off Amazon and MyAnimeList, and there weren't too many reviews, but the ONLY person who actually said the movie was really good, was the person who didn't read the manga. After finding out not only that it had a manga, but that it was a Tokyopop manga (thus OOP) and one volume being one of those $40+ pricing.... yeah I won't be reading it anytime soon^^

So I mean, the trailer looked interesting enough, the story seems intriguing, but I just really don't want to be disappointed by it since I have pretty high hopes from the little I've seen. Think I'll be able to enjoy it enough, prior to reading it? It just bugs me that unless the movie adaptation was terrible, that everyone's complain so much about it. That goes for any adaptation of course but I mean, you can only fit SO much into the length of a theatrical movie...

I know even I usually say to not look into reviews and see for yourself, but as far as budgets go right now (and getting it for a pretty good price too), I'm just hoping it won't be as bad as these "manga is better" reviewers make it out to be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 11826
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
We'll have a formal review of the movie up eventually (as soon as I can get my hands on my promised copy of it, actually). Based on what I remember from watching a fansub, the movie is an effective apocalyptic horror story with a massive and ugly twist towards the end. The pacing is, by dint of necessity, quite a bit faster than its manga version, and the late stages of the movie do change a lot of the details - though IMO not necessarily in a bad way, as some of the elements in the manga version's late stages got more than a little weird (even by the series' internal logic).

I may change my mind on this when I get to see it properly and in long-anticipated dubbed form, but IIRC I had about a B-range impression of the movie on an A-to-F scale.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 6818
Location: Minnesota, USA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
I really liked it, and personally think this is a classic example of the underrated title. Great characters, cool action, a compelling storyline with mystery, horror, and a touch of mind-screw. I gave it an Excellent, personally, and I own it as well. Also I didn't read the manga myself. It is sitting on the shelf next to me complete though, so I do plan to. However, continents move faster than I read manga and there's lots of other unread books on said shelf.... Anime smallmouth

I dunno' your personal tastes though and can't tell if you've seen similar stuff since you haven't enabled the My Anime button, so I can't accurately judge whether you personally would like it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha



Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 1461

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I may change my mind on this when I get to see it properly and in long-anticipated dubbed form, but IIRC I had about a B-range impression of the movie on an A-to-F scale.


That's still pretty good! Most of these views seems to be more of a C-D scale. I wish people would rate a movie for a movie, and not "stuff that was left out that was in the manga".


Kruszer wrote:

I dunno' your personal tastes though and can't tell if you've seen similar stuff since you haven't enabled the My Anime button, so I can't accurately judge whether you personally would like it.


Oof, that would take way too long for me to work on^^ I have my list on MyAnimeList, but even then my tastes are so of... everywhere. When someone asks for recommendations (in general) the first I ask is "what things are you into?" but in this case, I already had an interest in what I saw. Plus, I'm in the mood for a sci-fi horror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
errinundra
Enjoying the time of EVEEnjoying the time of EVE


Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2661
Location: Melbourne, Oz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:21 am Reply with quote
I was lucky enough to see this at the cinema as part of the 2010 Reelanime Film Festival. I saw it along with Evangelion 2.0 and Redline and, frankly, enjoyed it more than the other two. On the big screen it was a visual treat (as were the other two) but where it stood out was its creepy atmosphere, especially suited to a darkened cinema.

Colour me fussy, though, but I won't buy the BD/DVD with its current cover. Which means that the movie isn't so good that it can overcome my distaste for the cover.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
One-Eye



Joined: 08 Mar 2011
Posts: 1264

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I did not read the manga and unlike errinundra I prefer Evangelion 2.0 and Redline, though I still have some issues with them, over King of Thorn. What I recall thinking at the time was that it was a jumble of ideas some good and others not so good. I recall thinking there were some plot holes that bothered me, the culling of the redshirts was contrived and too expedient, most characters were superficial and I didn't care for the ending.

Sheleigha wrote:
That's still pretty good! Most of these views seems to be more of a C-D scale.

Imho, if people were grading it in the C to D range then that was a tad too harsh. Some of the ideas and visuals save it for me and I would probably say its more in the B- range (C+ if I'm feeling particularly merciless). I think I'm a little more tough on grading things than others, so I can see if other viewers might rate it a solid B. I wouldn't agree with that grade, but I can see others giving it that. On the other hand, I think an A- is too high for this movie. But hey, that's just my opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kruszer
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 6818
Location: Minnesota, USA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
What errinundra mentioned about the mood in the movie is also quite true. It accurately establishes a great atmosphere of dread and creepy-ness as any good thriller should.

Sheleigha wrote:
Key wrote:

I may change my mind on this when I get to see it properly and in long-anticipated dubbed form, but IIRC I had about a B-range impression of the movie on an A-to-F scale.


That's still pretty good! Most of these views seems to be more of a C-D scale. I wish people would rate a movie for a movie, and not "stuff that was left out that was in the manga".


Kruszer wrote:

I dunno' your personal tastes though and can't tell if you've seen similar stuff since you haven't enabled the My Anime button, so I can't accurately judge whether you personally would like it.


Oof, that would take way too long for me to work on^^ I have my list on MyAnimeList, but even then my tastes are so of... everywhere. When someone asks for recommendations (in general) the first I ask is "what things are you into?" but in this case, I already had an interest in what I saw. Plus, I'm in the mood for a sci-fi horror.


The only thing I can really compare it to off the top of my head is Blue Gener, only without the mecha. If you like King of Thorn I'd suggest giving that a shot too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha



Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 1461

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

Imho, if people were grading it in the C to D range then that was a tad too harsh. Some of the ideas and visuals save it for me and I would probably say its more in the B- range (C+ if I'm feeling particularly merciless). I think I'm a little more tough on grading things than others, so I can see if other viewers might rate it a solid B. I wouldn't agree with that grade, but I can see others giving it that. On the other hand, I think an A- is too high for this movie. But hey, that's just my opinion.


I mean, I don't expect to have my mind blown or anything by it. Still, I'm pretty generous when it comes to rating the anime I watch. I'm just pretty convinced they are ONLY scoring it so low because they are comparing it.



Kruszer wrote:

The only thing I can really compare it to off the top of my head is Blue Gener, only without the mecha. If you like King of Thorn I'd suggest giving that a shot too.


I remember seeing a trailer for it many years back and being interested. I should probably check it out sometime (after I get through my backlog...)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rhyono



Joined: 03 Dec 2011
Posts: 1039

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I have no knowledge of the manga, and I found it to be an enjoyable movie. I rated it as "Very Good." The twist was superb, but the pacing and lack of real character depth or development knocked it down a notch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Tamaria



Joined: 21 Oct 2007
Posts: 1471
Location: De Achterhoek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I mean, I don't expect to have my mind blown or anything by it. Still, I'm pretty generous when it comes to rating the anime I watch. I'm just pretty convinced they are ONLY scoring it so low because they are comparing it.


I think that's part of it, but it's not just because 'the manga was better'.

The movie basically rewrote the backstories of some major characters to the point that some of those characters didn't really make sense anymore. If you've read the manga, it's easier to notice.

Another letdown is that the movie re-uses the same monsters again and again. The manga is much more creative with monster design, so if you've read the manga, it stands out.

It's an entertaining movie nonetheless, in a popcorn flick kind of way. Good movie to watch with friends, even ones that aren't all that much into anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
Sheleigha



Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 1461

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Haven't had a chance to watch my copy yet, but I thought it would be worth the mention: This weekend ONLY, Funi is airing the dub of it here, for those who haven't seen it yet, or those who have contemplating over getting it.

Oh, and I decided to keep my copy. Things sound really good beyond the minority that said how it was sub-pay, and it sounds like something I'd enjoy. But as I said, no idea when I'll get the time to watch it (backlog'd) but one day...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kruszer
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 6818
Location: Minnesota, USA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Part of the problem is just that practically nobody has watched this due to how relatively obscure and new it is. It's in desperate need of word of mouth which hopefully it will get now that someone finally released it here.

Last edited by Kruszer on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 7889

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga whatsoever, and I still think it was only decent at best.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
errinundra
Enjoying the time of EVEEnjoying the time of EVE


Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2661
Location: Melbourne, Oz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I haven't read the manga whatsoever, and I still think it was only decent at best.


Why?

(Unlike the talkback boards, here in the anime forum people are expected to provide reasons for their opinions.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 7889

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to say, I wasn't fully engrossed in the feature while I watched it, I didn't particularly care for any of the characters, and I feel like I've seen this situation before. Perhaps I'll need to give it a rewatch, but I just wasn't impressed or floored, by it or totally turned off either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group