• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote
Not strictly on topic but i got this Blade of the immortal artbook in the post today

It was listed on ebay for a buy it now price of £20 and a bid price starting at 99p so i bid the 99p and wound up winning it at that price, its a really nice book it has alot of the covers from blade of the immortal and a bunch of pencil drawings too. i dont often get art books the only others i have are intron depot 1 that i got aaaaages ago cos im a shirow fan and one piece color walk 1 cos it was rare and One piece is my second favorite manga and i adore the artwork.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I just heard viz dropped jojo's bizzare adventure due to leagal issues.

any truth to that?
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Where did you hear that from? I suspect it'll be very difficult/impossible to hear that sort of thing directly from the horse's mouth... It could very well be a rumour.
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
I just heard viz dropped jojo's bizzare adventure due to leagal issues.

any truth to that?

It'd certainly be nice if someone else would then pick it up, as it's a great series, although I think Shueisha owns the license, and they rarely let anyone besides Viz handle their properties. It makes sense, since they own part of Viz and derive profit from their profit, but... grrrr.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I stuck a post on Facebook asking viz if they were doing anything for the 25 anniversary and lamenting not grabbing the manga and got this reply from a dude
Quote:

Patrick R. McKernan: Other than announcing a simulcast of the upcoming anime series, I don't think much else can be done. Viz had to drop the manga over legal issues with the bands that are the namesake of the various characters and Stands.

so yeah like you say nothing official. As far as i was aware they started a few volumes in to the manga and then got to a jumping off point instead of outright dropping it as i believe jojo's is a story told over various generations so at the end of a generation you could happily end it to be resurrected later.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand the problem also lies with Hirohiko Araki himself: the Vento Aureo PS2 game was only published in Japan because he didn't give his permission for the name changes: http://jjba.wikia.com/wiki/GioGio_no_Kimyō_na_Bōken:_Ōgon_no_Kaze

Viz only published part 3 of the manga, "Stardust Crusaders", but now that I have almost all of the volumes (only missing 1 and 6), I actually was surprised that it wasn't as heavily edited as I expected: I'm really glad they didn't change Vanilla Ice into something else (I always smile when they call him that), and the only change I don't like/actually notice is the Oingo Boingo brothers to Mondatta and Zenyatta.

If Viz had free rein to change the names I'm sure they would get around that issue, but I'm not sure what is Araki's current position since he did allow some changes in both Stardust Crusaders and in the Capcom game (I also don't know how it will be in All Star Battle but I hope it won't bring any delays to the release date in the West)...

The other problem - which is the main one - is that the sales weren't that great: it took something like 5 years to complete a 16 volume shonen series - and it's widely regarded as the most popular one... Later parts of Jojo (I'm thinking Steel Ball Run) could appeal to the seinen/ikki crowd, but they are a bit long and SBR involves collecting the corpse parts of Jesus Christ as a major plot point, so if they don't get in trouble with the bands there's always something else... Rolling Eyes
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
its the zoro/zolo crap all over again sigh

and yeah whats popular in japan wont equate over there, here or where you are. I mean i love some of the sports story manga but people wont touch em in America or here in the UK from the looks of it. FUNimation released oofuri on DVD and i jumped on it but they wont release the second series because the sales of the first were in the toilet.

Would love someone to take on the manga though, viz is doing cross game and im collecting that as its another great sports story, just wish someone had the balls to do hajime no ippo
osakaedo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Would love someone to take on the manga though, viz is doing cross game and im collecting that as its another great sports story, just wish someone had the balls to do hajime no ippo

Ippo takes more than balls.

That's a 100 volume series so the license alone starts at around half a million dollars (give or take a few $10,000 due to the exchange rate). Recouping those costs can be a frightening proposition.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
eh, a mil isn't as much as it used to be. round here that'd get like 4 houses lol.

I get it though huge series would be a huge investment hence the needing of the danglies.

It should have been picked up 10 years ago.

Oh while i got you all does anyone know which if any of the publishers is friendly with akita shoten? i notice tokyopop published a couple of the series they handle
osakaedo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:

Oh while i got you all does anyone know which if any of the publishers is friendly with akita shoten? i notice tokyopop published a couple of the series they handle

Yen Press. But they don't tap that root too often.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
Vertical Ed has explicity mentioned in the forum that they can't get anything from Akita Shoten, due to reasons which cannot be disclosed. I know Go Comi had quite a few things from them (RIP) and Tokyopop had a few as well. I'd say your best bet for anything from them is probably Yen or Seven Seas.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:12 am Reply with quote
yeah i remembered ed saying about em wich is why I was wondering who is in their favor.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
For Kentaro Miura's fans: it looks like the one-shot Japan, one of his early works, has gone out of print but is still easy to find at a very affordable price (I have just ordered a new copy for less than a euro, the shipping will actually be more expensive than the book itself), so get it while you can. His other one-shot available in english, King of Wolves, is still in print but you could also check it out while it's available, since they're both more obscure titles published by Dark Horse that probably don't sell that well to get a reprint in the first place...
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:30 am Reply with quote
on it, i hear king of wolves sucks but as a berserk fan it'd be more about having it in the collection
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
Scored some major finds in a sale that I went to on the weekend. I found these gems, among other things:

- Excel Saga Vol. 8
- Vol. 2-16 of Firefighter! Daigo of Fire Company M (a title that I started reading through the library and am getting really into as of late). A couple of those are getting up there on Amazon, especially Vol. 16!
- Saint Seiya Vol. 1-12. That knocks out Vol. 9. Only Vol. 16 is left that's OOP.
- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Vol. 2-5, 7-8. More of an impulse buy than anything. No Vol. 6.
- Mushishi Vol. 1
- Neon Genesis Evangelion Vol. 9 (!!)

And all of them were $2 each.

Last edited by Buster Blader 126 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 76