• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Boobs & Violence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
I know, which is why I said "OVAs and movies".

Whoops, somehow I missed that. Sorry ^^"

No worries, it's cool.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
...I didn't expect to see the "fanservice is the cancer that is killing the industry!" argument applied exclusively to comedies.

Different strokes for different folks. The comedy style I can't seem to find funny is the sort (ab)used by Arakawa and Seto no Hanayome* and such:

--allegedly-funny thing happens
--main character yells "THIS ALLEGEDLY FUNNY THING JUST HAPPENED!!"
--rinse and repeat

I do like fanservice comedies. And manzai-type routines. (And I recognize that the sort I just said I disliked is related to these.) I like the rapid-fire-absurdist (Excel Saga, Pani Poni Dash) style the most, though.

*-apologies to the fans if they don't stay like this. I couldn't get past the first episode or so.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote
Hahaha RAAM represent!!! Laughing
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:03 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Actually, they are literal. No-one but yourself is denying that Winry actually hit Ed with a wrench.

No one but me, well are't you full of yourself.

And no it isn't just me who thinks that. Perhaps anyone who understands comedy.

When Ed is hit by a wrench, the pain he feels is exaggerated and goes away a full panels later. Whereas when Ed is really injured in the manga, Arakawa details it, even if it is just a scratch, we see it in subsequent chapters.

But sure take Winry hitting Ed with a wrench literally.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:16 am Reply with quote
Did Winry cause the wrench to actually touch Ed, even for a brief moment? Yes, therefore she hit him with it. Therefore the scene is literal. Unless you're trying to argue that the Anime pulled a Dallas and it was all a dream?

And I do understand what slapstick Comedy is, even if I don't particularly like it. I understand that when a character gets slapped through a wall they might not be truly hurt, but they were still slapped in the first place.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
Dtm It seems you don't understand what literal and figurative means.

Just because something happens in the story, doesn't mean the audience should always take it literally. It doesn't have to be a dream (in fact that is a lazy writing method usually).

Whether something is meant to be taken literally or not depends on the context of the scene. And as I explained in my previous post there is a big difference between Winry hitting Ed with her wrench, and when Ed really gets injured in non-comic scenes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:37 am Reply with quote
I can't believe you are trying to argue this. I cannot believe we are having this conversation. I'm flabbergasted, truly flabbergasted.

Ed got hit by the wrench, end of story. He may have not been seriously hurt, or hurt at all. But whether he was hurt or not is besides the point; Winry still hit him with the wrench.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:59 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Winry still hit him with the wrench.

Clearly what I am saying is too difficult of a concept for you. I did not say it didn't happen, I said it should not be taken literally by the audience. As I said you obviously do not understand how this works in fiction.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I did not say it didn't happen, I said it should not be taken literally by the audience.

Since you're just pulling my leg at this point, I'm going to stop humouring you and go to sleep.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:15 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Since you're just pulling my leg at this point, I'm going to stop humouring you and go to sleep.

Good and you think about how when Winry hits Ed and he is in a pool of his own blood and his soul is leaving his body and then he is perfectly fine in a couple panels is literal too.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Winry still hit him with the wrench.

Clearly what I am saying is too difficult of a concept for you. I did not say it didn't happen, I said it should not be taken literally by the audience. As I said you obviously do not understand how this works in fiction.

Next you are going to be saying that when characters heads get larger and distorted when they get angry, we are supposed to take that "figuratively", as if someone's head doesn't really double in size when they get angry.
skullocrasher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Next you are going to be saying that when characters heads get larger and distorted when they get angry, we are supposed to take that "figuratively", as if someone's head doesn't really double in size when they get angry.

Yet again reinforcing the idea that inflating and distorting your head is socially acceptable so long as it's female on male.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Good and you think about how when Winry hits Ed and he is in a pool of his own blood and his soul is leaving his body and then he is perfectly fine in a couple panels is literal too.
I'm sorry, but you're being stupid. The scene isn't "figurative", it's comedic. The injury isn't permanent because it's playing by a different set of rules than dramatic scenes. Reinterpreting well-worn and understood dichotomies doesn't make you look smart.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's not "figurative vs. literal" it's "serious vs. comedic."

Winry hits Ed with a wrench. The act of hitting actually takes place. It is literal, but not serious.

If Winry said something particularly harsh, and Ed's reaction was shown as him getting hit by a wrench, that would be figurative since the wrench is symbolising the impact her words have on him.
blackmokona

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Hm, the fanservice question is obviously leading and the one asking it is obviously looking to have his opinion parroted back at him, why did Brian take it on? I notice that Brian spends little time actually answering the question and the rest just picking it apart.

Keeping in line with the thread, I *liked* that wrench gag.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4