• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riddley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
@Xanas

I can see where frustration might develop if people were constantly putting LN spoilers into posts without warning and tagging them as spoilers. However, as you rightfully point out, the post in context often denotes it being an LN spoiler if the text doesn't specifically do such.

Also, in my mind when someone uses a spoiler tag, it's a strong indication that you should not read it if you are all unsure about the content. It leaves the burden of responsibility on the reader.

I cannot stress enough the fact that while the thread does say TV, you cannot divorce the LNs (or mangas in the case of other anime) from the anime since they are the same story, just different formats. So as long as the discussion hinges around and focuses on the anime, I don't have a single problem with someone discussing the LN/manga in context.

Let me use an example. How many people read the HP books before the movies came out? It happens all the time that people have problems with items that the creators of the movies left out of the books or put in that wasn't in the books. It's a natural part of the discussion when you've got two medias telling the same story.

In all honesty, I find it ridiculous and ignorant to expect people not to highlight and discuss those comparisons when a thread discussing one of them.

I get that people don't necessarily want to be "spoilt" but their the ones clicking the tags and honestly, no one should be expected to take responsibility for that.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Wow 55 pages, it has actually surpassed the Madoka thread.

Yup I mentioned this around episode 7 at how many pages this thread is getting. It had around 28 pages so about 4 pages per episodes. But now it increased to 5.5 pages per episode lol.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Let me back off my point a little in fairness here. I am mainly referring to trying to always be very careful to tag "future" spoilers using the LN/manga material as a source, but I'm not so much against spoilers that are purely a point of comparison between the anime and original. I will admit that I don't really read manga or LNs and so due to that I'm never going to even know about the discussion unless those spoilers are here. I think they should get tagged for those who do read those manga/LNs, but I think they are almost always clear from the context when they are presented, so people just need to read the post before highlighting the tagged area.

I have read a few manga when the (comparison) spoilers were enough to draw me in, such as the Rurouni Kenshin manga and I'm trying to go through To Love Ru a bit due to skipping around that occurs in the anime versions.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Wow 55 pages, it has actually surpassed the Madoka thread.

Yup I mentioned this around episode 7 at how many pages this thread is getting. It had around 28 pages so about 4 pages per episodes. But now it increased to 5.5 pages per episode lol.
Only because Madoka didn't have an existing LN/VN/etc. for people to argue about.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Only because Madoka didn't have an existing LN/VN/etc. for people to argue about.

PMMM discussions were fun, because no-one knew what was going to happen next, so there was no chance of reading spoilers.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:14 am Reply with quote
Preview for the next episode "Yui's Heart".
Exaar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
I have not read the Light Novels, nor do I particularly want to be spoilered from them, as I prefer to find out what happens as it airs and not before, but:

Is anyone else concerned by Yui that she spoiler[might literally be exactly the same plot device as in .hack//SIGN? That is, a little girl who is an AI inserted by the game designer? As soon as I saw the OP with her floating amid screens and now this episode (no cursor, weird ability to manipulate the game, etc.) it's looking like that. I have no problem with these two series covering the same general ground (people (person in .hack) stuck in an MMO. But to lift what is a major plot point from .hack so directly would be a little, erm... lazy? I mean, .hack//SIGN is like 8 years old, the author of SAO had to have known what it was about. If this turns out to be exactly the same story device I'm going to bang my head into a table.]
4nBlue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:
I have not read the Light Novels, nor do I particularly want to be spoilered from them, as I prefer to find out what happens as it airs and not before, but:

Is anyone else concerned by Yui that she spoiler[might literally be exactly the same plot device as in .hack//SIGN? That is, a little girl who is an AI inserted by the game designer? As soon as I saw the OP with her floating amid screens and now this episode (no cursor, weird ability to manipulate the game, etc.) it's looking like that. I have no problem with these two series covering the same general ground (people (person in .hack) stuck in an MMO. But to lift what is a major plot point from .hack so directly would be a little, erm... lazy? I mean, .hack//SIGN is like 8 years old, the author of SAO had to have known what it was about. If this turns out to be exactly the same story device I'm going to bang my head into a table.]

Both .hack//Sign and Sword Art Online are from 2002. .hack//Sign started airing in April and Sword Art Online started being released online in November. Before the start of the online release Kawahara had written at least the first volume of SAO. I don't know when he started writing SAO, but that years Dengeki Novel Prize competition's deadline could give some kind of a hint, because he started writing SAO for it. Interestingly enough Baccano's first novel that I just finished reading was among the winners.

Last edited by 4nBlue on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm more curious about what circumstances could arise in the next episode which would warrant that very curious dual fighting pose that Kirito and Asuna make at the end of the Next Episode clip, as it seems rather impractical.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I like Asuna's pose at the end of the video. At first I was like "Oh dear, she's hiding behind him again", but then I looked closer. She has her left hand around Kirito's waist and her right hand is holding her sword in front of Kirito's swords. The two words that come to mind when I see her pose are "protective" and "complementary".

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Riddley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'm more curious about what circumstances could arise in the next episode which would warrant that very curious dual fighting pose that Kirito and Asuna make at the end of the Next Episode clip, as it seems rather impractical.

Your power of understatement doth exceed my own haha. Yeah things are getting heated now.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:

i don't remember. it has been too long.
spoiler[
I think Yui is an AI GM to support SOA game. Since they designer f up the game, he doesn't need her anymore. ]

Also, i don't think he steals the idea fro .hack. He probably written this before .hack is on TV.

.Hack's AI girl. spoiler[it Is not really an AI. it's a real person's mind/soul]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
Key wrote:

Your power of understatement doth exceed my own haha. Yeah things are getting heated now.

It seemed a little impractical to me as well. I get the sense that she is using him as a shield while still attempting to fight. I don't take it as her attempting to put him in danger or anything, but it may be some frightened instinct mixing with her desire to still fight. I suppose we shall see.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

spoiler[Yui really is a mystery.
Asuna & Kirito on a rescue mission.
Watching those two fight over toad legs was LOL
Looks like that mission was not a breeze at all.
At least we got to see what kind of powers Yui has.
It was just amazing!!
I was suspecting she'd be some kind of a program.
Looks like I was right. This totally reminds me of .hack// again.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Asuna's line spoiler["I won't be able to smile without you"] was fairly cringe-worthy, and Kirito having spoiler['l33t h4ck3r sk1llz'] was a bit far-fetched. But yeah, overall that wasn't a bad episode. Yui's origin was actually a lot more sensible than I feared it would be. Though I do notice her explanation didn't cover how she was able to break out of her confines.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 56 of 274