Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Boobs & Violence


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Shay Guy



Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 464

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
Changing continents for the sake of generalizing an argument, I'd say that when Elmer blasts Daffy's beak off, that's literal. It's also slapstick. It's just that manga has a tradition of mixing slapstick and serious drama in the same series, going back to at least Tezuka.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Polycell
Thread KillerThread Killer


Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 3239

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
One review I read of Lunatic Unleashed actually leveled that as a criticism against the series - the reviewer claimed the Loony Tunes slapstick made it hard to take the mortal peril seriously.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Otaking09



Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 614

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Usually, I prefer surreal comedies like Excel Saga, School Rumble, Brigadoon, FLCL, Cap. Tylor - troll comedies; that way I always have my brain turned off and never have to wonder what to take too seriously since everything gets casseroled together.

Considering that FMA is one of the very few shonens that take its premise and direction seriously (without compromising its own thematic foundation), yes, comedy moments like Winry's Wrench are pinches, but Brain pretty much said it that they serve as tension cushions. I, myself, just see them as "anime typical" extensions of their personalities (but without the ham factor exceeding to over 9000 = most cheap-shot ecchi comedies are nowadays). Honestly, Brotherhood's attempt at humor always kinda paled in-comparison the 1st series...
Brotherhood feels like Hideo Kojima jokes but with much less polish and wit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 1778

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

I'm sorry, but you're being stupid. The scene isn't "figurative", it's comedic. The injury isn't permanent because it's playing by a different set of rules than dramatic scenes. Reinterpreting well-worn and understood dichotomies doesn't make you look smart.


I wasn't trying to "look smart" or get in an argument. If you read my initial post I only initially brought it up because people act like this means "Winry abuses Ed".

The scene is comedic because we are not supposed to take it literally. Yes in a comic way Winry really hits Ed with a wrench, but the action is more a representation of her feelings. It's exaggerated.

I also brought up Nodame Cantabile where Chiaki hits Nodame so hard she flies across the room at certain points (purposely because people think it is only girls doing it to guys in anime). Is Chiaki really abusing Nodame and it's okay because it is just the difference between comedy & drama?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Polycell
Thread KillerThread Killer


Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 3239

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
And you completely ignore all the evidence indicating you're wrong. It's not "a representation of her feelings", it's a gag. Gags play by different rules, no metatextual analysis needed.

And yes, you can criticize the abuse on the grounds it's abuse and shouldn't be made light of. Again, your attempts to reinterpret a simple comedic/dramatic dichotomy don't do you any favors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maidenoftheredhand



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 1778

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:34 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
And you completely ignore all the evidence indicating you're wrong. It's not "a representation of her feelings", it's a gag. Gags play by different rules, no metatextual analysis needed.


Yes it's a gag, it's also not literal. There are many different types of comedy.

And yes it is a representation of her feelings. She is so upset that he hurt himself again she beats him to an inch of his life. In this context that sentence is not literal it is an exaggeration, we just see it visually.

Quote:
And yes, you can criticize the abuse on the grounds it's abuse and shouldn't be made light of. Again, your attempts to reinterpret a simple comedic/dramatic dichotomy don't do you any favors.


Lol I am not reinterpreting it or even trying to make it complicated. If you want to say "abuse as a gag is not funny" that is one thing. However I am saying "Winry & Chiaki are not really being abusive." These are two very different statements & they don't actually contradict each other.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ingraman



Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 927

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hahaha RAAM represent!!! :lol:

rec.arts.anime.misc?

Well, yes or no, I can't tell which post you're responding to, which is one of the failings of ANN's version of the forum software... Or have I overlooked the option to enable threading?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 10328

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Hahaha RAAM represent!!! Laughing

rec.arts.anime.misc?

Well, yes or no, I can't tell which post you're responding to, which is one of the failings of ANN's version of the forum software... Or have I overlooked the option to enable threading?


Unfortunately, this forum has no threading. How I miss threading!

Hey, Answerman! wrote:

Up until that point, my interactions with fellow VHS fansub traders was pretty much the stereotype - some guy who may or may not have a ponytail AND male pattern baldness and a faded Lum t-shirt, arguing with me on rec.arts.anime.misc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ingraman



Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 927

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
Well, yes or no, I can't tell which post you're responding to, which is one of the failings of ANN's version of the forum software... Or have I overlooked the option to enable threading?


Unfortunately, this forum has no threading. How I miss threading!

Threading works so well over at AoD and FP and keeps things organized (not that I read either forum in threaded mode, but just having subject lines used makes a huge difference when discussing specific TV episodes of a series). The disorganized mess is one reason why I rarely bother with the TV series discussions here at ANN. I keep thinking that ANN uses some variation of the same software, but maybe all webforum software just looks the same.

Quote:
Hey, Answerman! wrote:

Up until that point, my interactions with fellow VHS fansub traders was pretty much the stereotype - some guy who may or may not have a ponytail AND male pattern baldness and a faded Lum t-shirt, arguing with me on rec.arts.anime.misc.

Ah... I'd overlooked that. I spent many years on rec.arts.anime, r.a.a.misc, and a few other related and non-related newsgroups. Usenet was fun.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 10 Feb 2003
Posts: 1598

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Brian Hanson wrote:
I remember in the VHS fansub days, there was one guy I traded with - whose name escapes me now, sadly - whose website, with all his tapes available for trade, also displayed his other interests: namely, baseball, and game shows.

That reminds me of one of the biggest fans of all, Hitoshi Doi, who is a Japanese (minor league?) pitcher.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group