• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kamisama Kiss Shōjo TV Anime's Promo Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
Lota wrote:

Well, yeah, if we look at this seriously, this is a rather huge risk the anime studios are taking this autumn: 3 shoujos! If people don't watch and/or buy, I guess we won't be seeing another shoujo adapted for a looooong time.

for some reason, I think this is what will really happen. I mean, in the recent years even good ones like LovCom did horribly.

And regarding Kimi ni Todoke which is regarded as successful....can someone clarify this? I think at that time it was selling...umm...500k copies? So can you imagine...OUT of those 500k people who bought the manga...only 9k of people bought the anime. look at that....

Lota wrote:
But, if this little experiment is successful, we will be seeing more. Is it worth the risk? Hell yeah! Sukitte Ii Na Yo, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Kamisama Hajimemashita — all 3 are lovely choices for adaptation. While I'm not too fond of the first one, the other two I really love. And I guess that people will come to love the MC's and shoujo in general — it's not always mushy and full of cliches (if you want that, you can find some each and every season).

There it is. The big 'IF'. IF it is successful. I agree. All three are lovely choices...but I am more worried about KamiKiss than the other two for a main reason: I think the manga doesn't even sell ....50k for each volume in Japan. that isn't much.

but you know every single day I am praying to God that these anime will be successful. You know, even if the anime doesn't do well, if the manga sales jump by like 50k...then its good. But I don't see a chance of that happening either....I'm not too hopeful. >~<

Lota wrote:
Besides, I know many who loved Kare Kano, Glass Mask, Kimi ni Todoke, Skip Beat, Lovely Complex and others. Let's just hope that these 3 new anime bring the genre to life once again! Smile

Kimi ni Todoke I already explained. Kare Kano and Glass Mask are part of the golden age when girls bought and loved shoujo anime...those days are gone now. they only prefer their manga.

Regarding SKip Beat and Love Com, I don't think Skip beat sold well and LovCom was one of the failures of the year. :/
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
And regarding Kimi ni Todoke which is regarded as successful....can someone clarify this? I think at that time it was selling...umm...500k copies? So can you imagine...OUT of those 500k people who bought the manga...only 9k of people bought the anime. look at that....

I've actually thought the same thing before. I think that Kimi ni Todoke was one of the best selling manga in Japan at the time that the anime came out, and it still didn't really set the world on fire. (NANA was another humungous bestselling shoujo juggernaut as a manga, and it might be worthwhile to look into how that anime did.) That doesn't really bode well for non-wildly-popular shoujo manga adaptations. Which breaks my little heart because I love shoujo stuff and want to see it get made all the time!! Otome game adaptations and off-brand shounen stuff for fujoshi are okay, but it's just not the same! A bloo bloo bloo...
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:

for some reason, I think this is what will really happen. I mean, in the recent years even good ones like LovCom did horribly.

That is because manga costs significantly less than anime.
So a completely new audience was formed for mangas and for anime.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

That is because manga costs significantly less than anime.
So a completely new audience was formed for mangas and for anime.

which really sucks for us non japanese shoujo fans....I mean, I know I shouldn't whine but....look at light novel anime! sure, they're not a surefire hit everytime but stuff like oreimo, or haganai or DxD....

for some reason the LN fans have more money than shoujo manga fans it seems...

Myaow wrote:

I've actually thought the same thing before. I think that Kimi ni Todoke was one of the best selling manga in Japan at the time that the anime came out, and it still didn't really set the world on fire. (NANA was another humungous bestselling shoujo juggernaut as a manga, and it might be worthwhile to look into how that anime did.) That doesn't really bode well for non-wildly-popular shoujo manga adaptations. Which breaks my little heart because I love shoujo stuff and want to see it get made all the time!! Otome game adaptations and off-brand shounen stuff for fujoshi are okay, but it's just not the same! A bloo bloo bloo...

I am just like you...I mean, I like kuroko no basuke and hakuouki but its NOT THE SAME! T__T
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Lota wrote:

Well, yeah, if we look at this seriously, this is a rather huge risk the anime studios are taking this autumn: 3 shoujos! If people don't watch and/or buy, I guess we won't be seeing another shoujo adapted for a looooong time.

I wouldn't be worried about that at all. You've noticed we've always, and I am constantly throughout the seasons each year, had shoujo shows--or in general shows targeting females--and a few do well, the others sell poorly.

If we apply that thinking to other shows, we wouldn't have any anime at all. That's because every genre sells poorly. Every. Single. One. Including everyone's favorite bashing toy "moe" (and fanservice shows and whatever) It's only a handful of titles within each genre that sells well.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Lota wrote:

I wouldn't be worried about that at all. You've noticed we've always, and I am constantly throughout the seasons each year, had shoujo shows--or in general shows targeting females--and a few do well, the others sell poorly.

If we apply that thinking to other shows, we wouldn't have any anime at all. That's because every genre sells poorly. Every. Single. One. Including everyone's favorite bashing toy "moe" (and fanservice shows and whatever) It's only a handful of titles within each genre that sells well.

configspace is making good points. As long as one of these shows has decent sales and/or increases manga sales, they will make more. Look at Chihayafuru. The DVDs sold poorly, but the anime really increased manga sales. Now it's getting a second season.

I'm just excited that these shows are actual manga adaptations instead of otome game titles like Hiro no Kakera and La storia della Arcana Famiglia. Three new shows that might have an actual plot and decently developed characters is something to look forward to, IMO!
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
well I hope you guys are right. :/ I really want at least one of em to do well. >~<

Well, to be honest my favorite out of all these is kamisama kiss.
I like the others too but this is my fave.

but if the other two(kaibutsu and suki) are successful, I'd like to see an adaptation of Hana ni Kedamono. That manga is 7 volumes long as of now and each volume noted an increase in sales and currently the latest volume sold nearly 80k.

And if Kamisama is successful, I wanna see an adaption of Akatsuki no Yona.

Oh look at me, thinking ahead already....but really, I'm so desperate its pitiful lol.

Embarassed Embarassed
icetea00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Hmm, reminds me somewhat of Inu x Boku SS a bit with a more badass main male protagonist.

Nooooooooooooo. Inu x Boku SS is a wonderful manga, one of the best I've read.

But this one is just an average cutesy shoujo manga obviously for a younger audience (mostly girls 8-14 I guess). I don't expect too much from it.

I really hope people won't constantly compare the two when this Kami-something is airing. They are very different.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote
icetea00 wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Hmm, reminds me somewhat of Inu x Boku SS a bit with a more badass main male protagonist.

Nooooooooooooo. Inu x Boku SS is a wonderful manga, one of the best I've read.

But this one is just an average cutesy shoujo manga obviously for a younger audience (mostly girls 8-14 I guess). I don't expect too much from it.

I really hope people won't constantly compare the two when this Kami-something is airing. They are very different.

Your both wrong. Kamisama has a ton of Shinto folklore throughout the story. It's interesting stuff. I'm hoping the anime includes all of it. If anything, it has a similar atmosphere to Natsume's Book of Friends. It also seems to be very thoughtful about how it approaches the romance, since both parties understand how spoiler[ill advised it would be to do that ---seeing as one of the partners is immortal and the other is not.]
icetea00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

Your both wrong. Kamisama has a ton of Shinto folklore throughout the story. It's interesting stuff. I'm hoping the anime includes all of it. If anything, it has a similar atmosphere to Natsume's Book of Friends. It also seems to be very thoughtful about how it approaches the romance, since both parties understand how spoiler[ill advised it would be to do that ---seeing as one of the partners is immortal and the other is not.]

The manga is already exitsing for a while and I know what's in it. Sorry fan, it's not my cup of tea. That's why I don't expect much from it. Enjoy whatever you like this fall. I don't care for those shoujo titles and I have a lot others to watch or I can just leave the anime fandom without any loss given the current situation.

If anyone is interested, they can read the manga and decide by themselves. It's a pretty average shoujo manga that I can't get into. For the record, I am not usually a shoujo fan.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
icetea00 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

The manga is already exitsing for a while and I know what's in it. Sorry fan, it's not my cup of tea. That's why I don't expect much from it. Enjoy whatever you like this fall. I don't care for those shoujo titles and I have a lot others to watch or I can just leave the anime fandom without any loss given the current situation.

If anyone is interested, they can read the manga and decide by themselves. It's a pretty average shoujo manga that I can't get into. For the record, I am not usually a shoujo fan.

Since you are not a shoujo fan, I can't help but wonder why you would bother commenting so vehemently about each shojuo anime?

I'm not a fan of ecchi fanservice, so I just ignore the articles about them. I figure I have better things to do with my time than go on the threads about those shows and add extra buzz and discussion to something I don't care for. It's not like I can make them not exist or anything... Confused Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2