• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Texhnolyze DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Raikuro wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
all three Abe TV series!

Lain
Haibane Renmei
Texhnolyze
NieA_7

All three American licensed Abe TV series. Wink

Well actually NieA_7 was licensed as well, but good luck getting a copy these days.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
Did ABe's really created, Serial Experiments Lain? It said in the anime he only did the character design. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshitoshi_ABe#Anime

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Experiments_Lain
Serial Experiments Lain is an anime series directed by Ryutaro Nakamura, original character design by Yoshitoshi ABe, screenplay written by Chiaki J. Konaka, and produced by Yasuyuki Ueda (credited as production 2nd) for Triangle Staff.

The very same with Texhnolyze.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texhnolyze
Texhnolyze (テクノライズ Tekunoraizu?) is a Japanese animated television series directed by Hiroshi Hamazaki, from a screenplay by Chiaki Konaka, and produced by Yasuyuki Ueda, with original character design by Yoshitoshi ABe

He only did the character design and that's it.

The only work that is truly his (and he needs to create more) are Haibane Renmei and NieA_7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NieA_7
"NieA_7 is based on a doujinshi by graphic designer Yoshitoshi ABe"
Bonham

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
So a study shows that "[r]esearchers found that watching a tragedy movie caused people to think about their own close relationships, which in turn boosted their life happiness. The result was that what seems like a negative experience – watching a sad story – made people happier by bringing attention to some positive aspects in their own lives."

This might answer an earlier question as to why people like to watch and read dark, tragic stories.

Yanqui U.X.O. wrote:
Every group ideology in the show fails: the ego-driven Organo, the anarchistic Racan, the collectivism of the Union, and the fatalism of Gabe.

Don't forget spoiler[the nostalgia-driven, ghost-like Theonormals. Their world is practically a virtual projection -- that much is clear when Saginuma appears not as the vanishing girl with a ball that Ichise et. al first notice, but rather an old man with orthotics. The attempts at texhnolyzation and mining of raffia is for them... even though they've long given up on it, and so Lux continues its purpose on a mere formality. (God, how's that for dark?) Of course, the reprieve from violence is attractive for Ichise when he considers Ran's situation, but those are the surface are really living in the twilight of humanity -- there's not much of a future there, so they escape into idealized images of the past.

Ichise goes against all that, and so it's fitting that he seems to be the one at greatest peace with himself by the end, despite not saving Ran. The most seemingly indifferent character at the beginning becomes the most human by the end.]

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
So far, Texhnolyze seems hell-bent to destroy itself from the inside out. Like some form of disease cause by it's own mistreatment which goes back to the idea of the "body". If the mind or soul isn't in check, the body will react violently sort of like a person who enjoys taking power but doesn't consider the consequences or the well-being of its own people.

This is an interesting observation, particularly when you consider the parallels with what happens later in the series. One of the episodes is titled "Encephalopathy," which ties in nicely with a certain character, as well as what you just proposed.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
B-503_MIA wrote:
Excellent review, hard to top that, puts into words the way I felt about this series...

Among bleak anime like Casshern Sins, Ergo Proxy, N&T, H&T - Texhnolyze takes it to a higher (lower?) level. No rays of light or hope exist in Lux, if there's even a glimmer it is snuffed out by overwhelming & inescapable despair...

I recently posted a tweet about Casshern Sins -
"This show is so bleak I keep expecting Re-l Mayer & Ichise to show up..."

Well done...

But Cashern Sins is a good series, despite the feel make you want to cry some of the times. hopefully the ending isnt as bleak.

though this series have it's erie moments, nothing cant compared to the massive bleakness that Lain, and especially Paranoia Agent did. and watching all three might make some people feel so depressing its scary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I loved that anime!!! Especially the dark shady atmosphere and story line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3