• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
K (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote

K

Plot Summary: Ashinaka High School is known for its unique setting: the entire campus is built on an island. Yashiro Isana, aka Shiro, is having lunch with a cat on one of the school rooftops. After his lunch break, Shiro goes on an errand for his classmate Kukuri to prepare for their upcoming school festival, only to be chased by some intimidating-looking men.

After watching the PV for it (can be viewed on the official site), I'm going to guess it's Yaoi. The action looks nice...but those guys sure do enjoy getting close to each other.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I don't think it's really going to be Yaoi... depending on how you define that term at least. It wouldn't at all surprise me if there is some subtext (or more than that) between some of the characters, but I don't think that's going to be a major focus of the show, or involve the majority of the male cast. If that is the case, though, it would certainly make the current discussion of the show in the spotlight thread amusing.

Based on what I've seen and read so far, I'm having a really hard time telling just what precisely the show is. I'm definitely curious about it a little, but I don't have super high hopes yet, as something about the spotlight made the show seem... off to me somehow.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there's probably not going to be any Yaoi in this, it would scare off too many fans. There might be sub-text though; that's all Fujoshi need to strap on their goggles and get to work.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
It looks like it may be around the extent of togainu no chi from the first PV. I watched an extended PV that I acquired elsewhere and it seemed more normal.

It looks like slice-of-life mixed with action. The way the longer PV portrayed things made it seem as though there are multiple factions to the city and they are in conflict, albeit it looked half-hearted at best. According to Chrome: "hearted" isn't a word; I won't fall for its lies.

Found this gem:

DOTA 2 wrote:
really, naming an anime with just a vowel, this is terrible for searching/buying things of it, there are millions of letter k everywhere none related to the anime

The "vowel" remark aside: I searched "K anime" and found it in 10 seconds.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
I doubt this will be or any have yaoi themes in it although it reminds me of DRRR.

Still, looking forward to it of course.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
the PV fight scenes make glasses guy look like he fights everyone and barely breaks a sweat doing it. I'm not holding out much hope on this one. the kid using a skateboard to fight a swordsman and not getting killed simply screams "lame" fight scenes.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Okay, while on Tumblr, don't judge me, my Dash had a blog post titled "First 11 minutes of Project-K Ep. 1".

I clicked on it and it took me to this Fan Wiki (Moderators, feel free to take it down if this violate the Rules) where, obviously, someone at the premiere wrote the first half of "Knight". I'll let you guys look at it yourself.

While searching, I came across Neko's profile spoiler[and, luckily(?) she actually is the cat Yashiro found. Quite possibly, meaning that she plays a major role other than simple fanservice....hopefully.]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Okay I had no idea what was going on but I liked the first episode. It gives off a big Durarara vibe except the main guy doesn't seem weak minded. Also I liked how the robot said spoiler["You are too kind" to the naked girl who I assume is the cat with the main guy].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sold on this one. I'm going to give it another eppie or so, but there's a ton of shows on my watch list and I'm going to be fairly brutal with anything that doesn't jell with me relatively quickly.

Hear me, K(-Y Jelly?)

One of the things that bugged me was that trying to make the bishonen look cool really reeked of effort. Instead of showing that they are cool, the animation, camera angles and blocking grabbed me by the lapels and screamed in my face, "these guys are cool, right??? Dontcha think they're cool??? Yeah, they're totally cool!!!" Piss off, mate.

Plus the whole introduction to our fey little protagonist was dull and charmless, imo.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah...things got a little awkward when the guy spoiler[pulled him in and he blushed.] I expected such things from this show, though. I'm neutral on this one so far, which is to say I'm enjoying it far more than a lot of things recently.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
This show is so pretentious with its animation but it works for me. Unfortunately, there's a little bit too much going on so I have to put extra effort into making a cohesive piece out of the show thus far. Anyhow, I know that we won't get answers from the first episode immediately so I'll stick with the show. I think the show has a lot to offer with its VA cast and great animation. I'm pretty excited for what's to come. Oh, the cat's looking purrty feline, if you ask me.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh, what's that I hear?
Why it's a song!
A song that expresses my feelings for K~

Yup. This show's gonna tank: plain characters, too much emphasis on visuals, hilariously bad English & hip hop flavor, and I have no idea why/how Neko transformed from a girl into a cat.
But I'm so going to enjoy this!

Quote:
Yeah...things got a little awkward when the guy spoiler[pulled him in and he blushed. ] I expected such things from this show, though.

And hopefully there will be more "awkward moments" between Yashiro & Kuroh. Wink spoiler[Even if there aren't, Pivix and Tumblr shall provide my fix.]
Wrathful

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
It sounds like anime you'd watch with your friends when you're drunk just how bad it is.

It is shame 2012 is when another new trend pops up where the production team spends all in pretty graphics and no thoughts given to the plot or the characters.

Otherwise this year would have good rather a good year for anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 am Reply with quote
Here's a great post from ikillchicken in the fall preview thread that definitely belongs here:

ikillchicken wrote:
I'm watching K as I type this.

And the award for most gratuitous use of Engrish goes to... Laughing

EDIT: What. The. fudge!? I was watching a bunch of impossibly handsome gangsters who moved only via the slow motion strut and they were fighting a bunch of equally handsome dandies in uniform. It was like Grease with superpowers which was stupid in a way that was hilarious and just a little awesome. Now I'm watching a bunch of BULLSHIT boring high school, slice of life crap that I've seen a million times before and don't give even the most microscopic of craps about. BOO!

EDIT 2: It's cool! The cast of grease has returned! All is well.

EDIT 3: I choose to believe that this blonde individual is actually not psychic but can simply conjure fire with the sheer power of his fabulous neckerchief.

EDIT 4: Okay...so...am I the only one perplexed by the five seconds of random naked girl just running about their school for absolutely no reason whatsoever and this girl being literally never referenced again in this episode?

EDIT 5: THE CAT! SHE'S THE CAT! It just hit me. Now I totally get it except I don't because that makes even less sense.

EDIT 6: If you were to create a special "learning" computer program and then you showed it thousands of anime and then, you took that program and you gave it the ability to communicate and then you told it to write an anime...you would get K. In fact. I'm not sure there is any other way you could get K. So yeah. Congratualtions GoHands on your radical (if unsuccessful) attempt at advancing the field of artificial intelligence.

EDIT 7: You know...I'm pretty certain that I actually enjoyed what I just watched. What I can't for the life of me decide is the manner in which I enjoyed it. Did I just enjoy mocking it? Well yes but was that all? Or did it transcend its own stupidity and become genuinely fun? I just don't know anymore.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:51 am Reply with quote
I find the music, atmosphere and style a really refreshing change of pace from what I've been watching the past year or so.

I'm looking forward to some really good fight scenes and good use of the good animation.

I also love it when anime has English speakers in it. Eden of the East is the best at this and now there's this. "You punks from Homura?!"

This is for-sure a show I'm keeping up with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16