• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grave of the Fireflies Blu-ray to feature new English dub.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
I'm not to familiar with some directors' names, so have to ask, who is this Foster guy? Will admit I've never seen the old Grave of the Fireflies dub, but that's because I don't like depressing stuff.

I think this tells you all you need to know.

I hope they don't take that route with the material. It would be totally out of place.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Doing a jokey dub of children dying would make you seem like a massive prick, so I doubt they're screw around on this one.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Doing a jokey dub of children dying would make you seem like a massive prick...

So right up Foster's alley then?

Damn.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Doing a jokey dub of children dying would make you seem like a massive prick, so I doubt they're screw around on this one.
I'm not worried about a jokey dub, I'm worried about a "reinterpretation" of the script. Foster has been known to change lines enough that the meaning of the scene shifts. And that's in his non-parody, non-comedy projects.

Part of me kinda wants Foster to completely screw this up so badly we'll be rid of him.
noigeL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Doing a jokey dub of children dying would make you seem like a massive prick...

So right up Foster's alley then?

Damn.

My opinion of the man has gone down, up, down and sideways but I'd be downright shocked if he had the stones or even the desire to not treat Fireflies with respect. If Foster brings his A-game and an age-appropriate actor is cast as Setsuko, this new dub could turn out quite good.

I'm much more worried about the latter than the former.
Liete87

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Why re-dub this anime? It doesn't need it the original was great.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say the CPM dub of Grave of the Fireflies was anything spectacular, although it definitely wasn't all that bad. Setsuko's VA in that dub was very ineffective though.

As for Steven Foster, given his track record, I too am somewhat suspicious of him. That said, I am not going to go out of my way and prepare to slamdunk it beforehand. Hopefully he'll do a great job with it. But the other Ghibli dubs have all been skillfully executed by Disney, that it would almost be a miracle if Foster could match up to them (which I doubt he would).

That said, I do agree that Foster IS a rather overused ADR director. I miss the folks at Monster Island; they had a very interesting selection of actors and directors. I loved their dub of Nadia partially on account of the casting of the children. It would be great if they got an actress the correct ages to play Seita and Setsuko. (And in this film, it's crucial that they sound age appropriate; in Castle in the Sky they kids DID sound a bit older, but it is not a big deal because neither character's ages are tracked down. In Grave, however, Seita and Setsuko are OBVIOUSLY children, so there isn't as much room for looseness.)
thegoanna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:45 am Reply with quote
Well I am pleased one way or the other, as a full on Ghibli fan I am always happy when any Ghibli films are to get a decent world release, I only ever saw the subbed version of Fireflies.

For many years you only heard of Spirited Away and Howl, the rest were niche movies to be found on some rather dubious collection series.

Only the more serious anime fan found the early material such as Monoke, Only yesterday, Laputa and whisper of the heart and my favorites Nausicaa and Kiki.

Many of these have now been officially dubbed, and subbed, and also finding their way to Bluray. Many of these are also now 20+ years old, and I must say still gold! The more that are updated with official dubs and subs the better Smile The new generation will get to see what the Japanese have been "hiding" for so many years.

I myself have just purchase the Up on poppy hill DVD, (Subbed) This movie has a great fan rating in Japan apparently. Very sure Ill love it!

Cheers Anime Fans Smile
noigeL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Seita: Adam Gibbs
Setsuko: Emily Neves
Aunt: Marcy Bannor
Mother: Shelly Calene-Black

Additional Voices:
Lucy Christian
Justin Doran
Susan Koozin
David Matranga
Rob Mungle
Sam Roman
Blake Shepard
David Wald

Sounds considerably more nuanced than the CPM dub from I sampled. There is, of course, no re-writing to be found. Not that I expected there would be, but obviously there were some posters who expected Stephen Foster to add inappropriate humour to the re-dub. Some people just try too hard. Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately, Setsuko is still a problem. Emily Neves is better in the role than Rhoda Chrosite but it's still obvious that she's an adult imitating a child. I feel Setsuko needs to be played by a child in order for the audience to get the full effect of her characterization. Because of this, I'll probably continue to just stick with the subtitled version.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Is the new re-dub out yet?
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Is the new re-dub out yet?
Since November.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Makes me glad I bought the DVD while FYE was still in business, it kind of sucks because that was one of Veronica Taylors first acting gigs in the anime industry. It should be kept that way for the reason and that reason alone, because that was an introduction to one of the most well known VA's in American dubbing history.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Makes me glad I bought the DVD while FYE was still in business, it kind of sucks because that was one of Veronica Taylors first acting gigs in the anime industry. It should be kept that way for the reason and that reason alone, because that was an introduction to one of the most well known VA's in American dubbing history.
If you're insinuating that the new BD lacks the original English dub, that is incorrect:
Quote:
Grave of the Fireflies features three audio options, all delivered via DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 mixes. There's a newly recorded English track, the original Japanese track, as well as the original 1988 English audio track.
ladyjaye

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:
Seita: Adam Gibbs
Setsuko: Emily Neves
Aunt: Marcy Bannor
Mother: Shelly Calene-Black

Additional Voices:
Lucy Christian
Justin Doran
Susan Koozin
David Matranga
Rob Mungle
Sam Roman
Blake Shepard
David Wald

Sounds considerably more nuanced than the CPM dub from I sampled. There is, of course, no re-writing to be found. Not that I expected there would be, but obviously there were some posters who expected Stephen Foster to add inappropriate humour to the re-dub. Some people just try too hard. Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately, Setsuko is still a problem. Emily Neves is better in the role than Rhoda Chrosite but it's still obvious that she's an adult imitating a child. I feel Setsuko needs to be played by a child in order for the audience to get the full effect of her characterization. Because of this, I'll probably continue to just stick with the subtitled version.

So you think a two-year-old could jump in the booth and know how to act? Keep dreaming. Also, I heard thy auditioned kids around the age of ten, but none of them sounded as young as Neves.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
^
The Japanese casted a five-year-old girl as the four-year-old Setsuko, and she was very genuine and natural (as children are at that age). So it isn't impossible to cast children in the roles of children.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4