• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Haganai Season's Title, Staff Changes, Key Visual Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I still subscribe to the idea that filler is meant to fill time so an anime doesn't catch up to the manga its adapting, that generally happens only with neverendan shounan fightan anime. Or it happens with good positive in Gintama. Just because a high school romp show has some pool episodes doesn't mean it's filling time; were those scenes in the original novels/manga or not?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I still subscribe to the idea that filler is meant to fill time so an anime doesn't catch up to the manga its adapting, that generally happens only with neverendan shounan fightan anime. Or it happens with good positive in Gintama. Just because a high school romp show has some pool episodes doesn't mean it's filling time; were those scenes in the original novels/manga or not?

Those scenes were part of the original novel, so its not filler. A lot of people who dislike these types of shows seem to think that any part that has character interactions or stuff that isn't part of an "overall story" is filler, which is silly. For shows like this, its the MEAT of the experience.. they're not trying to have some epic story or whatever, so you're watching for the character interactions.
aereus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
I don't like the alteration to the character designs. Sena looks ... odd. More generic.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
I don't like the alteration to the character designs. Sena looks ... odd. More generic.

You're right, the characters have lost their distinctive designs. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, but they've definitely become more generic.
aereus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
With the same studio responsible for it as well, you wonder why with the change in art directors, he wouldn't just keep the identical designs? Especially since they were so good?
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:55 am Reply with quote
*labor*cough*costs*cough*
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:20 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Those scenes were part of the original novel, so its not filler. A lot of people who dislike these types of shows seem to think that any part that has character interactions or stuff that isn't part of an "overall story" is filler, which is silly. For shows like this, its the MEAT of the experience.. they're not trying to have some epic story or whatever, so you're watching for the character interactions.

If we're talking about what's silly here, I find it silly that if someone had any criticism for a show like this, you automatically assume that person instead wants "epic story or whatever".
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
With the same studio responsible for it as well, you wonder why with the change in art directors, he wouldn't just keep the identical designs? Especially since they were so good?

The art director is responsible for the backgrounds, not the characters. The character designer is still the same person, Yoshihiro Watanabe.
aereus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
aereus wrote:

The art director is responsible for the backgrounds, not the characters. The character designer is still the same person, Yoshihiro Watanabe.

Then why do the character designs look a bit different? Very odd. I guess we'll see what it looks like when actually animated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2