• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III Gets New Anime Special in November

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Yawn. Sounds like your standard Lupin III TV Special plot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Didn't they already make a Lupin story about a missing page of a historically important book?
E-Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's hard to tell if this will be really great or just another ok TV special for Lupin. Up to this point my favorite Lupin TV specials in my opnion are: Goodbye Lady Liberty, Hemingway Papers, From Russia with Love, Voyage to Danger, Pursuit of Harimo's Treasure, The Secret of Twilight Gemini, Crisis in Tokyo, Missed by a Dollar, Alcatraz Connection, Episode 0: First Contact, Return the Treasure, Stolen Lupin, & Lupin Vs. Conan.

Quote:
Didn't they already make a Lupin story about a missing page of a historically important book?

I think so, I recalled Farewell to Nostradamus involving Lupin & his gang trying to obtain the original prophecies book of Nostradamus, while the third TV sepcial involved Napoleon's dictionary, and Hemingway Papers involed the newly discovered last novel by Ernest Hemingway. There's probably some other book related Lupin plots, but I can't think of any at the moment unless someone can point out other plots I didn't mention.
The American Average

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
just 2 things: 1) plot sounds/reminds me of Uncharted 2. 2) is this gonna any good, cause that recent lupin left a bad after taste.

from the sound of it though its sounds like a lupin plot yay
Gozar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I'll take anything over that horrific jumbling of every modern day Anime trope that had the audacity to call itself a Lupin product. I of course refer to "Fujiko Mine".
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Gozar wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I'll take anything over that horrific jumbling of every modern day Anime trope that had the audacity to call itself a Lupin product. I of course refer to "Fujiko Mine".

Uh, you mean the best Lupin III related thing to come out in a decade and one of the best anime in years?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
For a second I was half-hoping that they'd be using those amazing Koike designs for this! On second thought though, it's good to balance out the radical off-the-wall nature of this year's TV series with a more familiar and comfortable offering. (Much as I was totally twitterpated over "Fujiko"!)

Yay Lupin!
Zump

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess they're going back to the old formula again. Le sigh. And I was hoping that Takeshi Koike's awesome character designs would stick around a little bit longer. I may eventually get around to watching this upcoming special, but it saddens me to say that I am not in a big hurry to see it.

Last edited by Zump on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gozar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Gozar wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Uh, you mean the best Lupin III related thing to come out in a decade and one of the best anime in years?

That response makes me cry on so many levels.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Gozar wrote:

I feel the same way when you praise Green vs Red.
Gozar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Gozar wrote:

I feel the same way when you praise Green vs Red.

To be honest, my feelings have changed on GvR over the years. I do think that the concept is really good for a somewhat ending to the franchise. But it was poorly executed. Similar to my feelings on "Fujiko Mine".
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Typical "I hate everything new and must say it sucks because everyone else likes it."
E-Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Red Vs. Green was entertaining my only complaint is that spoiler[all of the previous versions of Lupin should of played a role in the story itself other than just appearing in the opening. You know something like the crossover specials for the Super Sentai franchise. It would of been awesome to see what it been like if every version of Lupin was interacting with one another as oppose to just see hundreds of Lupin who most of them look alike. Unless they were somewhere among that Lupin crowd, I would have to double check when Discotek releases it on DVD.]

A Woman Called Fujiko on the other hand is proof that a Lupin anime can have a great plot and show something that hasn't been done in a Lupin anime before. Or in this case having the plot focus on Fujiko mostly and having the time period take place in the late 60s to 70s. It's a unique version of Lupin and I really enjoyed it.
Gozar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:
Typical "I hate everything new and must say it sucks because everyone else likes it."

Meanwhile, your response is a typical "I hate people who have a different opinion from the mainstream" response. You just made a generalization directed at someone and contributed nothing to the topic at hand.

At least give your reasoning for being on the opposing side of a discussion with someone.

E-Master wrote:
A Woman Called Fujiko on the other hand is proof that a Lupin anime can have a great plot and show something that hasn't been done in a Lupin anime before. Or in this case having the plot focus on Fujiko mostly and having the time period take place in the late 60s to 70s. It's a unique version of Lupin and I really enjoyed it.

My problem with "Fujiko Mine" is that it just didn't feel like Lupin. People claimed that it was staying truer to the Manga with its darker theme, but the Manga used many of these dark themes as sources of comedy. Or for some type of gag at the end. The entire first half of the series seemed to just be random fan-service ploy after random fan-service ploy. While in the second half of the series, when the plot actually got interesting and drew me in as a viewer, the end it with the type of ending that I loathe the most. The St. Elsewhere "nothing really happened" ending. Of course in this case, it's not actually that nothing in the series ever happened, but rather the stuff we're lead to believe from Fujiko's past.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, it didn't feel like Lupin.

You know what feels like Lupin? The same one storyline that's been in nearly every TV Special since the 1980s. Well, I guess you'll be pleased, because it's returning.

Enjoy Movie-Only Female Lead With Mysterious Past, Treasure that is Key to Greater Treasure, Henchman only Goemon Can Defeat, and other such classic tropes.

Also, the manga was often vicious and mean-spirited. That sense of cruelty was maintained well in the Fujiko series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2