• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Elizabeth Olsen Comments on Oldboy Remake in Interview

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eurotrip1986

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Why not try to be creative and smart? Like oh i don't know Hollywood maybe you could try making your own films? I know it's hard to not want to take in 100s of millions of dollars and give horrible actors, writers, directors nothing. When was the last time Hollywood was relevant? Late 80s was a good last time period for them. Will the Harry Potter movies become another "remake?" Oh you know they will LOL. Patheticcccccc, but what's worst is the people in the USA keep going to see the trash on their screens.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
It is not an American thing. Everyone steals from everyone else in some form or another.

Nor is Hollywood un-creative. Sure they do remakes and adaptations, but that is not all.

Despite anime's track record for live action adaptations, I hope they keep trying. It would be interesting to see them try to adapt Madoka Magica to a live action movie.

Never seen or read Oldboy, but will give them best wishes for their success.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It is not an American thing. Everyone steals from everyone else in some form or another.

Also, adaptations are all the rage nowadays, mainly due to branding (it's easier to adapt something whose brand is already well-known than to start branding from scratch). Heck, a lot of contemporary anime are adaptations of already-popular manga and light novels. This Oldboy movie adapting from the manga is no different than any anime adapting from a manga.

eurotrip1986 wrote:
Patheticcccccc, but what's worst is the people in the USA keep going to see the trash on their screens.

People say the same thing about Japanese and anime, BTW.

Hollywood will keep being relevant at least for decades more to come since many more people around the world watch Hollywood than any other entertainment industry, including anime. It's simply economics.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
eurotrip1986 wrote:
Why not try to be creative and smart? Like oh i don't know Hollywood maybe you could try making your own films? I know it's hard to not want to take in 100s of millions of dollars and give horrible actors, writers, directors nothing. When was the last time Hollywood was relevant? Late 80s was a good last time period for them. Will the Harry Potter movies become another "remake?" Oh you know they will LOL. Patheticcccccc, but what's worst is the people in the USA keep going to see the trash on their screens.

Hate speech should be banned on this forum. LOL @ Hollywood being called irrelevant when nearly, if not all of the global biggest grossing films for a year are hollywood movies. The were relevant yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

Also, where was your originality rage when Koreans took a japanese manga and adapted it? Stop crying and grow up. You sound like some high school kid that just discovered how the world works and is shellshocked.
binarymutant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quote
I like how the anti-cinema crowd pops in to sing the praises of yet another tragedy. Chan-wook's work is a masterpiece that doesn't need to be Americanized for the non-subtitle reading majority.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote
binarymutant wrote:
I like how the anti-cinema crowd pops in to sing the praises of yet another tragedy. Chan-wook's work is a masterpiece that doesn't need to be Americanized for the non-subtitle reading majority.

They're adapting the original manga, not the Korean adaptation of the manga.

(Plus, ya realize the Koreans "Koreanized" the original Japanese manga, right? Because, obviously, Koreans won't read subtitles, of course.)
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
eurotrip1986 wrote:

So where were you when Japan announced a remake of a famous Clint Eastwood film? The same for Hong Kong announcing a remake of Mr and Mrs. Smith, did you hear about that one. Japan and other part of Asia after 2008 has been remaking American films, so are you going to go after them for doing remake or do they get a free pass??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
eurotrip1986 wrote:

It's funny, because every other anime is just an animated version of a light novel, visual novel, or a manga.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
binarymutant wrote:

Anti-cinema crowd, oh, come on. I love cinema too, and so does everyone else that don't view adaptions as a crime against life. There is something for everyone.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
basically with films and tv its a very easy concept, if you dislike it you need not watch it

it really not worth grumbling over.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
eurotrip1986 wrote:

This isn't going to be another "OMG, I hate adaptations and they all suck so let's soapbox about it" post; that ship has sailed in the last half-dozen news articles associated with this project. Comment on the content of the interview or don't comment, I'm tired of any mention of any cross-culture project, be it adaptation or joint production, being turned in to pissing contests by the intolerant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1