• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Replacing stackpak cases?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I have a little extra money, so I've been thinking about trying to finally order cases to replace a couple of stackpaks I have so I can stop running the risk of breaking and damaging the discs everytime I try to pull them out of the case. 99% sure I'm not the only one on here that has done or have tried this, hence why I wanted to come here for advice.

I want to try and find 4-disc and 6-disc cases for my Glass Mask Collection 1, the re-released Princess Tutu Complete Collection, and Full Metal Panic! Heavy Metal Collection that not only can hold the discs, but are thick enough to hold the artwork from the original cases. I'm not too sure of the measurements on the cases, and I'm afraid of ordering the wrong size cases for them.

If anyone has any advice on the right cases to order, especially if they've replaced the cases for these same series before, that'd be great. Thank you. Smile
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
First, measure how thick the case it. Sadly, if it's a stack pack, I doubt you can get the DVD case that's the size of a standard DVD case to hold 4-6 discs.

Ebay is a good place to look for all cases, just search "# disc dvd case"

There is also a place called Sleeve Town they have good cases, but they don't have the 5-6 disc cases that are standard case size.

Oh, I also started a topic about this DVD cases Someone was nice enough to show pictures of what they did. Like, they combined singles together into a case. Like, they had a 7-8 disc release and put all them into one case. They also used one of the original DVD art covers in the combined set to label it. Sure, it wasn't the right size for the case, but it doesn't look horrible.

I was also planning to combine my 2 collections of Kiba. They both have 4 discs each and the cases are a 1" wide, so I'm getting a case that holds 8 discs and an 1" wide, and using the cover I like more as in the replacement case.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:55 am Reply with quote
I have many stackpacks but never considered replacing them even if I probably should as it's the main reason I don't watch those series anymore {Thanks, Sentai!}.

A quick peek at Amazon {just now...} showed some 6 and 8 DVDs sets of at least average quality and the correct double thickness {The 8 set is the same one Sentai used for their Orphan double season set. It's not terrible...}.

Keywords to look for are either "double thickness" or "1" width". I don't understand why people would go out of their way to make it more difficult than it really is; DVD companies don't get their cases from elves, you know.

Oh, it's all Sentai's fault; I have one Media Blasters stackpack but that was a 7 DVD budget release so I can accept that but there's no excuse for Clannad/Clannad After Story to be a stackpack.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Casetopia is another place to get replacement cases pretty cheap.

I just got the 4-disc Avengers 3D release and was absolutely stunned to find the discs stacked on top of each other (2 on each side).
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
They do have single DVD cases that hold 4 discs, for example K-ON! Anime Legends set is the same size as a normal DVD case, yet holds 4 discs.

Girls Bravo SAVE is the same.

Personally I got some replacements from a guy on another message board. He even gave me the option of paying for them (or not).
I would have done so, but I was unemployed at the time.

I replaced my Shadow Skill TV, Princess Tutu, and a Toho Collection set.

I know the stack pack things are cheap, but come on Sentai your charging $ for that kind of cheap packages? You used to be awesome with those thin-pack things when you were ADV.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Thank you everyone. Smile I definitely have more of an idea now of what I have to look for verses not having much of a clue before. Hopefully I can get these replaced soon, since I really love watching these series but hate running the risk of scratching and breaking them every time I go to pull out or put away a disc.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:

I just got the 4-disc Avengers 3D release and was absolutely stunned to find the discs stacked on top of each other (2 on each side).

EricDent wrote:
They do have single DVD cases that hold 4 discs, for example K-ON! Anime Legends set is the same size as a normal DVD case, yet holds 4 discs.

Girls Bravo SAVE is the same.

Those aren't really "stack packs" though, are they? Those "wave" packaging designs don't come close to the problems that actual stackpacks cause. Stackpacks are on one spindle. Press the nub in the middle to take them out and put pressure on every single disc on the spindle- SNAP!

I don't know if anyone still uses them anymore
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure Section 23/Sentai uses Stackpacks quite often.
The Shadow Skill TV was, Princess Tutu was, and heard that stuff with multiple discs are usually that way.

I was just mentioning the 4 disc holder thing, cause somebody asked if such a thing existed.
GDFan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Like EricDent said, Sentai uses them all too often. Usually when they release 1/2 season sets, and then a complete collection later, that complete collection is a stackpack. The most discs I've seen them put on one spindle is six(Kohime Muso ultimate collection.) But I've seen MB put up to eight(Moribito.) Usually Sentai includes a styrophoam insert to keep the discs from bouncing around during handling. Like they admit their packaging choices are inferior, but they don't want to change them for something more practical.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Keywords to look for are either "double thickness" or "1" width"

I don't own many, since I avoid them at all costs. The ones I have are slightly larger than 1 inch. 1/8 inch larger, which is actually 1/8 inch smaller than double thickness, 5/8 x 2. Perhaps the size of the stackpack cases vary, I don't know for sure. I am sure that standard sizes are in millimeters, not inches, 14mm for regular cases.
supercreep

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
I need to replace my Rahxephon stack packs with a single 8 disc case, but it doesn't seem very cost effective for me to do so because it is the only case I need. All of the sites I've been to that sell cases make it either more expensive or impossible to buy just one case. Very frustrating.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
varmintx wrote:

Those aren't really "stack packs" though, are they? Those "wave" packaging designs don't come close to the problems that actual stackpacks cause. Stackpacks are on one spindle. Press the nub in the middle to take them out and put pressure on every single disc on the spindle- SNAP!

Correct, but I still found it very odd that the biggest release of the fall would come packaged that way. Not to mention, it still isn't as safe as each disc having its own spot.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
You people act as if DVDs/BDs break easily.

If you look in a store and look at the blank DVDs you, you will notice they're all stacked up on each other. The discs don't scratch with them just being on top of each other.
GDFan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
@Vata Raven

Nobody is saying that a dvd will get scratched just by being on top of another one. The more you have to handle the discs, the more likely they are to get scratched. And the center hubs can make it hard to get the discs out. You shouldn't have to remove 4 dvds just to get to the fifth one.

And I believe it's more about companies choosing to use inferior packaging. I don't mind Sentai's bare-bones releases, having nothing for extras except textless songs. But they could at least have some common sense when it comes to something as simple as a dvd case.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
They won't get damaged, that's the issue int he matter.

You aren't removing them right if you're having issues with damaged discs. You remove take the top disc off, when that's finished, you remove all the discs to put it on the bottom, and put int he next next.

If you remove 4-5 discs at a time, the thickness allows it to not break.
GDFan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
They won't get damaged, that's the issue int he matter.

You aren't removing them right...

Well, I guess you average consumer is just an idiot, not taking the discs out correctly. Maybe instead of using proper packaging, Sentai and others should just include instructions on how to remove the dvds from these craptastic cases. Or you could hold an online stackpack appreciation course. You would(obviously) have to go through the proper training and get certified. Let me know when you've got that taken care of, I'll be the first to sign up!!Rolling Eyes

Quote:
If you remove 4-5 discs at a time...

Seriously? I'm guessing you've never even tried this. It's almost impossible to hold the hub closed while removing two discs, let alone that fourth or fifth one. At that point, you'd just be violently tearing them out of the case, not "removing" them.

Forgive my bluntness, but most of your posts are tactless and argumentative, even when you don't know wtf you're talking about. It's obvious you like to argue, simply for argument's sake. Some would call you a troll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2