• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kekkaishi's Yellow Tanabe to Launch New Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
Hate to be a pedant, but her. Yellow Tanabe is a woman.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quote
I really loved the Kekkaishi anime and would love to buy the manga, however 35 volumes are out of my limit.

Although I guess I would buy it if Viz decided to release the whole series as omnibuses, and not just the first 9 volumes. Why do they keep doing that? -_-

Anyways, good luck to the mangaka on her new series.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
I really loved the Kekkaishi anime and would love to buy the manga, however 35 volumes are out of my limit.

Although I guess I would buy it if Viz decided to release the whole series as omnibuses, and not just the first 9 volumes. Why do they keep doing that? -_-

Lol yeah VIZ is zany. I never understood the whole lets do part of the series as an omnibus to get people interested thing. Guess VIZBIG didn't work out as well as they wanted too so they switched to the cheaper omnibuses for the long running shonen.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably being a little selfish, but I hope it's another youkai-themed manga.
eurotrip1986

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
She really should still be working on Kekkaishi. After the Kokuboro arc, she really rushed along the rest of the manga. It was still great, and deserved more than a 1 year 50 episode run anime. I'd say the managa should have been in the 400-500 chapters area. The area about the Land Gods being killed off was rushed, and the background of the leaders of Night Troop was poor. Still a A- manga, but it should have been better. Clearly she just wanted to end Kekkaishi, and move on to something new. Hopefully it's something we can latch onto like Kekkaishi. No romance manga please lol.
eurotrip1986

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
I'm probably being a little selfish, but I hope it's another youkai-themed manga.

A Kekkaishi spin off would be a major plus. I'm sure it's going to be something completely different sadly though lol.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
need new Kekkaishi anime series.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:

Lol yeah VIZ is zany. I never understood the whole lets do part of the series as an omnibus to get people interested thing. Guess VIZBIG didn't work out as well as they wanted too so they switched to the cheaper omnibuses for the long running shonen.

The VIZBIG and the 3-in-1 omnibuses are different things enierly. The Vizbig are things for like Dragonball and Inuyasha, big hefty omnibuses with good paper designed to go for the whole run. The 3-in-1 are the first 12 or 9 volumes of a long running shonen/shojo series to try and get people interested and keep buying after the omnibuses are done, they are printed on very flimsy paper not unlike newsprint.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:

Because the returns are better?

+ Sales fall volume-by-volume.
+ print runs generally fall more slowly, so later volumes of a series tend to have higher remaining stock levels than earlier ones
+ an omnibus release including volume X makes the remaining copies of the single volume X close to unsellable.

... eventually, for a lot of series, there comes a point where the sales of the omnibus get you less money than the cost of prepping the omnibus plus the cost of losing the otherwise-still-realiseable sales of the singles.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
I tend to latch on to individual series more than authors, but I'm looking forward to whatever her new project is as I really enjoyed Kekkaishi! Even if it's not to my tastes, I hope it does well. Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1