• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugnin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
MrTerrorist wrote:
Preview for the next episode "The Depths of Hell".

Ok thats......weird. Question

It looks like another side story...

-grumble grumble-

Actually, I don't believe this is a side story, technically speaking. This was part of the first light novel if I'm not mistaken. Maybe I am.

You're not. This was the original honeymoon story before Yui was added later on.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Due to SAO's serious nature, I cannot turn off my brain when viewing it. It's almost like Guilty Crown but not as bad. Both shows take themselves seriously which makes it difficult for me to not think how the show is handled. The two shows are also very fun. . . to laugh at.

Dammit stop channeling me.

...man, these last two episodes were horrible. Up until these last two episodes, the show didn't do too badly at setting up the proper context for some empathy, but 11 felt really forced and 12 was practically an entire episode of narm. Ugh. I hope that's over with.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Well now it is obvious why Megiddo was complaining about the show, he did not get to see the amazing scene, you know the one that was so good and breathtaking that none of us felt it was necessary to mention what it was and what episode it was in. We apologize to you Mediddo, your complaints were without seeing the super mega awesome bits that have been in the last several episodes.

I'll just leave this here because it's the best thing about episode 12, hands down.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
I'll just leave this here because it's the best thing about episode 12, hands down.

I can not tell if that person is being sarcastic, or was on the same stuff as the double rainbow guy.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
double rainbow guy was just high on life
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Veers wrote:

I can not tell if that person is being sarcastic, or was on the same stuff as the double rainbow guy.
He's being satirical and sarcastic.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
He's being satirical and sarcastic.

Yeah, but he lays it on a bit thickly at the end. It was a great post until then.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Immatrollololol wrote:

I'm sorry, but I find this rather offensive. Here I am just minding my own business, then I get to hear this?

Okay. I admit, I lolololololed Anime hyper

Quote:
You only think it is obnoxious because he doesn't have the same opinion as you do and you don't like that.

What? o_o No. I think it is obnoxious the way he expresses himself, like the type of words he uses, etc. It's not because his opinion is different than mine. Please. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I mean, how else to explain why you are so offended?

I'm not offended....just annoyed how he won't stop. He hates the series, we get it. How many times does one need to repeat themselves? I mean, HE'S NOT EVEN WATCHING IT!?

Quote:
This was the original honeymoon story

Yaaaaaay. (゜▼゜)
I shall prepare myself for some major squeeing. X3

Oh, I have a question about the OP

Right before the refrain, we see hands reaching out toward the sky three times. Asuna's is the second, Kirito's is the third. So....whose is the first hand? o_o That's driving me nuts!
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:47 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:27 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
Kotaku reviews Sword Art Online. Recation?:

[url=http://kotaku.com/5947171/sword-art-online-is-the-smartest-anime-I've-seen-in-years-and-its-only-half+done]Sword Art Online Is the Smartest Anime I’ve Seen in Years (And It’s Only Half-Done)[/url]

LOL. I thought it was funny, in one of the comments under the review, one of the site members says "This is one big troll article right?" Yes, it absolutely is a troll article. The smartest anime he's seen in YEARS? I had my gripes about how Puella Magi Madoka Magica ended, but that anime was light years ahead of SAO and, in my opinion, PMMM holds the title of smartest anime I've seen for a good while (don't know about years, but it was pretty darn good.) Mr. Eisenbeis is either a troll or a major fan boy. Most of his article seems to focus on the top level concepts which SAO generally touches upon, but he completely ignores the fact that (at least to this point) SAO has not focused on any of those concepts in a manner consistent with good, solid storytelling. The effect of time, the virtual society, the tragedies, the different genres addressed in the story... none of these themes have been really executed in any kind of consistent way where the audience can become invested in any particular storyline or set of characters. For example, the tragedies have all been rushed and abrupt, and laced with overly sentimental dialogue which is often cringe worthy.

About the only thing that has been more or less consistent among these themes is the love story aspect. I think Kirito and Asuna's relationship is getting to the believable point.

SAO is certainly enjoyable enough to watch every week, but to say its the smartest anime in years is... eye popping to say the least.

P.S. I haven't gotten around to watching Space Brothers, but from what I'm seeing in the reviews, it's an incredibly smart show. I have watched a few episodes of Polar Bear Cafe, mostly because Bamboo has been pushing it so hard, and I do have to say I was very delighted with that show as well. I assume either of those shows would be higher up on the list of smartest show than SAO as far as this season is concerned.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe, at least, there will be a scene where Kirito talks about how much he loves fishing and how he and his dad used to fish together until his dad became an alcoholic and crashed their fishing boat, and then as a result he hated fishing for the rest of his life and instead became obsessed with video games and shut himself off from his family. I just made all that up, but it would be better character development than another scene where someone's in trouble and Kirito helps them.

All joking aside, I do generally like fishing stories, since there usually is a lot of quiet time for exposition. I hope this one makes good use of this opportunity.

The fishing chapter was quite....bizarre and out of left field to me. Does Kawahara just REALLY like fishing that much?
Bugnin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed it. It seemed like really the only chapter in all of SAO spoiler[Where both Kirito and Asuna were at peace with things.]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13:

Wow.

I'll be interested to see how the traditional naysayers react to this one, because to me it played out like an answer to just about every complaint that people have been lodging about the series over the past couple of months. Asuna shines again without any involvement from Kirito, the Asuna/Kirito relationship felt like it finally had enough traction for the tender scenes between the two of them to be fully credible and involving, it addresses concerns about game world vs. real world life, both characters show some distinct development and advancement, spoiler[the level 75 boss is suitably intimidating, and seeing all of the top-level players teaming up against the Skull Reaper - especially the Kirito/Asuna combo and how well they played off of Heathcliff - was thrilling. Damn good animation on the Skull Reaper as well.] It even slipped in some tastefully sexy fan service, too.

The only minor complaint I had is that spoiler[the nondescript participants in the boss fight died too easily (I didn't think that was necessary to convey how dangerous this boss is)], but I'm willing to overlook that in light of everything else the episode does well.

And if you haven't seen the episode yet, don't get hung up on the fish thing in the first part. It gets way better from there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait. Sounds like they did a great job with the things I wanted them to include.
Riddley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Shiz be getting real now folks.

This episode was very well done imo. And I was wondering if they would slip in the part about their real bodies. I'm really wondering how they will end the series now. Will they go into the second novel or will they end it at the first? Ooo the suspense is killing me Very Happy
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Episode 13:

Wow.

I'll be interested to see how the traditional naysayers react to this one, because to me it played out like an answer to just about every complaint that people have been lodging about the series over the past couple of months. Asuna shines again without any involvement from Kirito, the Asuna/Kirito relationship felt like it finally had enough traction for the tender scenes between the two of them to be fully credible and involving, it addresses concerns about game world vs. real world life, both characters show some distinct development and advancement, spoiler[the level 75 boss is suitably intimidating, and seeing all of the top-level players teaming up against the Skull Reaper - especially the Kirito/Asuna combo and how well they played off of Heathcliff - was thrilling. Damn good animation on the Skull Reaper as well.]

Yeah! Agree completely. This was a pretty excellent episode. I think the best scene was
spoiler[Kirito and Asuna's discussion in the room that led to her breaking down. I love how they BOTH confide in each other-like how he tells her he's scared and panicking and her response.]Because this is how real couples are supposed to be! This is what they do! They trust each other completely and aren't afraid to show their weaknesses. I just love it! These two could teach a class on "How to be a Good Couple" to other anime characters who need to learn this shit. Anime hyper

And hats off to the seiyuu. They really outdid themselves in that one.

The cuddle scenes are also so cute and refreshing to see. We don't get enough of these in anime where the cuddling is mutual so I really enjoyed that part. :')

The monster was well-done. The way it moves is unsettling to the viewer, like you flinch when it goes into action. That's the mark of a good monster and good animation for me.
But it might also be because
spoiler[I F*CKING HATE CENTIPEDES!! EW EW EWWWWWWW!!!] Anime hyper
Though I've seen a lot of anime that use that same type of monster design and I didn't cringe at all. So I chalk it up to SAO's greatness this time.
The fishing scene was maybe a WEE bit boring but spoiler[Kirito's reactions were gold, particularly his "WTF o___O" faces. He had no freaking clue, did he!? Anime hyper]

And concerning Kirito's character: spoiler[He was very NOT Gary Stu at all in this ep. Which leads me to believe he really isn't one. (And there were other things in previous eps but nothing that made it as clear cut as THIS.) Saying that he'd rather run away with Asuna and forget about clearing the game was very selfish and cowardly. But also human and realistic. Thus, I loved it. Because a Mary Sue would never admit to something like that. The Mary Sue is supposed to be right ALL the time and never have selfish or cowardly thoughts. EVER.]
He's not a Sue, people. =_=
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 65 of 274