• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What will happen to the future of anime dubs?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Domayv

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Now, the future of anime dubs has looked bleak ever since Bandai Entertainment, the last major client of Bang Zoom! and Ocean Studios, stopped licensing and will completely close down in March of next year and Media Blasters has gone unstable. The near-inevitable fate is that anime dubs will be homogenized to Texas-recorded dubs. There was hope that Ocean could be back in the game because of Funi licensing Shana s2 & beyond and Black Lagoon Roberta's Blood Trail. However, Funi decided to dump the cast of Shana s1 in favor for an in-house cast that is inferior compared to season 1 because "it would be cheaper", putting Ocean on life support. However, Roberta's Blood Trail will be given the original cast. Sentai, on the other hand, when they got K-on!!, Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, Rozen Maiden: Overture and Mahoromatic: I'm Home, they outsource those to their respective casts. Funi on the other hand when they got the Fafner movie, they decided to dump the cast in favor for an in-house cast because it would be cheaper. If Funi got those, would they do what Sentai did, or would they just dump those casts in favor for in-house casts because "it would be cheaper". Ikki Tousen might also suffer that even more because of what Media Blasters did, and if Funi decided to use an entirely different cast, it would complicate things even further. What Funi did with Shana is unforgivable, and the only way they could repent for that is if they raise $590,000 by means of selling copies of Shana via a Kickstarter project and/or outsource some of their future dubs to Ocean (that means if they get Hayate the Combat Butler, they should outsource to Ocean, and also Jormungand because of its near-exact similarities to Black Lagoon) and/or Bang Zoom!. The only other solution for Ocean to be back in the dubbing game is if Aniplex of America starts outsourcing to Ocean Studios (currently: They can currently outsource Oreimo, Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, and Star Driver to Ocean Studios).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Domayv--
  1. Welcome to the fora.
  2. Just out of idle curiosity (and since you bring the subject up) is Ocean in any way, shape or form involved in the "Inuyasha: The Final Act" dub? I ask because I have not been paying any attention to the matter.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Domayv--
  1. Welcome to the fora.
  2. Just out of idle curiosity (and since you bring the subject up) is Ocean in any way, shape or form involved in the "Inuyasha: The Final Act" dub? I ask because I have not been paying any attention to the matter.

Inuyasha is using Ocean, but they had to replace a few VAs because the the ones that were replaced moved to LA.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
yeah, viz sent inuyasha to the Ocean group. 5 OVA's vs a movie, 48 episodes, 4 ova's and number of specials. which one do you think costs less to send to another recording studio?
Domayv

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Quote:
yeah, viz sent inuyasha to the Ocean group. 5 OVA's vs a movie, 48 episodes, 4 ova's and number of specials. which one do you think costs less to send to another recording studio?

Inuyasha the Final act is 24-26 episodes long.

Anyways, the only way Funi can repent for what they did is if they outsource some future dubs to Ocean (specifically Jormungand and Hayate the Combat Butler if they get it).
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Domayv wrote:
getchman wrote:
Quote:

Inuyasha the Final act is 24-26 episodes long.

Anyways, the only way Funi can repent for what they did is if they outsource some future dubs to Ocean (specifically Jormungand and Hayate the Combat Butler if they get it).

...again, you're singing the same story. It gets old.
Domayv

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
@Vata Raven: Oh now youre joining in to spoil this whole thing, thanks alot. It's like wherever I go you go to spoil things for me.
GDFan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
Domayv wrote:

Can you please explain why? Hayate was already released by Bandai, sub-only. There is no issue of continuity with this title. I would actually love to see FUNi pick this up, and dub it. But why would it matter if dubbing was done in-house or outsourced.

And who died and made you God? FUNi can "repent" for any sin, simply by losing Greg Ayres as a VA
Domayv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
GDFan wrote:
Domayv wrote:

Can you please explain why? Hayate was already released by Bandai, sub-only. There is no issue of continuity with this title. I would actually love to see FUNi pick this up, and dub it. But why would it matter if dubbing was done in-house or outsourced.

And who died and made you God? FUNi can "repent" for any sin, simply by losing Greg Ayres as a VA

I'm not God, OK. And when I meant "repent", I meant that what Funi did to Shana was unforgivable since the new cast is inferior compared to season 1 and therefore outsourcing future dubs to make up for every episode (56 in total) and/or doing a kickstarter project to raise 590,000 to get back the original cast. And WHY WOULD YOU PICK GREG AYRES?! For Hayate, it's because of Shana-tan being dubbed by Ocean first. Also is because of what Funi did to Shana, it put Ocean on life support, and therefore some outsourcings from Funi and/or Aniplex of America could get Ocean out of life support and back in the dubbing game.

Last edited by Domayv on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
i wasnt talking about the length of inuyasha. i was comparing the length of Roberta's Blood Trail to Shakugan no shana.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
well, you are going to have to live with the new voice cast. they are not going to be re-dubbing it, nor are they going to arbitrarily send shows off to the ocean group for English dubbing. that makes no sense. im sure the ocean group is doing fine. they record more than just anime. they have My little pony, and other cartoons as well as games.
Domayv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
well, you are going to have to live with the new voice cast. they are not going to be re-dubbing it, nor are they going to arbitrarily send shows off to the ocean group for English dubbing. that makes no sense. im sure the ocean group is doing fine. they record more than just anime. they have My little pony, and other cartoons as well as games.

They don't have as much games as before since Capcom (pretty much the last major client) now sources to California. Probably the only thing keeping them alive is MLP. Even for the number of westerns and games dubbed is far less than those of California, and there's going to be an inconsistent gap in dubs. It's all or nothing.
GDFan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
Domayv wrote:
And WHY WOULD YOU PICK GREG AYRES?!

Relax, I meant no offense. It's nice to see the OP actually continuing in the discussion they started. In reguards to Greg Aryes, I simply do not like his voice. I'd give you some examples but simply listing titles is discouraged here. And he's not worth the time explaining why I hate him in, well, everything he's done.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
Domayv wrote:
getchman wrote:

They don't have as much games as before since Capcom (pretty much the last major client) now sources to California. Probably the only thing keeping them alive is MLP. Even for the number of westerns and games dubbed is far less than those of California, and there's going to be an inconsistent gap in dubs. It's all or nothing.

That would be wrong, Ocean's VAs still make 6 figures by doing all the projects they do
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
Shana I could understand, since its a movie, OVAs, and a full second season, its cheaper to dub it in house

Roberta's Blood Trail, Im hoping they send to Ocean, since its just 5 episodes. Here's hoping. I suppose to help, we can keep sending emails and messages expressing our concern about that one in particular (and be mature about it, not just yell and bitch about it, or they wont take it seriously). They did send Hellsing Ultimate to L.A., so Im still a lil hopeful

EDIT: NVM, just found out they ARE getting Ocean to do Roberta's Blood Trail. Nice! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4