• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Psycho-Pass's 1st Promo With Anime Footage Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
To everyone who thinks this is a Blade Runner homage, you do know that film was adapted from Philip K. Dick's Androids novel, right?

The Psycho-Pass gun is basically the Voigt-Kampff test only with CGI-animation.

I've never seen the movie but I loved the Androids novel, so this show is probably the only Fall show (along with Kamisama Kiss) that I have high expectations for.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
Finally, some action. Looking good so far!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
Looks nice visually but I still have my doubts. I'll give this one a try and see how it goes...

I would like to see some sci fi anime myself however, I'm not a huge nut for it but I have seen the industry do nice things with the genre.
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Bob from Accounting wrote:
This looks like an exciting and interesting dark action series.

So it'll probably end up as a romcom or something.

Gen Urobuchi's scripting it, so not likely.

No, that's exactly WHY it's likely.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Are you trolling or do you legitimately not know who Urobuchi is?
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
To everyone who thinks this is a Blade Runner homage, you do know that film was adapted from Philip K. Dick's Androids novel, right?

I've never seen the movie but I loved the Androids novel, so this show is probably the only Fall show (along with Kamisama Kiss) that I have high expectations for.
I don't think the Voigt-Kampff test had quite the same meaning and significance in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep than the gun has in Psycho-Pass. The gun is a heck of a lot more direct, so it probably wouldn't serve the same story function.

Great book.

I'm very interested to see what this is. With this director and writer combination, it'll at least probably be memorable.
Takuku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:
Can't wait to find out who's simulcasting this.

It is noitamina so it will most likely be crunchyroll.

This has the potential to attract a bigger audience so I think FUNimation may actually get this one (unless Sentai does the unexpected).

Although even when Sentai picks up a show it usually gets streamed on CR first (well, that's how they've been doing it the past few seasons anyway, they have streamed some stuff independent of CR as well), but this really feels more like a Funi show to me (in which case I wouldn't expect an announcement until mid-October).

Anime On Demand have a delayed announcement for Wednesday that is being synced with others. It might be not related to this but i'm thinking with how the promos and details have been coming for Psycho-Pass - I would be surprised if this isn't a Funimation license considering they're usually the late party.
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:05 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Do you? The man is a pathological liar and trickster. From a superficial standpoint based on promotional materials, this show actually looks grimdark from the beginning. Therefore I'm sceptical that it really is.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
Ahh, looks to be a crime drama. Not terribly crazy about the premise, but I could see myself watching it.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
Nemo of Mentis wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

I don't think the Voigt-Kampff test had quite the same meaning and significance in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep than the gun has in Psycho-Pass. The gun is a heck of a lot more direct, so it probably wouldn't serve the same story function.

Great book.

I'm very interested to see what this is. With this director and writer combination, it'll at least probably be memorable.

True. The V-K served as both measurement of 'empathy' in distinguished robot from human and as a metaphor on what (or even how) can a person be considered a human or not? The androids physically/biologically look like humans, but do they possess that "soul" which makes humans so differ from other mammals?

I'm hoping that the gun will also be used as both a literal and metaphorical device on what makes a human sane or how does one measure individuality. (I could go on for hours contemplating but I'll wait for the first few episodes to come out...) If it's just a "regular gun", than I'll just enjoy the show as a cool Sci-Fi cop series. We haven't seen those in quite a while.

And yes, it's great book. Everyone should read it. ^__^
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Do you? The man is a pathological liar and trickster. From a superficial standpoint based on promotional materials, this show actually looks grimdark from the beginning. Therefore I'm sceptical that it really is.

Because it's not like Saya no Uta was grimdark from the very beginning either, eh? And surely, he must have focused exclusively on grimdark shows just so that he could fake us out with a romcom that doesn't use its vast potential to examine morality and justice at all. Because he's like that; always not using the horribleness potential of the show's concept to its fullest. Confused

Last edited by darkhappy1 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
The reports on 2ch from people who saw the closed doors pre-air says its typical Urobuchi stuff, and pretty grotesque... so I doubt you'll need to worry about it becoming some romcom.
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
darkhappy1 wrote:

Because it's not like Saya no Uta was grimdark from the very beginning either, eh? And surely, he must have focused exclusively on grimdark shows just so that he could fake us out with a romcom that doesn't use its vast potential to examine morality and justice at all. Because he's like that; always not using the horribleness potential of the show's concept to its fullest. Confused

Well, I'll take your word on Saya no Uta since I don't read VNs but his anime output tends to not be what it appears to be (admittedly less so for Fate/zero but still to an extent). And he wouldn't have had to plan out setting up our expectations to take advantage of them now.

RyanSaotome wrote:
The reports on 2ch from people who saw the closed doors pre-air says its typical Urobuchi stuff, and pretty grotesque... so I doubt you'll need to worry about it becoming some romcom.

Did the pre-air show the entire series? It could very easily be another non-indicative first episode. And who said anything about worrying? A romcom set in a dark dystopia would be brilliant.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
Expect for some awkward moments with CG gun it looks pretty good!
I also recall people complaining that modern anime only has influences from other animes,well this show already made a direct homage to Blade Runner at 00:18 and 00:22.

According to some interviews the show is meant to be more of a retake on Ghost in the Shell more than anything else but it's cool if some other homages are in there. Show looks really amazing though. CGI stands out a bit but Prodo I.G. does their CG pretty well so I'm not worried much about that.

Can't wait to find out who's simulcasting this.

Nicely said. I personally don't mind homages to GITS, Blade Runner, or any other similar shows within the genre so long as Psyho-Pass can stand well on its own.

Cautiously excited for this one now.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
LaFreccia wrote:
Most looking forward to this and Kamisama Hajimemashita for Fall 2012. SciFi Cop Drama and a Supernatural Romantic Comedy ... what else do you need? Laughing

Perhaps another season of Natsume Yuujinchou instead of Kamisama Hajimemashita.

I agree that this is going to be excellent with Gen having done the writing.
Chagen46 wrote:

Be careful what you wish for, Urobuchi is on the record saying that he wants to write a story that will deeply involve male same-sex relationships, this could be it~~~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3