• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio SHAFT Streams Prism Nana Anime's Pilot Promo No. 01

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:45 am Reply with quote
Looks like it'll be what we originally believed Madoka would turn out. Taking a second mahou shoujo down the gutter to gloom and depression would be a really cheap shot, but I'd hesitate to call it influenced by Madoka when it's the same director and studio and they're still working on the original in film versions. I'd also refrain from calling it typical, based on the preview, but instead closer to Tweeny Witches mixed with Nanoha.
why no guest post option?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:04 am Reply with quote
me and SHAFT loves mahou shoujo
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
...That was ADD as hell. Looks interesting, though.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
Wow, and Kitamura Eri is in this one, too? Not exactly surprised, but I'd like her to not show up in at least ONE Shaft anime.

Totally watching though.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
...That was ADD as hell. Looks interesting, though.

I'm not usually quick to judge by trailers because it's not professional. I got a more upbeat feeling to with three girls working together "again based on the preview" then madoka that pitted each girl against each other. Who knows maybe this will the gurren lagann to magical girl series, while madoka remains as the evangelion of magical girl genre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
I'm just really hoping this'll be closer to Nanoha than Madoka. I'll lose a lot of respect for Shaft if they do another show like Madoka so quick, since it would just be trying to ride on the success of Madoka.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
Looks like Madoka has started a new trend. Magical girls fighting monsters in trippy abstract backgrounds. I APPROVE OF THIS!

And while this looks like a cash-grab by trying to make a "Happy Madoka" it could still be a entertaining show. Heres hoping it turns out to be something decent. *knock on wood*
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
I really like that the anime character designer has kept pretty close to Kantoku's original designs.

I do wonder if SHAFT is intentionally misleading fans by saying the show is not a mahou shoujo show or not.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Looks like Madoka has started a new trend. Magical girls fighting monsters in trippy abstract backgrounds. I APPROVE OF THIS!

And while this looks like a cash-grab by trying to make a "Happy Madoka" it could still be a entertaining show. Heres hoping it turns out to be something decent. *knock on wood*

Again, I hesitate full brake to call it a trend WHEN IT'S THE SAME DIRECTOR. That's like saying Oshii set a trend in anime for slow and ponderous films, when it's really just his personal style before anything else. If this were another director in another studio, then we could throw the words trend, influence, derivative, and so on at it.

I would almost want it to be another Madoka, because I'd like to see these magical girls suffer for trying to force lightning to strike twice. I'm talking full out butcher scenes a la Violence Jack. Bring it on. If it turns out more like Nanoha, then it's all gravy.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Again, I hesitate full brake to call it a trend WHEN IT'S THE SAME DIRECTOR.

^This. Keep in mind that Shinbou has made a couple of the more memorable magical girl titles. It wouldn't surprise me if he made another magical girl series again. Then again, if it turns out like Negima! then might as well move along.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
This looks kawaii as heck! The girls seem really tough and adorable and the monster-fights look radical, if a little bit like "Madoka-lite" vis a vis the surreal, Escher-esque backdrops. It's been a while since we've had a really strong non-Precure magical girl show, so between this and Ladybug we've got a lot to look forward to.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
This looks kawaii as heck! The girls seem really tough and adorable and the monster-fights look radical, if a little bit like "Madoka-lite" vis a vis the surreal, Escher-esque backdrops. It's been a while since we've had a really strong non-Precure magical girl show, so between this and Ladybug we've got a lot to look forward to.

Whats this Ladybug anime? I don't see any anime named that, unless thats a translation of its name.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Myaow wrote:

Whats this Ladybug anime? I don't see any anime named that, unless thats a translation of its name.

It's a French co-production that Precure's Studio Toei is doing with ZAGToon! It's not technically an anime (it's more along the lines of Thundercats.) However, it's got the Toei "look" all over it and looks like it'll fit right in alongside Precure and Doremi. I think it looks really cute and I'm excited to see it!
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Again, I hesitate full brake to call it a trend WHEN IT'S THE SAME DIRECTOR. That's like saying Oshii set a trend in anime for slow and ponderous films, when it's really just his personal style before anything else. If this were another director in another studio, then we could throw the words trend, influence, derivative, and so on at it.

I would almost want it to be another Madoka, because I'd like to see these magical girls suffer for trying to force lightning to strike twice. I'm talking full out butcher scenes a la Violence Jack. Bring it on. If it turns out more like Nanoha, then it's all gravy.

But it was Gen Urobuchi who was the mastermind behind Madoka.

Is he a part of this show?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Myaow wrote:

It's a French co-production that Precure's Studio Toei is doing with ZAGToon! It's not technically an anime (it's more along the lines of Thundercats.) However, it's got the Toei "look" all over it and looks like it'll fit right in alongside Precure and Doremi. I think it looks really cute and I'm excited to see it!

Huh, I wouldn't have guessed that wasn't officially an anime if I didn't read the article first. I don't typically watch Western cartoons but I'll give that a chance for sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2