• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Strike Witches BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
Very fun, lighthearted show. Yeah, the fanservice is ubiquitous in the show and all, but after a while, it kind of isn't a huge deal. Absolutely, one must know what they're getting into beforehand to appreciate the rest of the show.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
Fun show overall I took it for what it was and i might double dip just for blurays~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
Amazing timing here, seeing how the season 2 BD/DVD combo is coming out in two days.

I picked up the plain Strike Witches DVD since I figured the BD wasn't worth it and here's a review that considers that distinction; That's nice. However, evaluating the show after two releases and several years is meaningless. Here it is in one sentence:

This is the anime fighting the war on pants.

They're aliens invovlved at some point but they could be anything.

Anyway. Which one is the lesbian? Seeing how there's one pretty much confirmed couple, it's kind of complicated if only one of them counts. But the description of it being "one sided" would imply Perrine.

The music's very good, almost soaring if you willl and the interpersonal character development is both shallow enough to fit in 12 episodes yet deep enough to make you care about what they're doing there in the first place. Sad to say, the whole alien war part is unnecessary and gets in the way because spoiler[there's no way it can be concluded or explained. At all.]
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
I love this show. Great character design, good production values, and of course, no pants. The story isn't much worth caring about (I actually would have preferred more slice of life/character interaction and less story focus), but the character interaction parts are really enjoyable. I can't wait to see the movie..
N.R.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

I picked up the plain Strike Witches DVD since I figured the BD wasn't worth it

You were wrong. The Blu-ray looks amazing compared to the DVDs. Funny thing about reviews on ANN - they never tell you what they used to watch the show. Maybe they aren't using the best TVs out there, or maybe they used a component cable instead of an HDMI cable for this review. Who knows? Read some more reviews of this show on other sites and you'll learn most people do see a considerable visual improvement in the Blu-ray version over the DVDs.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first two episodes and nothing made me want to continue. The fan service didn't bother me, but it didn't do anything for me either. I keep reading that this is a decent show. I might try and give it another go...
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
Who knows? Read some more reviews of this show on other sites and you'll learn most people do see a considerable visual improvement in the Blu-ray version over the DVDs.

I just did a Google search for "Strike Witches Blu Ray review" and the very first result I got up had an opinion on this almost identical to mine - and that's from a site which has much more of a reputation than we do for caring about nitty-gritty technical points. The third one posted also leaned much more towards my view. I didn't look any farther down the list, but clearly I'm not the only one unimpressed by this Blu Ray's visual quality upgrade.

Last edited by Key on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
N.R. wrote:
Who knows? Read some more reviews of this show on other sites and you'll learn most people do see a considerable visual improvement in the Blu-ray version over the DVDs.

I just did a Google search for "Strike Witches Blu Ray review" and the very first result I got up had an opinion on this almost identical to mine - and that's from a site which has much more of a reputation than we do for caring nitty-gritty technical points. The third one posted also leaned much more towards my view. I didn't look any farther down the list, but clearly I'm not the only one unimpressed by this Blu Ray's visual quality upgrade.

Hmm maybe it's me then I streamed the show in hd on netflix before the initial bluray release 5 month beforehand. I thoroughly quite enjoyed the upgrade on the quality however that's my opinion and I respect yours~

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
the show was originally widescreen already
I would not expect a huge change in quality but there should definitely be a noticeable increase in sharpness
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Loved the series and was surprised that it had been picked up originally for DVD. Continue to be surprised it has been released on BD, and soon the second season. Someone up 'high' must like it also for all this attention it is receiving. Hope more sequels (not alternate realities) keep on coming.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
This review would have been more lively if Zac had written it, oh well you can't win them all. Wink
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and character behaviors provide all manner of fodder for reading yuri subtexts into some of the content, though no clear lesbian relationship is showed or heavily implied. (One character does seem to be a lesbian, but her interest in a fellow 501st member is one-sided.)

Wait, what?

Huh?

I'm not even sure who you are referring to in that parenthetical (Minna and Mio?) but regardless, Sanya and Eila are explicitly a couple. You'd have to have extreme blinders on to not notice this.

And this doesn't even touch on Yoshika's obsession with breasts (particularly Lynne's).
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I was referring to Perrine and her obsession with Mio. Never thought the other pairings were more than lightly implied in a lesbian sense - and as anime has shown time and again, merely groping another woman's breasts does not (automatically) a lesbian make.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I was referring to Perrine and her obsession with Mio. Never thought the other pairings were more than lightly implied in a lesbian sense - and as anime has shown time and again, merely groping another woman's breasts does not (automatically) a lesbian make.

Ok, you need to pay closer attention, because the Eila/Sanya relationship is quite explicit, even if they never come right out and say it. (and for the record, they are officially a couple. Its not an opinion to say they are)

Also, it might be worth reviewing Minna's actions towards Mio in the latter part of the series with this in mind as well~~
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Sanya/Eila is more heavily implied in the second season. In the first it seems to be more one sided over protectiveness on Eila's end.

Anyways, love this show from initial airing until now. I got the original DVD set so I have no intention of getting this one (I'm not much of an HD junkie).

Brought it to my anime club once for the lulz and surprisingly we voted to watch it that semester. Quite a number of people showed up and given the bouts of laughter everyone seemed to enjoy it. Heck, one of the members was a gay male and he enjoyed it quite a bit. There's more to it than just the fanservice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3