• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aniplex Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nico87

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Mmm, don't know, but I've heard on other forums that they were SD and I believe they released DVDs before the BD box set in Japan.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
There's an old thread on Mania that talks about it. Here's a good place to start.

If I'm gathering it right, it's not an SD upscale, but it's not 720p, more like 540 (like Bones shows). The Epilogue, though, is apparently drool worthy since it was made more recently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
There's an old thread on Mania that talks about it. Here's a good place to start.

If I'm gathering it right, it's not an SD upscale, but it's not 720p, more like 540 (like Bones shows). The Epilogue, though, is apparently drool worthy since it was made more recently.

BD- Video: 16:9 HD Widescreen, 1920 x 1080p, MPEG-4 AVC.
DVD- Video: 16:9/ Widescreen / MPEG-2

That's what the ANN pages tell me
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
What the fudge is your point? Instead of being upscaled from 480p to 1080p, it's being upscaled from 540p to 1080p. Just because it says the resolution is 1080p doesn't mean it was made like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Yea, some of the info seems to state that it wasn't 1080p or 720p. However, the BD still looks sharper and brighter than the DVD and some examples they posted:
DVD
BD

BD looks sharper and the shadows don't look smudgy or blurry like in the DVD.

Region 2 DVD vs BD Link

DVD
BD

Well based on some of these screen shots the BD still looks superior. Now I'm not feeling so regretful about not pre-ordering the DVD version in the hopes that they put out another version of the BD down the road.
Timesplitter 01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Lets just say that the bluray set was available at $400 and the DVD set was available at $150 and the only difference between the two was the format it was on.

So is the KnK bluray set worth a $250 premium over the DVD set? To some people people it may be but a majority of others would say no it is not.

Will Aniplex do a bluray set again for KnK? IMHO Yes.

Will it be cheap? IMHO No. They will probably be wanting at minimum $250 for it and at worst $400. So people are still going to complain no matter what.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Timesplitter 01 wrote:

Will Aniplex do a bluray set again for KnK? IMHO Yes.

That's if Aniplex JP decides to do re-release in the Japanese market first. So, it is possible, just have to wait and see what the parent company does.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
I've already spent too much money, so I cannot get KnK DVD now anyway, but I also just have to try holding out for a Blu-Ray. I also think it is dependent on another Blu-Ray release in Japan first, but I am willing to wait and to pay more than the DVD set costs. I already saw them SD quality on the PSN. I wanna see them on Blu-Ray. They're so gorgeous.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
I believe ANN commented on the quality of the BD release, when it first came out. If I remember right, the BD release didn't help KnK in visual quality. So it might be better in DVD.
batou37

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I've been a bit confused as I've read the past page or so on the video quality of the KnK BD. I really don't know what else everyone watched (or or what you watched it on as I'm sure your HDTV and blu ray player's performance come into play) but I found the video gorgeous. The backgrounds, and what I guess you would call environmental art (such as the rain, shadows, light from a streetlamps, and the dust floating through the scenes such as in the abandoned building and elevator of the first movie) were especially impressive. I have not seen the DVD versions so I guess I really don't have much to compare it to, but I find it hard to believe a DVD could look anywhere near that detailed and crisp (at least I've never seen a DVD that accomplished that.)
Timesplitter 01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Anyone that wants to see if the Blurays are worth the premium or not can take a look at the following link to see screenshots of the Japanese DVD and Japanese Bluray

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1901064&postcount=356
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm buying both. These movies are worth it Smile
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
@ AWA

https://twitter.com/TheSethAffect/status/252138406707068928
Quote:
Nisemonogatari will be a domestic release and most likely the same $150 price tag as Bakemonogatari.

https://twitter.com/TheSethAffect/status/252133398427082752
Quote:
#Aniplex Special Announcements: New Announcement coming next Monday. Was going to tell today but no clearance to do so.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Nice work on Nisemonogatari, WTK - you've scooped ANN!
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
It will be cool if we get some sort of Japanese styled complete box for Nise before Japan does. Now that is totally worth $150 and will make some foreign fans out there jealous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 39 of 108