• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Sad to say, my used sets didn't come with obis and I'm not expecting the third one that's coming by mail to either.

Don't feel too bad. My brand new ones didn't come with obis either. I wonder if that's something they did on a limited release or if luffypirate85 is thinking of a different release set.

I'll post a pic. There's really no benefit to having them. They are incredibly cheap looking. I was just amazed I found them still intact after so many years.

EDIT: Here's the pic. Never bought the third box. Fronts are advertisements for the manga. Sides list the volumes included. Backs are a breakdown of the contents. Nothing special really though I'm a whore for these things (bought two copies of Jin-Roh just to get an obi lol)

ManOfRust

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
Ahhh! I didn't know what you meant. Yeah, I have those, but only because I'm crazy about saving everything. I was thinking of some kind of fancy cloth extra, but those are just the paper wrappers that came around the boxes. I did fold mine up and put them in the boxes with the discs.

Blood- : did you check under the little cardboard insert that holds the discs in place? That's where I stuck the ones that came on my boxes. Maybe yours will be there.

I also save everything like that. I even save the advertising inserts and the little survey reply cards that come packed in most DVD cases. I'm not really sure why, but I don't like to just throw them away.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
@ MoR - I wasn't expecting to find the obis where you suggested, but since it couldn't hurt to at least check...

... yep, nothing. Good idea, though!
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
Over the last couple of days, my boyfriend and I have picked up for me:

Kobato. Volume 6
Alice in the Country of Clover: Bloody Twins
Alice in the Country of Clover: Cheshire Cat Waltz Volume 2

I probably would've gotten a few more books, since over the last weekend we've gone to two Barnes and Noble stores while we were out and about, but I had to firmly tell my boyfriend "no" before he spent the rest of his paycheck on manga. Anime hyper
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
AHHH!!!!!! I'm so pissed! A while back I ordered most of the viridian volumes of the basilisk dvd's from right stuff. Well they sent me all the right ones except for vol. 2,(they sent me the regular one) and I've been going back and forth with them trying to get the right one. So when it came in the mail today I was hoping it was going to be the right one. The person even told me they went and looked for it themselves so it would be the right one. I have right now three of the wrong dvd's. And now I have to talk to them again. Mad
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
AHHH!!!!!! I'm so pissed! A while back I ordered most of the viridian volumes of the basilisk dvd's from right stuff. Well they sent me all the right ones except for vol. 2,(they sent me the regular one) and I've been going back and forth with them trying to get the right one. So when it came in the mail today I was hoping it was going to be the right one. The person even told me they went and looked for it themselves so it would be the right one. I have right now three of the wrong dvd's. And now I have to talk to them again. Mad

My guess is customer care wasn't understanding that it's a packaging issue you are concerned about vs. getting you the correct item. Feel free to copy me on your request, we do have the veridian one in stock so I'm not sure why you are getting the wrong one. darklord (at) rightstuf.com.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
Bright_Spear wrote:

My guess is customer care wasn't understanding that it's a packaging issue you are concerned about vs. getting you the correct item. Feel free to copy me on your request, we do have the veridian one in stock so I'm not sure why you are getting the wrong one. darklord (at) rightstuf.com.

Already talked to them. And the packaging issue is about getting the correct item. You have two different items for the same vol., I wanted one, you guys keep sending me the other.

The time before this, the person knew what was the problem. I quote "I personally went back and picked out this item for you. I did see that both the DVD cases are identical except for the item # on the spine of the DVD case. The correct one will be in the mail to you tomorrow..." Which isn't correct anyway. The one I'm waiting for has the silver viridian collection label at the top. I can't see why its so hard to see the difference in the two. You did for vol. 1,3-5.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
It's a good thing you Supah!Collectors don't live with me. 'Cause you'd probably wake up one morning to find your obis and advertising inserts in the trash. Seeing stuff like that gives me the same feeling seeing white heads on people's faces: I wanna pick at it. I want it gone. It's a blemish. What are you doing saving it? *Twitch*

There's quite a bit I throw away nowadays. I keep DVD inserts and postcards and anything worthwhile. But stuff like those info cards stuck to the outside of the wrapping that FUNi has been using for their Limited Editions? Trash. Advertising inserts? Trash. Survey reply cards? Unless if I send one in, it's trash. Those placement holders that take the place of Part 2 in FUNi's Part 1 Limited Editions? Unless if the artwork is awesome, it's trash. I kept Spice & Wolf II's, but trashed Shiki's (Black and white picture of books and one character? Nothing special). I can't remember if Princess Jellyfish had one or not, but since I don't have it at home it would have been trashed if there was one. I just received Steins;Gate and I'm already forgetting what image was on it - since it's not memorable it will likely become trash once I get in Part 2.

Now I'm looking again at those obis around the Rurouni Kenshin LEs. Ugh, so ugly, so boring, so tacky, they're covering the pretty artwork underneath. How can you stand looking at it? It's like hanging a picture of the Mona Lisa on your wall and then partially covering it with advertisements for similar artwork... or bad fanart... or graffiti of penises.

Where do you live? I'm coming over with a lighter and a pair of scissors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, wasn't that pleasantly unhinged? Wink

I throw out everything except obi's because they're so rare. Most North American releases don't have them, so when one does I treat it like something special. I also keep all the ones from my Japanese imports (I only import music.)

That doesn't hide the unfortunate truth: those Kenshin ones are the ugliest obi's I have ever seen.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Yep. MoR has the right idea hiding them away under the cardboard inserts.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
edit

Last edited by Bright_Spear on Tue May 06, 2014 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:

willag... putting the "crazy" in "crazy fangirl"... Anime hyper
lem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
Well, wasn't that pleasantly unhinged? Wink

LOL Laughing

especially with the lighter and scissors. that killed me. but then I visualized someone actually doing that to my years of collecting Shocked I don't throw anything away or sell anything. Even if it's a show I can't stand like Angel Crap.. I'm such a damned packrat that I even have a box just for those empty box inserts that Funi includes with their 'limited editions' And lately if it's a show I really really like I find myself buying two just to keep one unopened. I'm sure there's a medical term for this but it's obviously beyond me.

luffypirate85 wrote:
EDIT: Here's the pic. Never bought the third box. Fronts are advertisements for the manga. Sides list the volumes included. Backs are a breakdown of the contents. Nothing special really though I'm a whore for these things (bought two copies of Jin-Roh just to get an obi lol)

I'm glad you finally found one complete. Now if I could just find a complete set of Orguss. I'd pay a pretty penny to have that on region 1 dvd.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
It's a good thing you Supah!Collectors don't live with me. 'Cause you'd probably wake up one morning to find your obis and advertising inserts in the trash. Seeing stuff like that gives me the same feeling seeing white heads on people's faces: I wanna pick at it. I want it gone. It's a blemish. What are you doing saving it? *Twitch*

There's quite a bit I throw away nowadays. I keep DVD inserts and postcards and anything worthwhile. But stuff like those info cards stuck to the outside of the wrapping that FUNi has been using for their Limited Editions? Trash. Advertising inserts? Trash. Survey reply cards? Unless if I send one in, it's trash. Those placement holders that take the place of Part 2 in FUNi's Part 1 Limited Editions? Unless if the artwork is awesome, it's trash. I kept Spice & Wolf II's, but trashed Shiki's (Black and white picture of books and one character? Nothing special). I can't remember if Princess Jellyfish had one or not, but since I don't have it at home it would have been trashed if there was one. I just received Steins;Gate and I'm already forgetting what image was on it - since it's not memorable it will likely become trash once I get in Part 2.

Now I'm looking again at those obis around the Rurouni Kenshin LEs. Ugh, so ugly, so boring, so tacky, they're covering the pretty artwork underneath. How can you stand looking at it? It's like hanging a picture of the Mona Lisa on your wall and then partially covering it with advertisements for similar artwork... or bad fanart... or graffiti of penises.

Laughing I've gotta' agree, I usually throw out the unnecessary trash too. Unless they're full slipcovers they get tossed, same with any inserts that aren't chapter listings (which no one even does anymore).
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I don't think you people realize that I am willing to do you a favor. You are all hoarders in the making. For now it's just inserts and Satan's-hairy-ass-ugly obis, but give it a few decades and you'll be swimming in your own shit-stained underwear searching for the kitchen sink (which became your new toilet years ago after you lost your old one) and climbing over a mini-Mt. Everest just to get to your bedroom.

I recognize you have a hard time getting rid of your unneeded junk, so I'll do it for ya. For free. I can see you guys are a bit hesitant with the lighter - don't worry, I understand, fires are pretty scary - just lemme bring a scalpel, hammer, and hachet, and I'll solve all of your problems for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 955 of 1399