Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Law Penalizing Downloaders, Criminalizing Ripping Goes Into Effect


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Cecilthedarkknight_234



Joined: 02 Apr 2011
Posts: 3408
Location: Louisville, KY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
say good bye to freedoms and make way for corporate a-holes shoving it up your a**.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 2772
Location: earth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
this has nothing to do with freedom. lol

This is already illegal in US. people who download copyrighted material got fined for big amount all the time. I had a friend in college got catch once for downloading music and movie is a prove.

lol @ people who think they should allow to get copyrighted material for free.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dan9999



Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Posts: 648

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
say good bye to freedoms and make way for corporate a-holes shoving it up your a**.



Indeed. Not like they are not already doing it anyway.

But well said Cecilthedarkknight_234. its nice to sometimes some here can see the big picture, NO, BEHIND THE PICTURE as well.

@Spotlesseden Since I know very well most here are pro-copyright, I wont bother to argue against it much anymore, its pointless as none will try to change opinion nor try to see objectively opinions against monopoly and innovation stopping tools...i mean laws, but I cannot help to throw in a little bit for your BAD choice to back your support for this law, so its illegal in the US you say, yea, its proving very effective right? Noone ripping, none sharing US shows, no sharing at all no....

Anyway, not like it will have any effect, freedom and innovation cannot be stopped, laws penalizing uploading already are in effect, heck you usually read here the arrest of the week, its impossible to restrict people to do what they want to do even more when ts NOT EVIL what they are doing no matter how much corps want to make them look like criminals, even more when they are ideals against evil never-ending greed of corporations that resist like cockroaches the idea that power and control of information is shifting to people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cecilthedarkknight_234



Joined: 02 Apr 2011
Posts: 3408
Location: Louisville, KY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
this has nothing to do with freedom. lol

This is already illegal in US. people who download copyrighted material got fined for big amount all the time. I had a friend in college got catch once for downloading music and movie is a prove.

lol @ people who think they should allow to get copyrighted material for free.


I'm not talking about downloading the movies t.v. shows or games via torrents or ddl. What I'm referring to copying and ripping movies you legally bought yourself for your own personal use. If some is illegally downloading from the net then yeah that's a different story and hard to defend at this point. However punishing some one for an act they may comment because they wanted a back up of 30 dollar movie should not be crime, if you had kids in your life you would understand why >_>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
dan9999



Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Posts: 648

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
this has nothing to do with freedom. lol

This is already illegal in US. people who download copyrighted material got fined for big amount all the time. I had a friend in college got catch once for downloading music and movie is a prove.

lol @ people who think they should allow to get copyrighted material for free.


I'm not talking about downloading the movies t.v. shows or games via torrents or ddl. What I'm referring to copying and ripping movies you legally bought yourself for your own personal use. If some is illegally downloading from the net then yeah that's a different story and hard to defend at this point. However punishing some one for an act they may comment because they wanted a back up of 30 dollar movie should not be crime, if you had kids in your life you would understand why >_>



LOL, What a letdown, and here I thought someone shared the perspective of really fixing the real issue for once here (changing the distribution model, innovating and doing away with an obsolete business model and monopoly perpetuating tools like copyright, I guess it was too good to be true Sad Well at least you don't believe blindly in darn corporations and its ambition of unlimited power and control and that criminalizing is WRONG, even if you limit it to the example you give, that much is good at least.

If people share on the net is because under their circumstances they primarily have no legal way to access information and at fair circumstances and with no, zero, nada, strings attached, many here forget its because those people that "fight" the "system" and force a change is why now many of you have the option to enjoy simulcasts on your beloved crunchyroll and similar ---that you used to call scum and all kind of insults like pirates, dirty scum ,thieves, etc, etc, etc, I remember very well, thankfully someone with vision and not narrow minded decided to innovate instead of fighting and criminalizing unjustly---- or worldwide releases otherwise the lot of you would be still crying that anime would take years to arrive to your doors, at least if you are from the US otherwise you would be pretty much screwed..

Darn, and here I said I was not gonna argue much...


Last edited by dan9999 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vgiannell5



Joined: 10 Jan 2012
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I doubt this law will last very long.

Even though their last protest against this law failed, the Japanese should try again. This time with even more determination and sway the government to lift this law or else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mewpudding101



Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 1295
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Although I understand some of the anger against copyright laws, for personal use, it's kind of... Stupid.

I'll admit. I do download. But I watch it once, and that's it, then I go and buy the DVDs later when they're out. The big reason for that is because the anime is on SO LATE.

Also, I make AMVs as an art style, so wait, I can't even rip my OWN DVDS to make them? What?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
ModalSilverSoul



Joined: 21 Mar 2012
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Although I understand some of the anger against copyright laws, for personal use, it's kind of... Stupid.

I'll admit. I do download. But I watch it once, and that's it, then I go and buy the DVDs later when they're out. The big reason for that is because the anime is on SO LATE.

Also, I make AMVs as an art style, so wait, I can't even rip my OWN DVDS to make them? What?!


I agree, I believe that there can be a balance between downloading fansubs & buying blu-rays or DVD's when they are released
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vata Raven



Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 695
Location: TN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
ModalSilverSoul wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
Although I understand some of the anger against copyright laws, for personal use, it's kind of... Stupid.

I'll admit. I do download. But I watch it once, and that's it, then I go and buy the DVDs later when they're out. The big reason for that is because the anime is on SO LATE.

Also, I make AMVs as an art style, so wait, I can't even rip my OWN DVDS to make them? What?!


I agree, I believe that there can be a balance between downloading fansubs & buying blu-rays or DVD's when they are released

Ripping your own DVDs isn't illegal. Where the hell do propel get this from? It's when you make copies and give them away or sell them that crosses the line. I make en exception on OOP titles.

And why download the damn movie? Why not rent it or legally stream it? There is no need to illegally download anything, not in this day and age.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ModalSilverSoul



Joined: 21 Mar 2012
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
ModalSilverSoul wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
Although I understand some of the anger against copyright laws, for personal use, it's kind of... Stupid.

I'll admit. I do download. But I watch it once, and that's it, then I go and buy the DVDs later when they're out. The big reason for that is because the anime is on SO LATE.

Also, I make AMVs as an art style, so wait, I can't even rip my OWN DVDS to make them? What?!


I agree, I believe that there can be a balance between downloading fansubs & buying blu-rays or DVD's when they are released

Ripping your own DVDs isn't illegal. Where the hell do propel get this from? it's when you make copies that cross the line.

And why download the damn movie? Why not rent it or legally stream it? There is no need to illegally download anything, not in this day and age.


I know these excuses are used often, but not everything is available for legal stream, or sites like crunchyroll aren't available in my country.

But one of my main arguments is that there are too many subscriptions for various services.

Like you need to pay a monthly fee for hd streaming content from crunchyroll, funimation, theanimenetwork, etc.. I'd rather invest my money in physical releases like DVD's & BD's.

I'm not trying to sound like a no good anime pirate though..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dan9999



Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Posts: 648

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:


.....

And why download the damn movie? Why not rent it or legally stream it? There is no need to illegally download anything, not in this day and age.


...Yea sure, no need right, everything available via streajm ...rent..legally you say, sure.

It must be a bad dream this. forget dream NIGHTMARE I am having because what about the usual for those unlucky ones outside NORTH AMERICA (before some one comes and tries to argue this, yes, I do know sometimes latin americans and europeans are lucky to have some streams their way too...sometimes), yes, because not sure if you know but theres life outside the USA/NA as well, you know the: "this is not available in your country" message and only a VERY LIMITED number of titles are available for streaming legally or maybe YOU ARE FROM THE FUTURE in which everything is available, we may add legally, and no need to use other "methods", that must be a nice future indeed, I envy you for such nice desirable reality.

May I suggest you to read the whole story and the law its being discussed? Its evident you don't know what we are talking about, this makes ripping illegal EVEN for personal private use, may I suggest to check the story(ies) of ripping software causing legal trouble in Japan...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 2772
Location: earth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
say good bye to freedoms and make way for corporate a-holes shoving it up your a**.



Indeed. Not like they are not already doing it anyway.

But well said Cecilthedarkknight_234. its nice to sometimes some here can see the big picture, NO, BEHIND THE PICTURE as well.

@Spotlesseden Since I know very well most here are pro-copyright, I wont bother to argue against it much anymore, its pointless as none will try to change opinion nor try to see objectively opinions against monopoly and innovation stopping tools...i mean laws, but I cannot help to throw in a little bit for your BAD choice to back your support for this law, so its illegal in the US you say, yea, its proving very effective right? Noone ripping, none sharing US shows, no sharing at all no....

Anyway, not like it will have any effect, freedom and innovation cannot be stopped, laws penalizing uploading already are in effect, heck you usually read here the arrest of the week, its impossible to restrict people to do what they want to do even more when ts NOT EVIL what they are doing no matter how much corps want to make them look like criminals, even more when they are ideals against evil never-ending greed of corporations that resist like cockroaches the idea that power and control of information is shifting to people.


I never said anything works. or what's not work. illegal is illegal. if you think break the law is ok. then so be it. I break the laws all the time too. I never get punished for it. I drunk and drive two time, speeding many times, I even bought illegal drug for a friend once. It's not like the laws can stop people from doing anything illegal. It never worked.

There is nothing the laws can do about it even if i said it on the internet because there is no prove.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/​2012/​09/​27/​killing-​is-​the-​solution-​gang-​member-​tells-​walter-​jacobson/​

this article tell you all.
"But he says the police cannot catch them or exact any consequences.

“I laugh at the police,” he said. “They’re a joke to me.”"


since people don't care about the laws and don't care about the police, we should have no law right?

Edit:

what da the hell illegal download has anything to do with freedom and innovation? I can argue illegal drugs have more to do with freedom, creativity than illegal download.

Nobody cares about ripping. They only create the laws because people start sharing.


Last edited by Spotlesseden on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:40 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jsieczkar



Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
ModalSilverSoul wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
Although I understand some of the anger against copyright laws, for personal use, it's kind of... Stupid.

I'll admit. I do download. But I watch it once, and that's it, then I go and buy the DVDs later when they're out. The big reason for that is because the anime is on SO LATE.

Also, I make AMVs as an art style, so wait, I can't even rip my OWN DVDS to make them? What?!


I agree, I believe that there can be a balance between downloading fansubs & buying blu-rays or DVD's when they are released

Ripping your own DVDs isn't illegal. Where the hell do propel get this from? It's when you make copies and give them away or sell them that crosses the line. I make en exception on OOP titles.

And why download the damn movie? Why not rent it or legally stream it? There is no need to illegally download anything, not in this day and age.

It is legal in the US to make a copy of a DVD / Blu-Ray it is illegal to use a tool that circumvents the copy protection.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 10225

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
vgiannell5 wrote:

Even though their last protest against this law failed, the Japanese should try again. This time with even more determination and sway the government to lift this law or else.


Japanese aren't exactly known for activism.


mewpudding101 wrote:

Also, I make AMVs as an art style, so wait, I can't even rip my OWN DVDS to make them? What?!


Just like copying parts of a book for some specified purposes is considered "fair use," ripping sections of copy-protected DVDs for aforementioned specified uses is OK. (There's legal software for this like Cinematize.) Unfortunately, Japan so far doesn't have a "fair use" clause; yet they impose a prison term.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dan9999



Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Posts: 648

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
say good bye to freedoms and make way for corporate a-holes shoving it up your a**.



Indeed. Not like they are not already doing it anyway.

But well said Cecilthedarkknight_234. its nice to sometimes some here can see the big picture, NO, BEHIND THE PICTURE as well.

@Spotlesseden Since I know very well most here are pro-copyright, I wont bother to argue against it much anymore, its pointless as none will try to change opinion nor try to see objectively opinions against monopoly and innovation stopping tools...i mean laws, but I cannot help to throw in a little bit for your BAD choice to back your support for this law, so its illegal in the US you say, yea, its proving very effective right? Noone ripping, none sharing US shows, no sharing at all no....

Anyway, not like it will have any effect, freedom and innovation cannot be stopped, laws penalizing uploading already are in effect, heck you usually read here the arrest of the week, its impossible to restrict people to do what they want to do even more when ts NOT EVIL what they are doing no matter how much corps want to make them look like criminals, even more when they are ideals against evil never-ending greed of corporations that resist like cockroaches the idea that power and control of information is shifting to people.


I never said anything works. or what not work. illegal is illegal. if you think break the law is ok. then so be it. I break the law all the time too. I never get punished it. I drink and drive two time, speeding many time, I even bought illegal drug for a friend once. It's not like the law can stop people from doing anything illegal. It never worked.

There is nothing the law can do about it even if i said it on the internet because there is no prove.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/​2012/​09/​27/​killing-​is-​the-​solution-​gang-​member-​tells-​walter-​jacobson/​

this article tell you all.
"But he says the police cannot catch them or exact any consequences.

“I laugh at the police,” he said. “They’re a joke to me.”"


since people don't care about the laws and don't care about the police. We should have no law right?


You go way off topic and taking out of complete context my words. you go off to talk about REAL criminal acts like murder, you know I specifically cited the criminalization of downloading/uploading and take things out of context just to try to win the upperhand.

You know I specified that I am against tools = laws that only purpose is to perpetuate power, prevent innovation, stop all kind of competition, if you think copyright is there to make artists earn money I tell you before hand with all due respect that you are naive and cannot see beyond your nose, its anything but that.

After that let me just answer you:

So we should follow ANY AND ALL LAWS BLINDLY? So you assume all laws are just, fair and we just have to follow them without raising any questions? IUf you don't go read you last post and you will see it sound like that...

So if I take out of proportion things as you did I could tell you then what about when enslaving was legal in some many parts of the world? If people must follow the many laws and never challenge their validity so many of the injustices our ancestors fought and gave their lives for would be alive in this day and age, many countries would still be under the rule and laws of the conquerors....

See what happen when you go out of context as you did? You fail to pinpoint my point, I never said laws are useless, but those laws are many time created not to protect the people as they should but to protect evil interest of a few and against the people.

Criminalizing sharers is harsh and its totally out of proportion, and people should not follow blindly totally unjust laws just to have happy the copyright monopoly and corporations wishes, more importantly when I said it wont work its not because anyone can brake the law, no I said it wont work mainly because people does not think they are doing anything wrong while sharing -google the many independent objective studies that confirm this--, and I agree, because MANY of them have no legal alternatives, that's why penalizing sharing is not the solution and will never be, not eve retarded new laws, I already said what I believe is a possible solution.

Many have already pointed out that around the world the pushing for harsher laws against the internet and sharers go really out of proportion than murders have less harsher consequences, if that doe snot tell you how immoral these laws that only protect monopolies are I dunno what can.

Like so many jokes on the net go about this:

In some random prison int he world:
Prisoner A: Why are you here prisoner b, c and d?
Prisoner b: A killed someone
Prisoner c: I raped 5 girls
Prisoner d: I downloaded and ep of One Piece

That absurdly the copyright monopoly tries to instigate fear in this digital age.


Last edited by dan9999 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:54 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group