• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: English Niconico.com to Retire, Re-Open Under Main Site on October 17

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
Makes sense. It was always weird how both NicoNicoDouga and NicoNico.com shared accounts but didn't share videos.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
Honestly, back when the whole "Funico" thing was announced and I first learned what NicoNico even was, I was wondering why they weren't just doing what they're doing now. It makes sense and I might actually have a reason to use my account now.

It'd be nice if FUNimation's streaming deal could keep going...when they were running the new Last Exile I much preferred the video quality there to what I could get off of Hulu.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
Did they show ANYthing besides Black Rock Shooter afterwards?

I went there recently, their only listing was Black Rock Shooter. I liked it, but there have certainly been other titles since then, right?
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
Other than the streaming service, I'll admit, I didn't even bother using Niconico. When they stopped getting new anime, I never even bothered with it.

I wonder if, once the transfer is complete, they'll go back to streaming anime for english speaking audiences. Would be nice.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Makes sense. It was always weird how both NicoNicoDouga and NicoNico.com shared accounts but didn't share videos.

I think they did that to segregate japanese users and englisher users, particularly for the scrolling comments. If I recall, you could access the Japanese videos on niconico if you pasted the url or at least the id in the right form, but they weren't regularly available for browsing
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
its nice to see the web page is improved over the last site.
I used it very little.

places like Funimation.com and crunchyroll.com even the theanimenewsnetwork.com and vizanime.com were good enough for me. Add hulu to that list and the amount of anime online is great.

its neat to see the site translates easy as well. It would be nice if the trans soft ware could trans whole pages.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
Why close and then re-open the site? Couldn't they just change the DNS record and be done with it?
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
They're merging it into the Japanese site and it sounds like they're leaving it up a little while after they do so. They probably will change the records once they shut down the original English site.
gwdone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
That was the only site I could see Blood-c. I'm hoping for an official release so I can add that series to my existing Blood+ , movie and live action Blood collection. Blood-c gets pretty freaky towards the end. I love it!
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I signed up for it when it was announced, all happy-- then I never used it. No wonder why Funico and any other plans went nowhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:
That was the only site I could see Blood-c. I'm hoping for an official release so I can add that series to my existing Blood+ , movie and live action Blood collection. Blood-c gets pretty freaky towards the end. I love it!

Well, it has been licensed by FUNimation, so it will be getting an a release through them.
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling there just wasn't enough userbase behind niconico.com to keep maintaining it. Feels like an admission of failure to lump it all back under the Japanese domain when it's English content.

They just weren't able to draw many users away from Youtube like they had hoped, I imagine.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Primus wrote:

I think they did that to segregate japanese users and englisher users, particularly for the scrolling comments. If I recall, you could access the Japanese videos on niconico if you pasted the url or at least the id in the right form, but they weren't regularly available for browsing

While it sucks that comments won't be carried over, the move makes a whole lot of sense. Niconico (the parent company) is trying to unite all of its serivces under one brand and have been testing the waters in handling comments and viewerships for different regions, including English ones (i.e. Black Rock Shooter's first webcast, Fate/Zero, even the Ruoroni Kenshin & Madoka special events). In addition, the Niconico.com service was in its beta phase, so nothing was truly ever finalized yet for it.

All-in-all, I'm just grateful that they did not furlough the English version entirely, just simply consolidated it to the main site. Now, let's hope that they continue to offer anime to those viewers…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
QuinnM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Long overdue! But at last!

No idea why they didn't just do this in the first place like they did with their official Spanish version (not to mention the whole niconico.com site looked like a grad student vomited it up overnight vs the professional looking official site).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1