• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Super Robot Chogokin Megazord

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Do you know what would look awesome next to that?

That thing is almost as old as me. It used to my brothers and I always so envious of him even though I had the Megazord, Thunderzord (WITHOUT THE RED DRAGON BECAUSE BANDAI IS STUPID!), Mega Voyager, Stratoforce/Centaurus, Torozord, Supertrain, Max Solarzord, Wild Force Megazord, and Predazord, but I was always jealous that he had the Dragonzord until he gave it to me...12 years ago? Sucks that it's the only one I still have.

That would actually probably make for a pretty sweet Christmas gift for him, though. I'll have to look into it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Man, the Chogokin line look so amazing. I'm glad that my tastes go more to the DX items than those or the Figuarts, or my wallet would be hurting more than it already is.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Ah memories. Even if I had known that Power Rangers was an Americanization of super sentai as a kid, I still can't deny that I watched it.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Man, that is pretty sweet. I really hope they do the Carranger one it has always been one of my favourites. I am not a big fan of the Megazord's design over all but I think that can be said for a lot of sentai robots (for me personally). Though on top of Carranger I do really like the Magiranger one and the Gokaiger one, they are pretty sweet.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
MY NOSTALGIA!

Man, although I've never seen the original Super Sentai versions, I watched Power Rangers straight through until Lost Galaxy - after that I stopped, because that's pretty much when they started replacing the entire cast (and world, and plot, and enemies) every two years or so. But I still have so much nostalgia from the beginning, and I remember begging my parents over and over again for the Megazord (the put-em-together version). I finally managed to get my hands on the pieces for the Ninja Megazord (complete with attachable Falconzord). I still have all the pieces, though they aren't currently put together - hopefully I can display them when I get my new display case set up after I move. Very Happy

As much as I love them, though, I will be eternally sad that I never got the Thunderzord set. That one just tickled my mythology buttosn so much. Le sigh.

::watches her Geek Level rise::
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
There a number of chogokin toys that can be taken apart and played with, so it's always a bit disappointing when they put one that can't. That said, usually they only make the less complex mechas playable. There's also the issue of articulation, which is more difficult with complex robots.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
(WITHOUT THE RED DRAGON BECAUSE BANDAI IS STUPID!)

haha I had JUST the Red Dragon - it came with a small Red Ranger figure that could ride on the top of the head xD

The figure makes sense in Japan too - it's a popular series. Bandai probably does well with the Power Rangers toys I imagine as they get to release many of the toys in both countries - so it makes sense all round.

I have to say Zords/MegaZord is a much cooler name than the ones we usually have in the Japanese originals - I mean, it's DaiZyuJin - Great Prehistoric Person?! xD (and in fact, they've called the Mecha "Zords" in the Sentai shows now a couple times now.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
dangerwhat wrote:
I have to say Zords/MegaZord is a much cooler name than the ones we usually have in the Japanese originals - I mean, it's DaiZyuJin - Great Prehistoric Person?! xD

Its actually Great Dino God.....since the robot is actually GOD. As in, the burning bush version of god.

The SRC line is a goldmine of affordable super robo goodness, and honestly I can't wait until the SRW ones start to show up (I wonder if Aussenseiter and Dygengaur can do REAL MEN RIDE EACH OTHER?) I am miffed that we are just getting plain ol Ryuseioh as a representative of Dairangers instead of Dairenoh. (These are the Thunderzords, people.)
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
dangerwhat wrote:
I have to say Zords/MegaZord is a much cooler name than the ones we usually have in the Japanese originals - I mean, it's DaiZyuJin - Great Prehistoric Person?! xD

Its actually Great Dino God.....since the robot is actually GOD. As in, the burning bush version of god.

yes lol that sounds much better, thank you - I was just working off the top of my head. I should have realized it, I guess, makes sense but I mean, I didn't look at the kanji. Just the same, MegaZord is catchier, I guess. Of course, the ZyuRanger line was a little different than Power Rangers - being that they were members of prehistoric tribes versus "Teenagers With Attitude" xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Well,looks like interest in the "Power Rangers" is returning. Although it's interesting to see how the Japanese did things,I kind of like the American version a little better.
IdeaOfEvil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote
I've been a giant robot fan for nearly 30 years, and the first Power Rangers/Zyuranger mechs were always fantastic. Even the follow up line with the Shogun zord and the White Tiger stuff was leaps and bounds better than the past few years designs. Hell, I haven't purchased a giant robot from the PR line since the White Tiger Zord days and I refuse to even pick up the box of a newer zord today because they look so crappy. I'm so glad I kept all my older toys and that I have everything in their original boxes without any stickers applied to the toys...

Thanks to this write up, I just ordered two of these from Ami and I can't wait to bust one open and check it out =)
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
IdeaOfEvil wrote:
I've been a giant robot fan for nearly 30 years, and the first Power Rangers/Zyuranger mechs were always fantastic. Even the follow up line with the Shogun zord and the White Tiger stuff was leaps and bounds better than the past few years designs. Hell, I haven't purchased a giant robot from the PR line since the White Tiger Zord days and I refuse to even pick up the box of a newer zord today because they look so crappy. I'm so glad I kept all my older toys and that I have everything in their original boxes without any stickers applied to the toys...

Thanks to this write up, I just ordered two of these from Ami and I can't wait to bust one open and check it out =)

The thing with the Sentai/PR robots for me is that they often look pretty good to start and become progressively uglier as they go on because of the mandate to throw at least 20 extra machines onto the thing.

Like here's Shinken-Oh. The robot has a nice, distinctive look: it's kind of weird and asymmetrical in the way all these designs are, but I like it.

Here's a DX transformer of the final form, Mougyu Daioh. The combination is Rube Goldberg-esque, a punchline that just keeps going. It's a sort of spectacle, being the size of a water cooler and all, but it's pretty damn ugly as well.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:

The thing with the Sentai/PR robots for me is that they often look pretty good to start and become progressively uglier as they go on because of the mandate to throw at least 20 extra machines onto the thing.

Actually the whole "slap 20 machines to make an ultimate form" is only a modern Sentai thing, starting with Boukengers 10 piece Ultimate Daibouken, to the 12 piecers started with Go-onger, so its only been in the last 5 years clusterf*ck combinations have been done in Sentai.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Actually the whole "slap 20 machines to make an ultimate form" is only a modern Sentai thing, starting with Boukengers 10 piece Ultimate Daibouken, to the 12 piecers started with Go-onger, so its only been in the last 5 years clusterf*ck combinations have been done in Sentai.

That's certainly when it started getting crazy, but it's with GaoRanger that the bots started looking more like building blocks with the interchangeable/universal parts. Can't help but think that paved the way for the insanity we see today. It's like they said, hey, we've got a few dozen bots in this series that we can mix and match, we should find a way for all of them to make one big bot!

Though I think the real culprit here is Bandai's own Machine Robo Mugenbine line. Bandai even made one combination that had 40 characters! Those were basically what Sentai have become today.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

That's certainly when it started getting crazy, but it's with GaoRanger that the bots started looking more like building blocks with the interchangeable/universal parts. Can't help but think that paved the way for the insanity we see today. It's like they said, hey, we've got a few dozen bots in this series that we can mix and match, we should find a way for all of them to make one big bot!

Sure, marketing was having a field day with Gaoranger, but even with the mix and match parts, they still adhered to the classic 5 robot composition. It wasn't like Go-onger, when they just started duct-taping things together, and probably wore out a couple of stuntmen. At least SamuraiHa-oh has a throne/chariot to ride in, otherwise that poor guy will snap in half.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1