• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Recently got:
Pumpkin Scissors Complete Collection
Red Garden Complete Collection
Welcome to the NHK Complete Collection
Xenosaga Complete Collection
Steins;Gate Part 1 Limited Edition
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Thanks, Alan45! I didn't know these premium boxes even existed until a few days ago. I had intended to get the complete series set which is currently going for $120 at TRSI at some point in the future, but I'm prepared to pay extry to get the purty boxes...

Since I had bought the DVD singles, I ordered the empty boxes a long time ago (TRSI links for the first one, second one, and third one). Wow, that was about nine years ago. I don't recall where they are now. I either still have them, gave 'em away, or just tossed them into the recycle bin. ^_^
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:

Now I'm looking again at those obis around the Rurouni Kenshin LEs. Ugh, so ugly, so boring, so tacky, they're covering the pretty artwork underneath. How can you stand looking at it? It's like hanging a picture of the Mona Lisa on your wall and then partially covering it with advertisements for similar artwork... or bad fanart... or graffiti of penises.

Where do you live? I'm coming over with a lighter and a pair of scissors.

I don't usually keep them wrapped around the boxes like in the picture. I tuck them away inside. Yes, the are incredibly cheap but I do have a fascination with them. I just like obis.

lem wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
EDIT: Here's the pic. Never bought the third box. Fronts are advertisements for the manga. Sides list the volumes included. Backs are a breakdown of the contents. Nothing special really though I'm a whore for these things (bought two copies of Jin-Roh just to get an obi lol)

I'm glad you finally found one complete. Now if I could just find a complete set of Orguss. I'd pay a pretty penny to have that on region 1 dvd.

Thank you lem. It ended up costing me quite a bit of cash but I got it and it feels good. I wish you the best with Orguss.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Preorder from the TRSI FUNimation sale:

Fafner Movie: Heaven and Earth DVD/Blue-Ray set
Serial Experiments Lain DVD/Blu-ray Complete Collection

I have the Geneon singles and artbox for the Fafner TV show and am not going to double dip on that but I decided to get the movie for completeness and to get free shipping on the Serial Experiments Lain set, which is a double-dip. Ironically, I probably paid as much or more for the Signature Series singles as I bought them back in 2004 from Best Buy, I think they cost about $15 each. Seeing the "Hey, nice package" video cemented my decision to get the new set.

Now, if it only had an obi... Smile
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
LOL Charlie.

I forgot to post what I bought! Leonmitchelli Nendoroid from AmiAmi! I will have three DOG DAYS Nendoroids come March yay.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
Now if I could just find a complete set of Orguss. I'd pay a pretty penny to have that on region 1 dvd.

Ugh. I'm still kicking myself for not buying that when it came out. It was one of those series where I told myself, "I can always pick it up later."

Ooops... Anime cry
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm I'm trying to think if I should pre-order Lain now... It's not titled as an LE so I'm expecting it to be around for a while, but does anyone think it'll go lower than $42?
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
The impression I got from the video was that FUNimation is sending this Lain set up as a kind of "trial baloon" in terms of trying to do packages similar to what Japanese fans are getting. However, knowing them, I would not be surprised if a lower-priced version comes out sometime down the road. I would not expect to see this version come down too far unless they make too many, and I don't think they will do that on this one.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Hm, that's interesting if that is their intent with it! Hopefully they will do more releases like it. Of course, I'm sure they'll re-release it two... three times, but wasn't sure if it would be as limited as the other LE chip boards.

...also for some reason I was thinking it was $42, but it's actually $54... Well, I have until the 8th to think it over, because I wouldn't be getting it for any more than that price... I was sort of hoping that if I hold out, maybe it'll be up for holiday sales, but if I wait, it might not go down in price for a while, or sell out by then.

-_- I hate budget restrictions...
lem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
what I bought/just showed up for my viewing and reading pleasure
On disc
One Piece Collection 8
Heaven's Memo pad on blu (something of a blind buy)
the newer release of Nadesico (it came with a cool red and white magnet, perfect for my metal shelving)

Manga
20th Century Boys 22
Berserk 36
Higurashi 19
House of Five Leaves 8 (Finally!)
Hunter x Hunter 28
Yotsuba Volume 11

ManOfRust wrote:
lem wrote:
Now if I could just find a complete set of Orguss. I'd pay a pretty penny to have that on region 1 dvd.

Ugh. I'm still kicking myself for not buying that when it came out. It was one of those series where I told myself, "I can always pick it up later."

Ooops... Anime cry

to add insult to my newb injury I bought Volume 1 when it was first available at RACS years ago. All the while thinking 'ok if this first one is my cup o' tea I'll go ahead and get the set... and it never happened.

willag wrote:
Hey, I don't think you people realize that I am willing to do you a favor....
...I recognize you have a hard time getting rid of your unneeded junk, so I'll do it for ya. For free. I can see you guys are a bit hesitant with the lighter - don't worry, I understand, fires are pretty scary - just lemme bring a scalpel, hammer, and hachet, and I'll solve all of your problems for you.

I'm certainly not against favors. I just can't see how those various implements of destruction would work any better than fire. oh. but wait... your problem solving will be of the surgical variety.Shocked

ok. uh, Does anyone know of a Collection management class that I can attend? Anime cry
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
Placed a manga order at TRSI consisting of:
Bleach vol. 44
Bleach vol. 45
Bleach vol. 46
Bleach vol. 47
Bleach vol. 48
Bleach vol. 49
Naruto vol. 58
hpulley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
Amazon.co.jp and DHL love me right now. Today the last of my recent orders will arrive, then I will have to watch out for new volumes as they come. In the last while I got some light novels and manga for series I saw in anime this year or have read in monthly mags but wanted the tankobons. All Japanese, all received last week or this week:

Birdy the Mighty 1-20
Birdy the Mighty EVOLUTION 13
Boku wa H ga Dekinai light novels 1-9, manga 1-3 + Caesar's Carnal Desire 1
Tasogare Otome x Amunijia / Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 1-7
Tari Tari 1
Kokoro Connect light novel Asu Random 1, 4 col manga 2
Nozoki Ana 1-12
Campione light novels 1-5 8 11-13
Gangan Joker September (mostly for the Tari Tari poster...)

Yes, I have some reading to keep me busy for a while. Have so many series to look out for the next issue...
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
During the Right Stuf Viz sale, I got the first six volumes of Ooku. I read the first four at the library and loved it.

I also finally got the live action Mushishi movie during the Funimation sale. The anime and manga are some of my favorites.

I also finally took the plunge and purchased all of Twin Spica after reading so much praise for it. I love a good manga series.

I also feel like an otaku now because I bought my first hug pillow. It was incredibly hard to find a non sexual one.

And someone was selling the Megahouse 1/8 scale Cure Blossom figure I had been wanting for a more reasonable price, so I just couldn't pass it up.
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Instead of throwing the slipcovers, obi's, filler boxes, and whatever else away that you don't want, you could always try to list them on ebay. I have seen slipcovers listed on ebay and people bidding on them. Just gather everything up and list it. It wouldn't hurt to try. You would be suprised Surprised what people will bid on.

Back on to the topic, I bought Aquarian Age the movie limited edition.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
From the comic shop today:

Girl Friends vol. 1
Dance in the Vampire Bund vol 13

and technically not manga, Witch & Wizard art by Svetlana Chmakova
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 956 of 1399