• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A few questions about Bleach (*Spoilers).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
1. What exactly did the Hogyoku do? I know it has something to do with spoiler[blending the powers of Hollow and Shinigami], but I don't know anything further then that. Even when watching the show, I always just took it as a plot device that helped further spoiler[Aizen] along.

2. Does time pass slower in Soul Society (Compared to Mortal time)?

3. Hollows are spoiler[the monstrous forms of unsettled souls ], right? Is it clear what makes one lead to the other? Further, can Hollows ever invade Soul Society (and have they before?)

4. Shikai is spoiler[Unlocking an ability] and Bankai is spoiler[Evolving that ability further], right?

5. How long has the current proprietors of Soul Society been around? I mean the[/spoiler] current captains and officialsspoiler[.

That's all for now, I think...thank you very much! ]
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
I'll do my best.

ZorgonXtreme wrote:
1. What exactly did the Hogyoku do? I know it has something to do with spoiler[blending the powers of Hollow and Shinigami], but I don't know anything further then that. Even when watching the show, I always just took it as a plot device that helped further spoiler[Aizen] along.

spoiler[Aizen could already blend Shinigami and Hollow before getting the Hogyoku, so it just served as a power source for him. Or something. It's kind of confusing.]

ZorgonXtreme wrote:
2. Does time pass slower in Soul Society (Compared to Mortal time)?

I don't think so. Shinigami just happen to live longer.

ZorgonXtreme wrote:
3. Hollows are spoiler[the monstrous forms of unsettled souls ], right? Is it clear what makes one lead to the other? Further, can Hollows ever invade Soul Society (and have they before?)

Hollows are formed from spoiler[regretful souls. I don't think they've ever broken into Soul Society before.]

ZorgonXtreme wrote:
4. Shikai is spoiler[Unlocking an ability] and Bankai is spoiler[Evolving that ability further], right?

Yes, they are transformations of the sword's soul.

5. How long has the current proprietors of Soul Society been around? I mean the[/spoiler] current captains and officials[spoiler].[/quote]

spoiler[Yamamoto and the captains of squads four, eight and thirteen have all been around for two thousands years.]
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:12 am Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:

spoiler[It's a wish fulfilling device. It can materialize a desire of the person Hogyoku recognizes as its master. That Hollow and Shinigami blending happened because that is what Urahara wished for.]
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
It's basically the standard poltergeist story. Once a person dies, the chain connecting the soul to the body is severed and starts corroding because of their regrets. If the soul is not found and ferried over by a Shinigami, the chain completely degrades and the soul becomes a Hollow.

The space between worlds generally acts as a natural trap for anyone attempting to intrude on Soul Society.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the help, guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm still a bit foggy on the Hogyoku, though. I remember now that somebody (in the show) also said it was a wish-granting device, but I also kinda remember that spoiler[Aizen] had one too? Or something. And how was it made? Where did it come from?

Maybe these questions are best left unanswered.

I have another simple question, though: SO, Shinigami routinely patrol the living world, right? Like, a certain number are stationed around to fight Hollows?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
I'm still a bit foggy on the Hogyoku, though. I remember now that somebody (in the show) also said it was a wish-granting device, but I also kinda remember that spoiler[Aizen] had one too? Or something. And how was it made? Where did it come from?

spoiler[Sandal-Hat made it, realised it was too powerful so hid it inside Rukia's body for safe keeping. He also planned that if Ichigo couldn't rescue her then it would be destroyed in the fire of that huge giant flame bird. But then Aizen extracted it from her body at the end of the Soul Society arc and skedaddled to Hueco Mundo.]

ZorgonXtreme wrote:
I have another simple question, though: SO, Shinigami routinely patrol the living world, right? Like, a certain number are stationed around to fight Hollows?

Shinigami that are posted to our world each patrols a certain area. Before she lost her powers in the first episode, Rukia was the Shinigami in charge of Karakura Town (or whatever it's called).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1